FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1931240-archive-expiring-swu-vip-giveaway-strictly-freely-given-2018-edition.html)

aztimm Sep 18, 2018 10:11 am

ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!
Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo) (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators

BrockAdams Nov 27, 2018 11:43 am

Never done this before... I have 1 SWU that will expire 1/31/19 that I am offering up to a good home. PM me if you're interested. I don't want anything in return, however I would prefer if:

1. You have some status so it has a likely chance of clearing.
2. It's for a longish flight - transcon or intl to make the most of it.

airmarc Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

PMd thanks :-)

BrockAdams Nov 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you everyone for your interest. The SWU has been claimed. All the best everyone.

Omnivore Nov 28, 2018 6:28 am

Glad I kept scrolling before PMing!

txrus Dec 5, 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BrockAdams (Post 30472518)
Never done this before... I have 1 SWU that will expire 1/31/19 that I am offering up to a good home. PM me if you're interested. I don't want anything in return, however I would prefer if:

1. You have some status so it has a likely chance of clearing.
2. It's for a longish flight - transcon or intl to make the most of it.

I have 2 available -must have inventory available to confirm.

I also have 2 Business Extra BXP1's, that will expire 12/31/18, available to a good home. Note, though, these are paper certificates, so there needs to be time enough to get them to you.

taekoyoko Dec 5, 2018 9:26 am

I sent PM.

txrus Dec 5, 2018 9:41 am

Ok, for those interested in using my spare SWU's or BXP1's, please ensure there is confirmable inventory before you contact me. Once you have confirmed that, I will need your flight details include record locator, etc.

For those unfamiliar w/BXP1's, please review the terms for their use, including the fare category you must be booked in, here. BXP1's are not valid for int'l trips. Note-if you are not booked in the correct fare class, you will need to rectify that first, including any fare upgrade that's needed.

golfingboy Dec 5, 2018 10:19 am

I have multiple BXP1s to give away as well. Like txrus mentioned above there are fare class restrictions, valid within North America only, and only can upgrade segment by segment (I.E. if you have a connecting itinerary one BXP can only upgrade one segment).

If anyone is interested in my BXP1s PM me.

MorganB Dec 5, 2018 10:49 am

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 30501570)
Ok, for those interested in using my spare SWU's or BXP1's, please ensure there is confirmable inventory before you contact me. Once you have confirmed that, I will need your flight details include record locator, etc.

Want to make sure I understand, you mean that there must be inventory in the upgrade fare class for SWU open and ready to confirm as opposed to waitlist? I'm interested as I have flights booked international but there is no immediate inventory. Thanks! Very kind of you to make the offer to everyone!

txrus Dec 5, 2018 11:10 am

FYI-I just tried to use the SWU's for someone who PM'd me & the agent admitted AA is not clearing any upgrades until day of flight 'because it's the holidays'.

This actually jives w/what happened to me on 11/25-the flight I was on had been wide open (literally only 1 seat taken up front) until T-5.5 hrs when upgrades started clearing. We ended up going out w/4 non-revs up front & 1 empty seat, which should tell you how light the flight was, but no way were any upgrades going to clear until the very last minute.

kjm12898 Dec 5, 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 30501923)
FYI-I just tried to use the SWU's for someone who PM'd me & the agent admitted AA is not clearing any upgrades until day of flight 'because it's the holidays'.

This actually jives w/what happened to me on 11/25-the flight I was on had been wide open (literally only 1 seat taken up front) until T-5.5 hrs when upgrades started clearing. We ended up going out w/4 non-revs up front & 1 empty seat, which should tell you how light the flight was, but no way were any upgrades going to clear until the very last minute.

That is frustrating. Im waitlisted on 100 JFK-LHR this Friday, but not looking too good. The upgrade list Wednesday I believe had 12 people and they all cleared. No C Space. Was fascinated to see C space on DFW and LAX to LHR a few days this week.

txrus Dec 5, 2018 11:16 am

I think if you are traveling in December, there is no point even trying based on my call just now. If you are traveling mid-January, there may be hope if you can find inventory that's available to be confirmed. My suggestion is to call yourself & find out first before PM'ing those that are offering.

skydve1 Dec 6, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 30501923)

My father (a newly minted EXP) comes back from a trip to Europe on 12/10. On 12/03, EF alerted me to a C1 for his FRA-CLT flight. I called the EXP desk immediately and they used one of my expiring SWU's to upgrade him right away. So, at least on 12/03, they cleared a SWU on a 12/10 flight.

txrus Dec 6, 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1 (Post 30506421)
My father (a newly minted EXP) comes back from a trip to Europe on 12/10. On 12/03, EF alerted me to a C1 for his FRA-CLT flight. I called the EXP desk immediately and they used one of my expiring SWU's to upgrade him right away. So, at least on 12/03, they cleared a SWU on a 12/10 flight.

Your father was lucky. I tried again an hour ago & got the same story, though the agent admitted that there are 13 seats open on one of the flights I was trying to get a fellow FT'er upgraded on.