Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Single IROPS, Double IROPS, Triple IROPS. What’s your record?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

A friendly contest: What is the greatest number of IRROPS you’ve ever had on a single AA itinerary? (round-trips included)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Recently had a morning flight from DTW cancel; then mid-afternoon that I was rebooked on, also canceled. No weather in DTW or DFW and never got any impression on what caused all of the issues.
Rebooked to a 6pm out of CLE (to save F seat, like an idiot) and as soon as I got to CLE, it delayed 6 hours. Plane never arrived, so it canceled. Rebooked on 6am next morning, which then delayed to 1pm.

AA voucher of $600 given to smooth out the annoyance.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how you'd describe this one but AA handled it very well considering I didn't have any status at the time.

I had a F domestic award (someone else's miles ) to fly ABE->CLT->DFW->ABQ

ABE-CLT was uneventful

The flight from CLT-DFW has two mechanical delays, the flight crew timing out, a weather delay due to thunderstorms in DFW. All of leads to a cancellation due to the 3 hr tarmac rule.

I get rebooked on a new CLT-DFW-ABQ itinerary leaving later in Y.

The CLT-DFW leg was delayed due to weather in DFW to the point I would miss the connection to ABQ which was still on time.

I was then rebooked: CLT-PHX-ABQ with an overnight in PHX.

I get to PHX and spend the night. The next morning I go back to the airport and find out the PHX-ABQ segment is cancelled.

I'm rebooked: PHX-ORD-DFW-ABQ with PHX-ORD leaving in 20 min and I'm not through security yet. (That goodness for Precheck and sprinting for the high-A gates).

I make the flight and get to ORD with only 15 minutes before the flight to DFW. The ORD-DFW gets a mechanical and I'm rebooked on ORD-ABQ leaving four hours later.

So lets see in CLT: 4 on the original flight, 1 on the first rescheduled flight, 1 in PHX, 1 in ORD.

I guess 7 IRROPS on a single one way trip.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wr_schwab

I'm rebooked: PHX-ORD-DFW-ABQ with PHX-ORD leaving in 20 min and I'm not through security yet.
This would have been the point where I rented a car...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
This would have been the point where I rented a car...
I had thought about that but I had a 4 hour drive after I reached ABQ. I didn't think would be in any shape to drive the rest of the way after I got to ABQ from PHX.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:39 pm

I'm working on 2 today with a simple one-way DEN-CHS. Was DEN-CLT-CHS. Then DEN-DFW-CHS. Now DEN-DFW-MIA-CHS. With a major delay and no crew change, I'm hoping for no crew issues on the Mesa flight MIA-CHS ... and we're delayed by quite a bit at the moment. So maybe it'll be 3
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

DFW-CLT-PVD - delayed 4 hours due to mechanical
rebooked
DFW-ORD-PVD - delayed 6 hours due to mechanical
rebooked
DFW-DCA-PVD - delayed 90 minutes due to mechanical
rebooked
DFW-BOS - bumped due to agent error
rebooked
DFW-ORD-BOS with forced overnight at ORD almost having to divert to STL enroute DFW-ORD due to ORD thunderstorms
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
A friendly contest: What is the greatest number of IRROPS you’ve ever had on a single AA itinerary? (round-trips included)
I had one round trip where I was booked on eight different flight segments I didn’t end up taking, and where I also had to rent a one way car on both the outbound and return directions to actually get where I was going.

On the outbound, LAS-CLT delayed for 2 hours on the tarmac because improper weight and balance paperwork was filed. I missed the last CLT-ROA of the day because of that and I had to fly CLT-GSO instead, then drive the rest of the way. Bags lost for 2 days, despite the agent assuring me they were moved over to the new flight correctly. “Yay.”

On the return, a rolling batch of delays/cancellations that resulted in me holding boarding passes for every single ROA-CLT or ROA-PHL flight scheduled that day. Only AA affected - other airlines operated their full schedule without incident. When the flights all ended up failing, I gave up - I demanded point blank that the phone agent put me on the AS direct from DCA-SEA, then I rented a car and started driving. Given that I was a nobody with no status, I’m kind of amazed my demand worked, TBH. Alaska got me home without further incident.

