Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO - MEX: Best routing option for AA Flagship Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - MEX: Best routing option for AA Flagship Dining

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
My recommendation (not AA unfortunately):
Do SFO-ZRH-MUC-FRA-MEX in F.
You will have access to the F lounges in 3 different airports with excellent food.
A bit of a detour and a bit more expensive.
Yea.. The LOL moment I had was when I was multi-city routed: SFO-JFK-MIA-MEX-DFW-LAX-SFO in F and was quoted $8k+... Dream on AA!!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Agree with poster above re LAX. If you fly through LAX and are exp or owe, you get access to Qantas Lounge which is better imho than flagship options. I'd be surprised if its more expensive to fly through lax generally for you ... it may be the fare buckets on the flights you are looking at and lax will soon be down to one daily mex flight.

DFW and phx just have admirals clubs although dfw has a new centurion lounge if you have amex plat.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Flagship First Dining for international passengers on qualifying flights requires (three class) Flagship First, as it does on qualifying transcontinental flights (JFK to / from LAX or SFO on the A321T in Flagship First). Two class First or international Business are not qualifying for Flagship First Dining, Qualifying Flights must be operated by AA (with the exception of any airlines with access agreements, such as CX at JFK for their four class First passengers).

If you’re EP, Qantas First in LAX TBIT is better than Flagship First Dining anyway. If not, with USA-MEX in Business, you’ll still qualify (SFO-LAX-MEX) for the Admirals Club at SFO, and Club or Flagship Lounge or oneworld Business Lounge at LAX, or (SFO-DFW-MEX) SFO Club, DFW Clubs or interim Premium Lounge (meh).
C17PSGR and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Looking like the SFO-DFW-MEX-DFW-SFO route is the winner. Besides it's the only (hot) meal up front option available on all legs of the flights. Not that it's something special indeed (meals on AA in J/F). But sometimes it helps one to relax with the hustle and bustle through airports and not carting food along as well.

Again thanks all for the tips/suggestions and advice. Much appreciated indeed.
JDiver and Science Goy like this.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Oct 7, 2018 at 9:49 pm Reason: clarity made in post
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Looking like the SFO-DFW-MEX-DFW-SFO route is the winner. Besides it's the only (hot) meal up front option available on all legs of the flights. Not that it's something special indeed (meals on AA in J/F). But sometimes it helps one to relax with the hustle and bustle through airports and not carting food along as well.

Again thanks all for the tips/suggestions and advice. Much appreciated indeed.
I'd hit the Popeye's at DFW for lunch and take it to the AC to go along with the free Miller Lite ;-) (Seriously!)
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've never understood this obsession about airline food, considering its at best one step above Applebees. I can't imagine spending $$ and flying around half the globe for the chance of getting into a FL.
MikeBOS and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lengths people will go to for a free meal!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The lengths people will go to for a free meal!
It's not free. It's pre-paid as part of your ticket cost at an exorbitant markup.
ijgordon, Zacnlinc, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Here is what you were waiting for OP

Here is the hot food at the "FLAGSHIP" lounge at DFW D. Yes, it's a "temporary" lounge but that doesn't matter when it comes to food offerings. You could put a tent on the tarmac and call it the "temporary lounge" and still serve better food than this.

Two hot "food" offerings at the lounge. I snapped these back in May. Do you really want to fly to Dallas to eat this?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I hope OP is spending a few days in MEX - there are so many great TR and posts about great dining, culture, and walking tours to enjoy in MEX. I don’t even think LH FCT food is worth the time and cost to get there! But there is a fun TR for Europe to MEX via LH F.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I've never understood this obsession about airline food, considering its at best one step above Applebees. I can't imagine spending $$ and flying around half the globe for the chance of getting into a FL.
Must agree. Airline food be it CX, LH, AA or whomever (and yes I have had them all) is simply not that good over-all.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I completely agree with you and yet, that seems to be largely what FT is obsessed about anymore. People on FT generally seem to be way, way over indexed on airport lounges and "free" hotel breakfast. Its becoming borderline bizarre.

Regards
MikeBOS, GTITAN and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Here is the hot food at the "FLAGSHIP" lounge at DFW D. Yes, it's a "temporary" lounge but that doesn't matter when it comes to food offerings. You could put a tent on the tarmac and call it the "temporary lounge" and still serve better food than this.

Two hot "food" offerings at the lounge. I snapped these back in May. Do you really want to fly to Dallas to eat this?
I don't think this is what OP was referring to. I assume they meant Flagship First Dining, not the "buffet" in the FL
Currently this is only in LAX , MIA and JFK... Not "Dallas"
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rst-dining.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I've never understood this obsession about airline food, considering its at best one step above Applebees.
Hey that's an insult to Applebees .

I will admit to being psyched at the chance to visit new lounges over the years, the two Concorde Rooms being at the top of the list. But in those instances i was always going JFK-LHR or v/v for a reason, and it was a question of changing carriers or using BA miles to upgrade to F. And my excitement was clearly more about the booze on offer vs the food .
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't think this is what OP was referring to. I assume they meant Flagship First Dining, not the "buffet" in the FL
Currently this is only in LAX , MIA and JFK... Not "Dallas"
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rst-dining.jsp
Correct!! Not just flying to MEX just for the sake of having a chance to dine at Flagship Lounge First dinning. Was just curious if it was going to be an option while enroute. JDiver's Mexico City thread settled the matter for me as I am looking forward to dinning in CDMX.

And I agree with you scubado, some FT peeps are way over indexed indeed.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.