Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award reduction? No AA LHR SAAver award flights less than 13 days out?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by pbd456
i mean what is the booking class that people can see.

On UA, it is X vs XN or I vs IN. on aa, how do we know the benefits actually exist?
Edit: Delete. I missed the note that the old QMAX system is not related to expanded EXP availability.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Kneel
This appears to be an undocumented reduction in international award travel to UK (at least).
A bit OT but - where do you expect to see/typically see AA document their changes in award availability?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The trend continues and it affects more cities than just LHR. Mentioned above, but yesterday when checking the earliest date that AA metal sAAver economy is available for many cities was Oct. 15, today that has shifted to Oct. 16. Same with JFK/ORD-LHR at 7 days, yesterday it was Oct. 8 and today that's shifted to Oct. 9.

I checked a bunch of combos this morning and did find 3 routes where the sAAver Y space was still available close in, JFK-MAD, MIA-MAD, and JFK-MXP.

Other than that it looks like AA metal sAAver economy space has been removed within 14 or 7 days on a huge chunk of the TATL schedule.

JDiver and Dave_C like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you can think of this as an advance purchase requirement, close-in they want you to book AAnytime awards (assuming this is intentional).
Maybe they think there were too many business travelers booking last-minute, one-way fares (which normally requires full Y or B).
OTOH, DL's reward "chart" does actually have A/P requirements built in, but they scale up the closer you get (along with the cash fares). They also can have separate pricing for O/W and R/T. Let's hope that AA isn't heading down that route...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I guess you can think of this as an advance purchase requirement, close-in they want you to book AAnytime awards (assuming this is intentional).
Maybe they think there were too many business travelers booking last-minute, one-way fares (which normally requires full Y or B).
FWIW, this is roughly how inventory management has worked on the DCA-LGA-BOS shuttles for quite a while. There's generally tons of SAAver availability up until a couple of weeks out (although it looks like now they've changed it to 21 days), and any closer in than that there's never anything. This roughly matches the revenue management strategy on those routes, with fairly discounted advanced purchase fares and extremely high close-in fares targeting business travelers.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’ve never seen a code used for expanded EP SAAver inventory, nor have I inquired when asking if there was availability.

Originally Posted by pbd456
i mean what is the booking class that people can see.

On UA, it is X vs XN or I vs IN. on aa, how do we know the benefits actually exist?
Because some of us have made use of this feature, more than once. It does seema bit scarcer in recent times.

Originally Posted by jordyn
I've literally never seen an EXP ever claim to have found any extra award availability through this "benefit". (Some people do say they've seen expanded upgrade availability in the past, but haven't even seen positive reports of this for years.) It's a complete lie as far as I can tell.
Well, now you’ve seen one.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
I've literally never seen an EXP ever claim to have found any extra award availability through this "benefit". (Some people do say they've seen expanded upgrade availability in the past, but haven't even seen positive reports of this for years.) It's a complete lie as far as I can tell.
Worked twice for me last year... LAX-HKG RT.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for this. I was unaware. I wonder if you have to call to see it or whether it is shown online if you are logged in as EXP.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Indeed it's quite rare (think unicorn or consistent customer service probabilities) but it is still lurking out there. I have personally seen this in action in the last 24 months very surprisingly it was even for a premium cabin seat (and nothing to do with married segment magic). Since J requests can't be queued into Q-Max as of quite some time and it was instant, I'm pretty confident that this wasn't any kind of manual RM request.

Last edited by enpremiere; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:19 pm Reason: Not an oversell scenario either
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Thanks for this. I was unaware. I wonder if you have to call to see it or whether it is shown online if you are logged in as EXP.
I think you have to call in. It's been a few years since I was EXP, so perhaps that's changed.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I think you have to call in. It's been a few years since I was EXP, so perhaps that's changed.
Correct, calling is the only way that it would even appear. As someone earlier noted, the population of the EXP's advantage number is part of that process. No EXP number and the friendly EXP agents (typically) only see what you see on the AA.com engine.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The expanded EXP award availability perk (or lack thereof) already has a lengthy thread, and has nothing to do with this new issue of AA eliminating most sAAver economy seats to/from Europe within 14 days, so I might kindly suggest that the side discussion be taken over there

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...merged-14.html
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have noticed this for many destinations. Most recently to SKB...Seats available as Saver always two weeks out, but the within 14 days, Saver disappears without the seat map changing at all (many flights were quite empty).
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
OTOH, DL's reward "chart" does actually have A/P requirements built in, but they scale up the closer you get (along with the cash fares). They also can have separate pricing for O/W and R/T. Let's hope that AA isn't heading down that route...
If this is what AA is doing, they should tell us about the change. This is a devaluation of the program without the usual notice.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm not sure what everyone is expecting AA to tell us. To my knowledge, AA has never released any guidance about when and if sAAver level awards are released, how many seats are expected to be released, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.