That trip was my first experiment with flying AA as an alternative to DL. Needless to say, I’m back with the widget again. Although that occurred a while ago back when the AS/AA partnership existed, so it’s probably worth giving AA another fair shake at some point in the future.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Not a huge number of IIROPS but the time taken!!

STL-ORD-MAN Friday afternoon
STL-ORD Uneventful
ORD-MAN Cancelled mechanical issues
Over night at ORD
New route ORD-JFK-MAN Saturday
ORD-JFK Uneventful
JFK-MAN Cancelled mechanical issues
Overnight at JFK
New route JFK-LHR Sunday (I'd given up on getting to Manchester so told them to get me anywhere in the UK!)
Finally arrived home Monday lunch time

From leaving hotel in St Louis to reaching home 56 hours works out about 80 mph, if only there were a bridge I could have driven it :-)
Check likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA booked, some travel on BA
A few years ago
ATL-ORD (delayed several hours, storms in ORD) finally get to ORD late for ORD to LHR
ORD to LHR , instead of AA to LHR, place on BA to LHR, arriving too late for my morning connection to BOM

Spend all day at LHR airport, waiting for the evening BA to BOM (9.45pm0
Get on plane, flight cancelled, (something wrong with the plane)

Hotel at LHR airport (BA paid)
2 day at hotel, no seats available on any flight to BOM

Finally get a seat to BOM 3 days later then scheduled

Turn around in 1 day as the meeting I was suppose to have had to be cancelled (clients coming from all over India could not be away from their companies too long)

(sorry if this post is hard to understand, I am getting older, and according to my lovely wife sometimes I dont remember stuff)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:27 am

Reading this thread makes me impressive of how I never met a single flight cancellation or delay over 1 hour in 500+ flights (must be around 540 at the moment). Like if I haven't ever run into this with 500+, and it seems quite usual for people to run into it multiple times on a single flight, maybe that is a sign for me to care more about building complex routings with different airlines, since one flight cancelled may result into non-refundable cancellations of all other flights in a chain... Luck must end somewhere, or maybe it's US-related problem at most?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
A forced overnight in both directions on a roundtrip domestic itinerary (1 connection each way). Including 12 gate changes at ORD before they cancelled the return flight home. Also, ended up being downgraded from first class to a last row middle seat on the outbound. It might not have been so bad, but I had my mother with me. And I've had worse but I still remember that trip because of mom.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
I'm working on 2 today with a simple one-way DEN-CHS. Was DEN-CLT-CHS. Then DEN-DFW-CHS. Now DEN-DFW-MIA-CHS. With a major delay and no crew change, I'm hoping for no crew issues on the Mesa flight MIA-CHS ... and we're delayed by quite a bit at the moment. So maybe it'll be 3
MESA = Maintenance Every Single Aircraft
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Simple MSP-DFW-BOG
ground congestion in DFW caused missed connection to BOG.
All flights to MIA full so rebooked DFW-PHX-MIA-BOG
Get to PHX, PHX-MIA delayed 5 hours.
Rebooked PHX-CLT-MIA-BOG (no thanks to the incompetent PHX CS staff, they are clueless with international travel).
Get to CLT, CLT-MIA delayed to ground hold (MIA T-storms)
Missed connection in MIA, manage to get rebooked on a delayed flight to MDE and just rearranged itinerary so BOG is at the end.

4 rebookings, 3 disconnects and having to fly to a completely different city. My worst trip.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Year ago I was on an early LGA/DFW flight. First we had a mechanical delay. Whatever got fixed. Then we had to wait to be de-iced. Finally we are ready for pushback. An AA truck with no lights on (was still kind of dark out) ran over the wing walker (luckily he was not seriously hurt). I was sitting in 1F and the woman in 2F screamed as she saw it happen. So in F we knew what happened. The Captain comes on the PA and says "folks you will never believe what happened now..... " We had to wait another 45 minutes or so while the PA police investigated the incident and had the worker transported to the hospital.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.