Search

Back on AA after * Alliance move

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Man, I thought the UA board was bad.

Basically, 3-4 people are saying that I'm lying because AA offered to rebook me, saying that AA would NEVER do that. Yet, I live through it and was there and yet somehow you all know better than me who was there? I guess the 2 hours I spent at the re connection counter or whatever it's called in PHX must have been a disillusion of mine going through every possible city I could go through with the person and even her being on the phone with someone talking to Delta for a while. I'm probably going nuts.
Nobody has said you're lying. You're free to invent all the fake ravings and accusations you'd like, but please don't project on others. It was correctly pointed out that rebooking on DL/UA is rare, rebooking on other carriers for passengers on Basic Economy fares is not policy after the 25th, and that AA will not rebook on airlines with whom they do not interline (Spirit, Frontier, etc.).

How you manage to jump from explanations of policy to some kind of conspiracy against you is something you'll have to figure out on your own.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:12 am

Basically, 3-4 people are saying that I'm lying because AA offered to rebook me, saying that AA would NEVER do that. Yet, I live through it and was there and yet somehow you all know better than me who was there? I guess the 2 hours I spent at the re connection counter or whatever it's called in PHX must have been a disillusion of mine going through every possible city I could go through with the person and even her being on the phone with someone talking to Delta for a while.
NO ONE said that. That’s what you’re making out of it. No need to be so dramatic.

The only thing that was said is that they were surprised they tried to book you on to another carrier and that that is more than you’re supposed to get, considering you were flying BE.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

And no airline will reaccommodate a passenger on an airline they don’t have an interline agreement with.
Not exactly right. Sometimes there are "local" agreements -- but the caveat is that it usually has to be a nonstop flight out of that airport. For example, at SAT if you were flying AA SAT-PHX-LAS, AA could send you to WN on a non-stop to LAS.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Not exactly right. Sometimes there are "local" agreements -- but the caveat is that it usually has to be a nonstop flight out of that airport. For example, at SAT if you were flying AA SAT-PHX-LAS, AA could send you to WN on a non-stop to LAS.
Probably not after Sept 25 on a BE ticket
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Basically, 3-4 people are saying that I'm lying because AA offered to rebook me, saying that AA would NEVER do that. Yet, I live through it and was there and yet somehow you all know better than me who was there? I guess the 2 hours I spent at the re connection counter or whatever it's called in PHX must have been a disillusion of mine going through every possible city I could go through with the person and even her being on the phone with someone talking to Delta for a while. I'm probably going nuts.

Also surprised by the bandwagon of people saying that I booked economy basic and that I got what was deserved. Let's get this straight, I didn't come for compassion or to make myself feel better, I know AA doesn't care if I don't fly them again, and neither do yall or myself. Truth is they messed up with very simplE flights and the fact that I was on a basic ticket had NOTHING to do with a terrible operation. I was in group 9 yeah, no baggage space so they took my bag. So what? What if I would've checked one in because I wanted to? What would the excuse have been? That's what you get for travelling with bags? Forgot we're meant to throw everything on a la ryanair. Being on a cheap ticket has nothing to do with horrible CS reps and a bad operation where although there's plenty of connection time, you still don't get bags on later flights for no reason and although you know there's a really delayed flight, you refuse to do something about it until it's too late.

In my example I could've been sent through to LAX and onwards from there. I was on a restricted fare, but at that point according to the MIA agent that got me the hotel, it cancels some restrictions because the delay is now on AA's side and not my fault. She kept says it was a CSR or RSA delay, something to that extend.

I was even told in PHX to get to LAX on WN and they would get me on the DL flight to SJO from there.
You’re addressing people with decades of flying and often decades of very frequent flying, sharing experience and the recent changes to the AA rules, and saying we’re calling you a liar? Where, please?

There are occasional exceptions some agents might make to the rules, but to believe the exceptions are the rules is erroneous. Keep on believing what you want to, particularly about Basic Economy and reaccommodation as of 25 Sep. Perhaps reading the detailed fare rules governing your ticket (you had the opportunity prior to purchase) would have been instructive.

If you’d wanted to check a bag, it would have incurred a fee and it might have been handled differently than a gate-checked bag. We’ll never know, but it’s possible.

(I’m guessing if you had flown WN to LAX there’s a reasonable chance you might have found your remaining travel had been erroneously cancelled for abandoning ticketed travel, or even possibly that the AA ticket hadn’t been properly endorsed to Delta enabling you to fly DL to San José. Speculation, but based on a number of reported instances in this forum.)

Safe travels.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do i understand correctly that aa can treat BE pax as no rush cargo in case of any irrops?

i kinda saw be as pay as you go for extras however i assumed it was still aa's responsibility to get me to destination on time or provide timely alternative arrangements if they are unable to do so...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:28 am

Come on guys. In some cases it is obviously the fault of the passenger but in this case the last straw was clearly the rudeness of the AA employee in MIA. I'm sure Redwood839 was irritated in his tone at MIA (I would have been too in the same situation) but the agent's job is to be polite and help. Not to talk rudely in another language behind the passenger's back.

