FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1933404-award-reduction-no-aa-lhr-saaver-award-flights-less-than-13-days-out.html)

Kneel Oct 1, 2018 2:47 pm

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

For the last week I've noticed that AA SAAver award seats from TUL to LHR are only available more than 13 days out. For example, today (10/1) the first seats are 10/14. Yesterday 10/13 was available, and the day before that 10/12 was available. I've seen this pattern for the last 8 days.

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least). In past years I've had no problem in the fall getting AA SAAver award flights through LHR even the same day as departure.

I discovered this because I first search for TUL-KBP which shows if the BA flight to KBP is available. Since BA TATL travel has taxes and fees of about $250 per OW ticket rather than $50 for AA, I then search for AA only TUL-LHR.

Has any one noticed this? Or for anyone have an explanation? I've got GOLD status. Do PLAT or EXP have better availability?

Antarius Oct 1, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm shocked you found any Saver availability at all :)

enviroian Oct 1, 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kneel (Post 30267753)
Do PLAT or EXP have better availability?

No

JJeffrey Oct 1, 2018 2:58 pm

Very weird and good observation. In spite of the constant moaning on here, sAAver economy to Europe is typically wide open from Sep to May, especially if you book short notice. I checked a few destinations from RDU and see the same thing, nothing in sAAver Y within 2 weeks, then wide open.

Ironically sAAver J has availability within 2 weeks, which leads me to (hopefully) believe this is some sort of glitch.

mvoight Oct 1, 2018 9:34 pm

Is it any different if you don't select TUL as the starting point?
I would simply select Milesaver Business as that IS AVAILABLE :)

BLG Oct 2, 2018 12:05 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30267789)
Very weird and good observation. In spite of the constant moaning on here, sAAver economy to Europe is typically wide open from Sep to May, especially if you book short notice. I checked a few destinations from RDU and see the same thing, nothing in sAAver Y within 2 weeks, then wide open.

Ironically sAAver J has availability within 2 weeks, which leads me to (hopefully) believe this is some sort of glitch.

Very odd indeed. I've got alerts set on EF for a LHR-LAX mile saver return in J or F in late October and I was shocked to see that there wasn't even Y inventory until Oct. 23rd when I ran a scan for dates between Oct. 18th and Oct. 24th. Let's hope it's a glitch because if this is a change in availability it's a pretty radical one.

mvoight Oct 2, 2018 12:26 am

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 30269036)
Very odd indeed. I've got alerts set on EF for a LHR-LAX mile saver return in J or F in late October and I was shocked to see that there wasn't even Y inventory until Oct. 23rd when I ran a scan for dates between Oct. 18th and Oct. 24th. Let's hope it's a glitch because if this is a change in availability it's a pretty radical one.

That patterns makes it seem like a plan, not a glitch. Do you ask an AAgent?

LINDEGR Oct 2, 2018 4:53 am

Saver Award availability is a joke!

Kneel Oct 2, 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR (Post 30269478)
Saver Award availability is a joke!

It depends on the season and schedule flexibility. I’ve done dozens of trips to Kyiv, Hawaii, and other cities in SAAver, usually in off-peak. I’m not large-framed and only do up to 5 trips per year, so Gold seat benefits help.

The benefits have decreased over the years: more miles, no gateway city stopovers, and a shooter off-peak season. The major added benefits are one-way award tickets and the 10% Citi/Barclay rebate (on the first 100K miles only). Still, Europe for 20,250 miles (10% off applied, off-peak), is quite a deal. Just don’t take BA TATL ($250 fees each way).

Kneel Oct 2, 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30267760)
I'm shocked you found any Saver availability at all :)

Not many people want to travel to Europe when it’s dark, gloomy, and cold. :)

3Cforme Oct 2, 2018 7:24 am

For the last week I've noticed that AA SAAver award seats from TUL to LHR are only available more than 13 days out. For example, today (10/1) the first seats are 10/14. Yesterday 10/13 was available, and the day before that 10/12 was available. I've seen this pattern for the last 8 days.

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least).

It's not a general rule. Saver seats are available for travel in less than 14 days from ORD, MIA (Business), JFK...

ijgordon Oct 2, 2018 7:24 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 30267769)
No

Um, yes, EXP's do.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp

Expanded award seating availability
Executive Platinum members and 1 companion have exclusive access to additional MileSAAver award seating on American Airlines and American Eagle flights. While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award. Please call the Executive Platinum service desk to access this benefit.

enviroian Oct 2, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30269805)

Nope. Total BS benefit. I’ve called before to “access this benefit” and it’s nothing.

jordyn Oct 2, 2018 8:43 am

I've literally never seen an EXP ever claim to have found any extra award availability through this "benefit". (Some people do say they've seen expanded upgrade availability in the past, but haven't even seen positive reports of this for years.) It's a complete lie as far as I can tell.

