Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connecting flight rescheduled-AA want to charge me for the enforced layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.

Hi
Booked PPT-AKL-MEL a while back with AA rewards.

Cx to PPT-AKL means that my 14:00 AKL-MEL connection is now only 1hr which is apparently under the minimum time for International connections at AKL (?)

The next (only) available flight is 19:00, but there are no reward seats.

AA are asking Qantas if they will release an extra two so we can fly.

However, I was told from the CS that if this is not possible, then the next available flight -which is 06:00 the following day-will be charged by AA as an extra flight as this would be now considered a stop over!

How can this be true?

1. Not my fault that the connecting flight has moved and there's no space on the next one surely?

2. And, I thought that as it is less than 24hrs in AKl (we land at 13:00 from PPT), that this is a layover and not a stopover so is free anyway?

3. Also minimum connecting times in AKL for International to international are what? Surely we are in the same terminal so it's walking from one gate to another?

4. Do I have an option of not changing the flight to see if anything else moves as this is March 2019?

I have to wait 48 hrs to see if Qantas release seats for the 19:00 but I am looking for ammunition to fight my case against being charged for the onward flight AKL-MEL.
Seems unfair as it will cost me a hotel overnight and 24hrs delay in Aus-which means missing Friday practice at the F1.

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
According to EF the MCT at AKL for AA to any other carrier on an international - international itinerary is 1 hr 15 minutes.
blindman likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
According to EF the MCT at AKL for AA to any other carrier on an international - international itinerary is 1 hr 15 minutes.
But the OP is flying PPT-AKL; that's not an AA route.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by blindman
However, I was told from the CS that if this is not possible, then the next available flight -which is 06:00 the following day-will be charged by AA as an extra flight as this would be now considered a stop over!
I will simply ignore the comment of the CS.

OP is within his/her rights to be scared. But FWIW - AA has not yet charged OP for the extra yet. And DOT regulations explicitly prohibit this practice.

I believe, as always, it is simply the case of uninformed CS.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I will simply ignore the comment of the CS.

OP is within his/her rights to be scared. But FWIW - AA has not yet charged OP for the extra yet. And DOT regulations explicitly prohibit this practice.

I believe, as always, it is simply the case of uninformed CS.
Thanks
I too believe she was misinformed, I just need some link to say "DOT regulations " so I can fight my corner if needed.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
2012 DOT Passenger Protections - prohibiting post-purchase price increases. You got an agent that needs to go back for retraining.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the rule that under 24 hours on an international itinerary is a connection and not a stopover. You're not required to take the first legal flight to avoid pricing as a stopover. OTOH, typically the passenger's overnight expenses are not covered.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:02 pm

DOT regulation on price increase does not apply to PPT-MEL

From 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase

Originally Posted by dot
It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation
PPT-MEL does not fall within that remit

2. And, I thought that as it is less than 24hrs in AKl (we land at 13:00 from PPT), that this is a layover and not a stopover so is free anyway?
if It is a transit of < 24 hours , then it is not an issue ( unless the governing carrier's rules specify something more restrictive )

As far as the minimum connecting time, what airline are you flying to AKL on and which airline are you flying onwards to MEL on

If it is a TN-QF connection, then according to EF it is either 80 or 85 minutes depending on which of the 2 rules applies

**-QF is 80 minutes whilst TN-** is 85 minutes

The 55 minutes connection between a 13:05 arrival and a 14:05 departure would be not permitted under either rule

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 18, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
2012 DOT Passenger Protections - prohibiting post-purchase price increases. You got an agent that needs to go back for retraining.
Specifically - 14 CFR § 399.88.

The amount needed for OP's award booking is regularly advertised. And the change is not a result by OP. So if AA insists on charging, it will be a direct violation of both 49 USC § 41712 and 14 CFR § 399.88.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Specifically - 14 CFR § 399.88.

The amount needed for OP's award booking is regularly advertised. And the change is not a result by OP. So if AA insists on charging, it will be a direct violation of both 49 USC § 41712 and 14 CFR § 399.88.
Except that 399.88 does not apply for travel which is not in , to or from the USA

Reading it, I cannot see how U.S. Code § 41712 is relevant here
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Let's stop playing lawyer and feeding OP information which will only have the AAgent knowing that OP does not know what he is talking about. A thirty-second look at 14 CFR 399.88 makes it very clear that it only applies "within, to or from the United States." The segments in question do not fit within the Rule, so it does not apply.

First, take things one step at a time. Perhaps QF will open the requested seats and OP will not face the issue.
Second, if there is an issue, perhaps the next AAgent will simply rebook.
Third, in the meantime, do the research to determine the fare rules for this ticket. They likely provide for a 24-hour connection, but OP needs to be certain and ought to have those printed out and ready to quote.
Fourth, if the next AAgent causes a problem, be polite and simply ask for a supervisor.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Yes, and that's all there is to it. No need to read any further, it's not a stopover by AAdvantage rules, it's a transit, end of story-- no need for an additional award.
ijgordon and flyingeph12 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
First, do ask for a supervisor; in my experience, they are much better and, when I have explained nicely, have always tried to work with me to find a solution that would work for me.

Second, consider AKL-SYD/BNE-MEL options. While it adds a connection, it may save you an overnight in AKL.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Let's stop playing lawyer and feeding OP information which will only have the AAgent knowing that OP does not know what he is talking about. A thirty-second look at 14 CFR 399.88 makes it very clear that it only applies "within, to or from the United States." The segments in question do not fit within the Rule, so it does not apply.

First, take things one step at a time. Perhaps QF will open the requested seats and OP will not face the issue.
Second, if there is an issue, perhaps the next AAgent will simply rebook.
Third, in the meantime, do the research to determine the fare rules for this ticket. They likely provide for a 24-hour connection, but OP needs to be certain and ought to have those printed out and ready to quote.
Fourth, if the next AAgent causes a problem, be polite and simply ask for a supervisor.

Let us know how it goes.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
First, do ask for a supervisor; in my experience, they are much better and, when I have explained nicely, have always tried to work with me to find a solution that would work for me.

Second, consider AKL-SYD/BNE-MEL options. While it adds a connection, it may save you an overnight in AKL.
Hi

Thanks to all for the input.

Alternative routing is not possible as all the connecting flights leave before I arrive in AKL.

One last Q

If I do nothing what will AA do?

Can I just wait and see if there are any more reschedules that make the connection viable again?

My original QF AKL-MEL was cancelled and rescheduled for a 1/2 hr later take off, so I would not be surprised if there are more reschedules before my actual fly date (March 2019)

I will report back.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:03 am

I would be surprised if there were more schedule changes - Qantas does not do lots of changes and Im guessing this was a summer schedule change

AA will likely do nothing - it is only the ticketing agent - the airline whose schedule changed is responsible for fixing impacts of its schedule changes

If it is a Qantas change, I would suspect that if nothing had been done, qantas would have sorted it out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.