Yes the route is odd and baggage issues occur but this is not how it has to be. Perhaps if we spent less time name calling and telling the posters that it is their fault and more time holding the airlines to account for their poor performance then we could all make our connections with bags in toe and talked to with some decorum.

@ Redwood839
I empathise. It sounds like a bit of a nightmare journey and the agent at MIA sounds like a piece of work.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:50 am

I agree that MIA is a zoo. This seems to be function of the passengers grinding down the personnel than the staff simply being rude. I have been flying through there for over 30 years and have seen it all. Back in the days when it was an Eastern hub I was once told that my luggage had been sent to Haiti but that there was a riot at the airport.
I have never flown on a BE fare, mainly because it isn't worth the money to put up with the restrictions. I looked at a one way fare from DFW to ORD and it was $280 coach $79 BE. This should be a red flag. I am American EXP, so I could probably board early enough to get a bin, but I would expect to be shoehorned into a middle seat.
I have accidentally selected a BE fare on Orbitz a few times, and I was warned that it was a severely restricted fare. I changed to regular coach. How could anyone ignore this warning yet complain that they were treated differently.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Do i understand correctly that aa can treat BE pax as no rush cargo in case of any irrops?

i kinda saw be as pay as you go for extras however i assumed it was still aa's responsibility to get me to destination on time or provide timely alternative arrangements if they are unable to do so...
Yes, I would like to know more about this Sept. 25th directive, I hadn't seen anything -- is there a thread or link? I'd like to educate myself...

But I guess the idea is that on the LCCs there is no re-accommodation on other airlines, and they're just matching that "service" with BE. At least the beverages are still free...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
... in spite that as Executive Platinum I’m entitled to three 70 lb / 32 kg bags...
Can you please provide a link that shows this as a benefit? I think that as an EXP, I get three 50 pound bags, and if I happen to be sitting in first class, I get upgraded to three 70 pound bags. The extra weight is not due to status, but class of service.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by infinite97
Can you please provide a link that shows this as a benefit? I think that as an EXP, I get three 50 pound bags, and if I happen to be sitting in first class, I get upgraded to three 70 pound bags. The extra weight is not due to status, but class of service.
See here.
First and Business Class, Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members can check baggage up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, I would like to know more about this Sept. 25th directive, I hadn't seen anything -- is there a thread or link? I'd like to educate myself...

But I guess the idea is that on the LCCs there is no re-accommodation on other airlines, and they're just matching that "service" with BE. At least the beverages are still free...
This doesn't have a specific date on it, but Googling came back with the following FAQ on Basic Economy dated September 2018.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...conomy_FAQ.pdf

The following link was posted by JonNYC on his twitter feed: https://skift.com/2018/10/03/america...e-compeittion/ on rebooking Y passengers.

View from the Wing - https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-wont-like-it/

Cranky Flier - https://crankyflier.com/2018/10/02/a...ings-go-wrong/
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dls25
You probably got the same overnight CS agents I dealt with in PHX on my last PHX-MIA disaster (5 hour delay). They are nice but completely incompetent. They do not deal with international travel very much and it shows. They probably blew you off because they did not know what to do.

They tried to claim they could not rebook me because I could not separate from my bags on an international trip, completely ignoring that (a) I was already separated from my bags since AA had already caused me to misconnect in DFW earlier that day and (b) I was not voluntarily separating from my baggage - the flight was delayed 5 hours and I was going to miss my connection in MIA. Thankfully, I was able to get a competent Admirals Club agent to assist me even though they were technically closed.

AA please retrain your late night PHX staff ;(
Sorry to all the nice ex-HP folks, but the PHX staff now comes across as incompetent and uncaring. I used to like interacting with ex-HP, but now it feels like AA at PHX no longer cares at all. I've been on two late flights (causing many passengers to misconnect) into PHX. The GA gives no acknowledgement that the flights were late not any instructions on what misconnecting passengers were supposed to do. Just plain rude!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
This doesn't have a specific date on it, but Googling came back with the following FAQ on Basic Economy dated September 2018.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...conomy_FAQ.pdf

The following link was posted by JonNYC on his twitter feed: https://skift.com/2018/10/03/america...e-compeittion/ on rebooking Y passengers.

View from the Wing - https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-wont-like-it/

Cranky Flier - https://crankyflier.com/2018/10/02/a...ings-go-wrong/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30263168-post72.html
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
From the Skift article, "The spokesman said an agent may make an exception if American has only one flight per day, or if a missed connection requires an overnight stay. American will also rebook members of the military on orders and unaccompanied minors on non-partner airlines, as well as customers “traveling for a funeral, weddings, surgery, [or] starting a cruise,” according the the policy."

So basically, just tell the agent you are travelling for a funeral, wedding, surgery, or starting a cruise and you're good to go, or will the require proof?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.