Often1 Oct 2, 2018 9:12 am

Saver is AA's version of the original FFP, E.g., AA gave away "free tickets" which it would not likely sell.

Needless to say, that is not the program today. But, it is the essence of Saver. If there is no Saver availability, it is because AA believes that it can sell the space for more (cash or redemption). No different than cash prices.

However, with the economy on screech, look to less Saver avail. as a general matter going forward. May mean you need more flexibility as to dates, destinations, and schedules.

JJeffrey Oct 2, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30270213)
Saver is AA's version of the original FFP, E.g., AA gave away "free tickets" which it would not likely sell.

Needless to say, that is not the program today. But, it is the essence of Saver. If there is no Saver availability, it is because AA believes that it can sell the space for more (cash or redemption). No different than cash prices.

However, with the economy on screech, look to less Saver avail. as a general matter going forward. May mean you need more flexibility as to dates, destinations, and schedules.

This is completely different though than sAAver awards just being "hard to find" because AA thinks it can otherwise sell the seats. This is a systematic elimination of sAAver economy awards to LHR (and possibly others?) when booking within 7 or 14 days.

I just checked all gateways to LHR. JFK and ORD both have space starting at exactly 7 days out. LAX, DFW, MIA, RDU, CLT, and PHL all have space starting at exactly 14 days out.

I can only hope this is some sort of an inventory glitch or the like.

Kneel Oct 2, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 30269086)
That patterns makes it seem like a plan, not a glitch. Do you ask an AAgent?

Just called Gold bookings (regular agent of course) who referred me to Customer Service, which had no answers. She suggested an email Customer Relations::

I am very disappointed in what appears to be a reduction in the AA Frequent Flier program.

For the last week I've noticed that AA SAAver award seats from TUL to LHR are only available more than 13 days out. For example, today (10/1) the first seats are 10/14. Yesterday 10/13 was available, and the day before that 10/12 was available. I've seen this pattern for the last 8 days. (same pattern today 10/2)

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least). In past years I've had no problem in the fall getting AA SAAver award flights through LHR even the same day as departure.

I discovered this because I first search for TUL-KBP which shows if the BA flight to KBP is available. Since BA TATL travel has taxes and fees of about $250 per OW ticket rather than $50 for AA, I then search for AA only TUL-LHR.

I've verified that Executive Platinum status and other cities have the same limitation. [THANK YOU FT MEMBERS!]

Can you explain what is going on? Is AA deliberately removing SAAver award availability to force more miles to be used for more expensive award types? Is AA selling all available seats to consolidators?

If this undocumented change was made, it's a very customer-unfriendly practice. I'd be VERY disappointed after 20+ years of mostly using AA for my travel. I want to be clear, I wouldn't be particularly disappointed in the change -- AA has the right to do that, and there's been ongoing benefit reductions. I'd be disappointed in an underhanded change that has not been communicated.

Please clarify ASAP.

Thanks,

3Cforme Oct 2, 2018 9:57 am

AA started using married segment availability on awards a while ago. Availability on TUL-DFW and DFW-LHR doesn't imply availability on TUL-DFW-LHR, and vice versa. Of course they did this to require more miles. (Delta and United play this award game, too.) There's nothing more to tell you.

JJeffrey Oct 2, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30270374)
AA started using married segment availability on awards a while ago. Availability on TUL-DFW and DFW-LHR doesn't imply availability on TUL-DFW-LHR, and vice versa. Of course they did this to require more miles. (Delta and United play this award game, too.) There's nothing more to tell you.

This has nothing to do with married segment availability.

LINDEGR Oct 2, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kneel (Post 30269547)
The major added benefits are one-way award tickets and the 10% Citi/Barclay rebate (on the first 100K miles only). Still, Europe for 20,250 miles (10% off applied, off-peak), is quite a deal. Just don’t take BA TATL ($250 fees each way).

Do we have to request the rebate? I never get it and not sure why!

Beltway2A Oct 2, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR (Post 30270451)
Do we have to request the rebate? I never get it and not sure why!

It's always been automatic in my experience. Which eligible card do you hold?

LINDEGR Oct 2, 2018 10:30 am

I had the AA business VISA and now have the AA card that gives club access

Beltway2A Oct 2, 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR (Post 30270478)
I had the AA business VISA and now have the AA card that gives club access

Neither of the cards you mentioned includes for the 10% refund benefit, which explains why you have correctly not received it.

turkeyRIOO Oct 2, 2018 10:52 am

There appears to be a domestic component to this as well. 7 days for milesaver economy. Business is wide open. I am looking at ATL-DFW. This is recent as I traveled last week with wide open Y milesaver.

enviroian Oct 2, 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Kneel (Post 30270357)
Is AA deliberately removing SAAver award availability to force more miles to be used for more expensive award type?

hell yes, of course.

Take a look at some of the seat maps where there is no saver availability. Even accounting for "oh don't rely on seat maps as many people haven't chose seats yet" there is wide open availability on many flights. AA simply chooses not to open them up.

