Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UA announced $15K min PQD for 1K. How soon does AA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by genotonda
I don't see the relationship here. The card isn't marketed as, "Get's you $6000 EQD closer to Executive Platinum."

It simply offers the ability to earn up to $6k EQD. (With the Silver card)

Regardless of the EQD targets for any of the levels, the card(s) just bring you $3k or $6k closer to those targets.
People would be less likely to put the $50k of spend on silver if it meant another 9k in EQD from flying than if it meant another 6k. How much less likely? I'm not sure. But Basclays might have it in their contract with AA.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by enviroian
My guess: 2 or 3 weeks.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:06 pm

EXP is way too easy to game - I believe AA should follow in the footsteps of UA on this issue
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
My guess: 2 or 3 weeks.
I think we have the best answer here.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
EXP is way too easy to game - I believe AA should follow in the footsteps of UA on this issue
DL is even easier. With KE/AF/KL and others earning 40% MQD on discount J tickets, it's simple to hit 15K MQD for under $5k actual spend.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has been at $15K for Diamond for a while. It's $9K for Platinum.
Yah Delta has been at 15K for Diamond for awhile.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If United is at $15k for 1K status, I am very curious when we will see Delta bump to $20k for Diamond.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
If United is at $15k for 1K status, I am very curious when we will see Delta bump to $20k for Diamond.
250K Waiver for Diamond. I worry that 20K for diamond was coming up...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by donotblink
People would be less likely to put the $50k of spend on silver if it meant another 9k in EQD from flying than if it meant another 6k. How much less likely? I'm not sure. But Basclays might have it in their contract with AA.
I would think that if one flies the 100k miles, or even 90k miles (assuming they 10k EQM from the same card) that it would take to fulfill the EQM portion of EXP, they would generate the other $9k EQD, which is what it takes to hit the Plat Pro requirement. That said, I could see those who really need that first (and only for red card) milestone of $3k for $25000 spend, being more upset at the change. They may not have enough spend to generate the 6k miles, and could end short of the EXP threshold.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Apples and oranges. If a UA mile, a UA $ was an AA mile, AA $, one could compare. If not, it devolves into the sort of discussion that this thread has become.
Because no other aspect of AA's frequent flier program has been directly copied from a competitor, right? It's just pure coincidence that when they adopted EQDs it happened to be the exact same values as UA?

In any case, my general observation (from afar) is that UA seems to have way too many 1Ks--the status seems significantly less meaningful than on AA. So I don't think AA needs to make this adjustment to the same extent UA does, but Parker seems intent on making AAdvantage the worst program out there so I'm sure he'll copy this change quite quickly.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Not sure the extra 3K EQDs makes that much of a difference for "gaming." But, I could be mistaken

Safe Travels
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
Because no other aspect of AA's frequent flier program has been directly copied from a competitor, right? It's just pure coincidence that when they adopted EQDs it happened to be the exact same values as UA?

In any case, my general observation (from afar) is that UA seems to have way too many 1Ks--the status seems significantly less meaningful than on AA. So I don't think AA needs to make this adjustment to the same extent UA does, but Parker seems intent on making AAdvantage the worst program out there so I'm sure he'll copy this change quite quickly.
And you don't think AA has too many EXPs? EXP is just as easy to each as UA 1k (until 31 Dec 18), and AA carries far more passengers. Dollars to donuts the AA program is larger with more top tier elites.

My guess is a change will be announced before the start of the new program year in Jan.

Last edited by gmt4; Sep 28, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:32 pm

Don't know about the $15K requirement, but if AA follows the UA's policy of not allowing EQD on partner flights, then I bet there will be a riot.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell
Don't know about the $15K requirement, but if AA follows the UA's policy of not allowing EQD on partner flights, then I bet there will be a riot.
Agreed. I get the bulk of my credit for AA status as a result of partners....BA, CX. People with higher status than me would take it as a far more harsh slap in the face I'm sure. It would probably eliminate flyers like me from obtaining any status with AA. I value Platinum for the OW sapphire and MCE.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by gmt4
Agreed. I get the bulk of my credit for AA status as a result of partners....BA, CX. People with higher status than me would take it as a far more harsh slap in the face I'm sure. It would probably eliminate flyers like me from obtaining any status with AA. I value Platinum for the OW sapphire and MCE.
Seems unlikely (at least with respect to all the JV Partners).

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.