Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business to Flagship First Upgrade Instruments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

I am sure this has been answered a million times already, but very difficult to search given lots of single characters, so apologies for asking again. As an EXP, what are the options for upgrading from paid J to F on the JFK-Cali Flagship routes? Do complimentary upgrades exist? Can you use stickers? Or are you stuck using a VIP or miles? Thank you.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I believe the stickers are from main cabin to next class of service. J to F is SWU or miles + copay
JDiver, ijgordon and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
No comp / sticker upgrade.

You can: (1) hope for a cabin roll (if J or Y is oversold) which would be an Op Up; (2) upgrade with miles (15,000 with no copay for J,D,R and 15,000 with $175 copay for I fare class); (3) upfare by paying the fare difference; (4) use an SWU
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Thank you, guys.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Thank you, guys.
you can also use a BXP1! excellent use of them IMO
JDiver, snorkmaster and jcatman like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If you are departing from JFK, MIA or LAX, I think the use of a VIP to go from J to F on a transcon is worth it when you factor-in the enhanced ground amenities.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: CK or bust
500 mile upgrades or stickers can only be used on domestic and Central America routes (North America) for the next class of service from main cabin but not beyond so you can't upgrade a business ticket to first class with stickers on a three class service between JFK and SFO/LAX.

AAdvantage® elite status members can upgrade from any eligible purchased, published fare in the Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy fares) to the next class of service for travel within North America on eligible American Airlines marketed and operated flights. Executive Platinum members can also upgrade on AAdvantage award tickets.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:52 am Reason: Already answered by Antarius https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30243750-post2.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
OK, that raises the question.

Can Platinum upgrade from MCE to PE using stickers?

(Admittedly, currently, I'm only seeing PE on international flights, so it may be academic.)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - there is no Premium Economy sold on any sticker-qualifying routes.
And there is currently NO official mechanism to upgrade from coach to PE.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Right - there is no Premium Economy sold on any sticker-qualifying routes.
And there is currently NO official mechanism to upgrade from coach to PE.
I swear I had the option on my DFW/HNL flight in August to request a sticker upgrade on the 777.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jliehr
I swear I had the option on my DFW/HNL flight in August to request a sticker upgrade on the 777.
Huh, they do sell PE on that route. It doesn’t look clear to me, however, what the sticker upgrade is for - PE or First class. Of course the rules state that sticker upgrades are “from main cabin to the next class of service.” But yet, you get the same upgrade request screen when booking paid PE. So it seems AA hasn’t really updated its policies.

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Huh, they do sell PE on that route. It doesn’t look clear to me, however, what the sticker upgrade is for - PE or First class. Of course the rules state that sticker upgrades are “from main cabin to the next class of service.” But yet, you get the same upgrade request screen when booking paid PE. So it seems AA hasn’t really updated its policies.

In my experience, sticker upgrades on DFW/HNL are to first class, whether you're booked in PE or Y. Very much like SWUs and mileage upgrades on international routes with PE. This TPG blog post seems to corroborate.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
In my experience, sticker upgrades on DFW/HNL are to first class, whether you're booked in PE or Y. Very much like SWUs and mileage upgrades on international routes with PE. This TPG blog post seems to corroborate.
Yeah, I definitely believe you; I was just noting AA's inconsistencies. They really need to sort this out. Upgrades from PE to J should cost less than from Y, but right now there's no difference. Unless of course they're moving toward a BA-style upgrade scheme where it really is a one-class limitation, then I'm sure nobody wants them to rush the implementation.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Premium Econmy is available for purchase on those routes it’s available, but there’s to my knowledge no formal s heme to upgrade from Y to PE, or from PE to J other than the normal scheme for those in Y. Nor does AA make PE available as award seats.

It will be interesting how AA will handle Premium Economy when it’s fully integrated into the system. The common question that has been asked is if AA will handle PE like BA er al, where it fully becomes a separate class of service. There’s no substantive information about that at this time, just speculation, even if informed speculation.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
Premium Econmy is available for purchase on those routes it’s available, but there’s to my knowledge no formal s heme to upgrade from Y to PE, or from PE to J other than the normal scheme for those in Y. Nor does AA make PE available as award seats.

It will be interesting how AA will handle Premium Economy when it’s fully integrated into the system. The common question that has been asked is if AA will handle PE like BA er al, where it fully becomes a separate class of service. There’s no substantive information about that at this time, just speculation, even if informed speculation.
Obviously a bit off topic from the first message here, but I imagine a lot of it will also have to do with how the domestic leader (DL) chooses to handle this. AA isn't exactly taking big risks these days (even in BE, they only barely watered down benefits and then came back mostly to DL unlikke UA). If DL keeps GUCs from either Y or W to J, AA will probably follow suit. The big difference with DL is they have an RUC product that AA doesn't have they could use for Y to W upgrades if they wanted to give their elites some additional benefit flexibility, but again, everything is pretty much subjective until both airlines have PE throughout their system (AA will get there first, but my guess is they're playing wait and see to see what DL does)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.