Again, the old days are gone.

pmblinn Oct 2, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Kneel (Post 30269553)

Not many people want to travel to Europe when it’s dark, gloomy, and cold. :)

I'm one of the "not many." Lower prices, fewer tourists, shorter lines.

ehallison Oct 2, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 30270553)
There appears to be a domestic component to this as well. 7 days for milesaver economy. Business is wide open. I am looking at ATL-DFW. This is recent as I traveled last week with wide open Y milesaver.

Very strange. I just checked half a dozen cities to DFW. They all had wide-open availability in milesaaver Y until I checked one more - PHL. PHL didn't have any until exactly a week from today. Why change for some airports but not all?

pbd456 Oct 2, 2018 1:22 pm

what is the logic for exec plat getting more reward seat? any theory or logic behind?

mvoight Oct 2, 2018 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30271146)
what is the logic for exec plat getting more reward seat? any theory or logic behind?

The same as any other EXP benefit, to get people to fly more on AA or a partner

pbd456 Oct 2, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 30271529)
The same as any other EXP benefit, to get people to fly more on AA or a partner

i mean what is the booking class that people can see.

On UA, it is X vs XN or I vs IN. on aa, how do we know the benefits actually exist?

Beltway2A Oct 2, 2018 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30271565)

On UA, it is X vs XN or I vs IN. on aa, how do we know the benefits actually exist?

Edit: Delete. I missed the note that the old QMAX system is not related to expanded EXP availability.

CPRich Oct 2, 2018 4:27 pm

This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least).

A bit OT but - where do you expect to see/typically see AA document their changes in award availability?

JJeffrey Oct 3, 2018 9:39 am

The trend continues and it affects more cities than just LHR. Mentioned above, but yesterday when checking the earliest date that AA metal sAAver economy is available for many cities was Oct. 15, today that has shifted to Oct. 16. Same with JFK/ORD-LHR at 7 days, yesterday it was Oct. 8 and today that's shifted to Oct. 9.

I checked a bunch of combos this morning and did find 3 routes where the sAAver Y space was still available close in, JFK-MAD, MIA-MAD, and JFK-MXP.

Other than that it looks like AA metal sAAver economy space has been removed within 14 or 7 days on a huge chunk of the TATL schedule.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25360ef591.jpg

ijgordon Oct 3, 2018 10:51 am

I guess you can think of this as an advance purchase requirement, close-in they want you to book AAnytime awards (assuming this is intentional).
Maybe they think there were too many business travelers booking last-minute, one-way fares (which normally requires full Y or B).
OTOH, DL's reward "chart" does actually have A/P requirements built in, but they scale up the closer you get (along with the cash fares). They also can have separate pricing for O/W and R/T. Let's hope that AA isn't heading down that route...

jordyn Oct 3, 2018 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30274672)
I guess you can think of this as an advance purchase requirement, close-in they want you to book AAnytime awards (assuming this is intentional).
Maybe they think there were too many business travelers booking last-minute, one-way fares (which normally requires full Y or B).

FWIW, this is roughly how inventory management has worked on the DCA-LGA-BOS shuttles for quite a while. There's generally tons of SAAver availability up until a couple of weeks out (although it looks like now they've changed it to 21 days), and any closer in than that there's never anything. This roughly matches the revenue management strategy on those routes, with fairly discounted advanced purchase fares and extremely high close-in fares targeting business travelers.

JDiver Oct 3, 2018 12:20 pm

I’ve never seen a code used for expanded EP SAAver inventory, nor have I inquired when asking if there was availability.

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30271565)

Because some of us have made use of this feature, more than once. It does seema bit scarcer in recent times.

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 30270080)
I've literally never seen an EXP ever claim to have found any extra award availability through this "benefit". (Some people do say they've seen expanded upgrade availability in the past, but haven't even seen positive reports of this for years.) It's a complete lie as far as I can tell.

Well, now you’ve seen one. :)

teemuflyer Oct 3, 2018 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 30270080)

Worked twice for me last year... LAX-HKG RT.

apeortdz Oct 3, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks for this. I was unaware. I wonder if you have to call to see it or whether it is shown online if you are logged in as EXP.

enpremiere Oct 3, 2018 2:18 pm

Indeed it's quite rare (think unicorn or consistent customer service probabilities) but it is still lurking out there. I have personally seen this in action in the last 24 months very surprisingly it was even for a premium cabin seat (and nothing to do with married segment magic). Since J requests can't be queued into Q-Max as of quite some time and it was instant, I'm pretty confident that this wasn't any kind of manual RM request.

ijgordon Oct 3, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz (Post 30275433)
Thanks for this. I was unaware. I wonder if you have to call to see it or whether it is shown online if you are logged in as EXP.

I think you have to call in. It's been a few years since I was EXP, so perhaps that's changed.