Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UA announced $15K min PQD for 1K. How soon does AA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA announced $15K min PQD for 1K. How soon does AA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Gaming EXP or whatever is unlikely to be the reason to change. This forum is a filter bubble, a tiny minority of travelers who mileage run and chase status. This group is not affecting AA policy.

if AA changes, it will be based on much larger travel and spend patterns than us.
GTITAN and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
EXP is way too easy to game - I believe AA should follow in the footsteps of UA on this issue
What's wrong with "gaming" your way to EXP?

Life is full of opportunities to "game" the system. Some people have the time and tenacity to learn the game and play the game. Others choose not to.

Gamers are not criminals.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA prioritizes the upgrade list on 1 year rolling spend. So high spender EXPs have a higher chance of upgrades over low spend EXPs. So the benefits are already sorted to the higher spend.

UA upgrades within elite level are based on fare code for a given flight. So if your upgrade changes vary by flight - based on cost of ticket for that flight.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swingaling
DL is even easier. With KE/AF/KL and others earning 40% MQD on discount J tickets, it's simple to hit 15K MQD for under $5k actual spend.
you meant under $5k actual spend with Delta (Excluding your KE/AF/KL spend)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Surprised Doug has not done this already.. wait, hold the press, AA just announced the change to follow UA
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
AA gives SWU and UA gives 6 GPU when making top tier.
so. there are more upgrade floating around for UA than AA (even UA has fare class restriction, people who can meet 1k would have no problem to pay up a bit to use GPU.)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:06 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by jcatman
What's wrong with "gaming" your way to EXP?

Life is full of opportunities to "game" the system. Some people have the time and tenacity to learn the game and play the game. Others choose not to.

Gamers are not criminals.
In fact, it's all according to the T&C's, so not really "gaming" the system as they like to call it. Just following the rules as written. Sorry to all those landlocked in the US, but there are many options available still for lower spend requalification. 2017 was easy with 12k EQD's at $3300 spend, with full year at 17k EQD's at $5500 spend, plus 3k from Barclay. Only $1515 spend on AA metal that year. This year is a bit more expensive at $2500 spend on AA of the $6700 total for 13k EQD's plus, counting on, the 3k from Barclay later, before the end on this year.
Next year? We'll see. There are so many other options especially with US$1000 RT's on SQ PE etc. that if AA gets more difficult then free agency kicks in (I'm also Star Gold, UA 1K until Jan and soon on OZ, as I'll not waste the money on UA for the limited bene's/higher cost requalification as UA denied my address change to my Bangkok home for some reason.Plus, I don't care for their J product, Polaris especially, except the lie-flats on the 757's domestically.)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
And you don't think AA has too many EXPs? EXP is just as easy to each as UA 1k (until 31 Dec 18), and AA carries far more passengers. Dollars to donuts the AA program is larger with more top tier elites.
It's the proportion of travelers that have a status level that matters, not the total quantity (and maybe UA gets more repeat business than AA does as a fraction of total passengers). Like I said, I don't have any real data and it's purely anecdotal because I'm just relaying my friends' experience, but there seem to be a lot more 1Ks as a fraction of most flights than EXPs.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I was over $15K EQDs last year and will be again this year, so if I were planning to stick around it would not be much of a problem for me. (it would be nice if AA also copied UA by giving EXPs preboarding rather than Group 2...)
But having just missed out on another international UG, it all seems like too much effort for too little return...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by fotographer
Surprised Doug has not done this already.. wait, hold the press, AA just announced the change to follow UA
Are you saying AA has announced a change to EXP qualification?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rbAA
In fact, it's all according to the T&C's, so not really "gaming" the system as they like to call it. Just following the rules as written. Sorry to all those landlocked in the US, but there are many options available still for lower spend requalification. 2017 was easy with 12k EQD's at $3300 spend, with full year at 17k EQD's at $5500 spend, plus 3k from Barclay. Only $1515 spend on AA metal that year. This year is a bit more expensive at $2500 spend on AA of the $6700 total for 13k EQD's plus, counting on, the 3k from Barclay later, before the end on this year.
Next year? We'll see. There are so many other options especially with US$1000 RT's on SQ PE etc. that if AA gets more difficult then free agency kicks in (I'm also Star Gold, UA 1K until Jan and soon on OZ, as I'll not waste the money on UA for the limited bene's/higher cost requalification as UA denied my address change to my Bangkok home for some reason.Plus, I don't care for their J product, Polaris especially, except the lie-flats on the 757's domestically.)

Similar situation for me as well. Most of my flying is international and I don't live near an AA hub, so I could easily switch to another carrier or another FF plan altogether (or free agency). BAEC would be an easy OWE alternative. For *A, A3 should be super easy (roughly $3k) to earn Gold for those inclined.

Of my 17k EQD in 2018, only 3,300 EQD were on AA metal. The rest was primarily CX and QR.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jlsw7
+1
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Pretty sure they were being facetious...for now. This forum would be blowing up if that sort of news dropped.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rfrost
I was over $15K EQDs last year and will be again this year, so if I were planning to stick around it would not be much of a problem for me. (it would be nice if AA also copied UA by giving EXPs preboarding rather than Group 2...)
But having just missed out on another international UG, it all seems like too much effort for too little return...
I dont understand the desire to pre board vs group 1 or 2. By group 2, all the overhead space is still plentiful and less than 20% of the plane has boarded (typically).

other than the perceived better nature of being ahead or first, what tangible benefit do we get? UA "enhancing or improving the boarding experience" just reads as PR speak with no material change
FlytheTail, GTITAN and LovePrunes like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
My bad. Indeed it is.

I was being a wise .... Looks like I got a little too "wise"
it’s hard not to be with these dumb “will AA follow?” threads.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.