Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First AA Flight after 1 year of leaving for Delta. How do you guys do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist

Wow is all I can say. I'm glad I left.

Left AA as an Executive Platinum last September for Delta after the straw that broke the camels back. (Long story, doesn't really matter). Been in Delta ever since and I'm just a few thousand miles From Diamond in my first true year of Delta.

I was basically forced to use AA for this trip since I live in Dallas and had to fly to Houston. I would've even flown through Atlanta or Detroit of it was cheep enough but sadly I couldn't justify a $1200 ticket that in reality is a 3 hour car ride so I went with AA.

It's night and day folks. I feel like I'm walking into a horror show when I board. Even though is was upgraded because of my ExPL status from last year, it was an utter .... show. Plus the plane is supposedly brand new, doesn't even compare to the ...... Delta planes. It's so bad guys.

First class doesn't mean anything when they won't even reserve overhead space for us even though I showed up group 4. (On that note real quick, the app doesn't even tell you when you're boarding so you can scoot your ... over to the gate? Ridiculous!) Anyway my bag is in row 22. Thanks for saving those spots in FC and MCE for those fine folks that give you money AA. Great job.

Lastly the staff just doesn't care. You can tell they just don't give a rats ... about anything. I saw a woman put in a plastic grocery bag of something in the overhead bin and all the FA did was close it. Where is the vigilence? Where are the rules enforced? They just kept laughing and made jokes about how no one will find any more bag space. Leaving 20min late is a real plus too because of all of this.

Leave AA folks. I live in the heart of AA country at DFW but I still manage. The direct flights aren't worth it when it's a 2/10 experience.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA FAs like to remind passengers they have a choice of airlines - definitely true for Dallas - Houston. You also have United. Plus Southwest out of Dallas Love Field.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CloneCones
I would've even flown through Atlanta or Detroit of it was cheep enough

You lost me at this point...that's beyond irrational. DFW-IAH is ~50 mins in the air, you'd fly to Detriot which is 2061 miles (DFW-DTW-IAH) rather than the 224 mile flight on AA....because you showed up late to boarding and the bins in F were full.
enviroian, GTITAN, AAway and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:19 pm
.me

I fly for free on AA, and I can't even stand it for that price
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I have no real love for AA, its my carrier because they are the only ones that serve my airport (through Envoy, anyways). Everything about your experience seems true enough (i.e. old feeling planes and customer service). But it seems rather unusual that F's bins were filled. I am usually at the bulkhead nowadays in coach and have always, always seen F bins with plenty of space. I thought it was unusual on my last flight that the FA assisted the last onboard coach passenger with a roller bag come back up front and put it in the F bins (which were nearly empty still. I thought for sure they would gate tag it and make a nasty fuss about having to do so).
ChicGeekUno likes this.

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:50 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ryan182
You lost me at this point...that's beyond irrational. DFW-IAH is ~50 mins in the air, you'd fly to Detriot which is 2061 miles (DFW-DTW-IAH) rather than the 224 mile flight on AA....because you showed up late to boarding and the bins in F were full.
I am with OP. Everything he/she details is/was an everyday experience for me, and only getting worse. We just get/got numb to it. At what point do you say "I'm mad as h***, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"? I'm a 15 year EXP (already qualified through 1/31/20) and MrsDallas49er (also already qualified through 1/31/20) have just 4 and 6 segments left on AA. We are free agents as we speak.

I SUSPECT OP's thought process may have been driven by the concepts of PRINCIPLE ( see Ghandi, Mahatma or King, Dr. Martin Luther, or Luther, Martin, or Mandela, Nelson ...) or maybe CHARACTER (see Tutu, Desmond or Washington, George, or Sen, Dr. Sun Yat ...) or even both. Both seem to be concepts in almost non-existent supply these days.

I ALSO SUSPECT that there are many on this board who have been faced with a similar (Flight routing) decision and decided to ..... (You know who you are!)

My hat is off to OP, who at least showed both principle and character before giving in (surrendering).

Keeping it On Topic, and AA related-We, like OP are leaving AA only because they left us 1st.

YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 10, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What’s delta’s plat? 75k? Then it jumps to 125 for diamond? I hear delta’s CS is top notch during irrops but I also hear no one gets upgraded and award J redemptions are non existent.

Accurate?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Must not get a lot of old MD 88 and MD 90's as a regular DL flyer if you think all their planes are new.
yorock, MorganB and BSBtraveller like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by enviroian
What’s delta’s plat? 75k? Then it jumps to 125 for diamond? I hear delta’s CS is top notch during irrops but I also hear no one gets upgraded and award J redemptions are non existent.

Accurate?
Yes, it's pretty accurate

PM is 75k, DM is 125k. Delta CS is better than AA on an average, even for a current kettle. International J award rates are often crazy high on DL. But there are often good domestic deals to be had. Calling SkyMiles a "Sky Peso" sometimes feels like an insult to the Peso
enviroian, Dallas49er and In2ishn like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You drive Dallas to Houston in 3 hours? If so, why fly?
I often see FC baggage fill up from FC passengers especially out of Dallas.
Were you trying to put a full size rollarboard and space was full all of the way back to 22?
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
why is someone upgraded to F boarding with Group 4 ?
yorock, TWA884, apeortdz and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I am with OP. Everything he/she details is/was an everyday experience for me, and only getting worse. We just get/got numb to it. At what point do you say "I'm mad as h***, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"? I'm a 15 year EXP (already qualified through 1/31/20) and MrsDallas49er (also already qualified through 1/31/20) have just 4 and 6 segments left on AA. We are free agents as we speak.

I SUSPECT OP's thought process may have been driven by the concepts of PRINCIPAL ( see Ghandi, Mahatma or King, Dr. Martin Luther, or Luther, Martin, or Mandela, Nelson ...) or maybe CHARACTER (see Tutu, Desmond or Washington, George, or Sen, Dr. Sun Yat ...) or even both. Both seem to be concepts in almost non-existent supply these days.

I ALSO SUSPECT that there are many on this board who have been faced with a similar (Flight routing) decision and decided to ..... (You know who you are!)

My hat is off to OP, who at least showed both principal and character before giving in (surrendering).

Keeping it On Topic, and AA related-We, like OP are leaving AA only because they left us 1st.

YMMV
Good luck with your move. It's fun being a free agent. Just wanted to point out that princiPAL = run the school, princiPLE is what you're looking for :-)
scoonee, jhartvu and Whodunit68 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Good luck with your move. It's fun being a free agent. Just wanted to point out that princiPAL = run the school, princiPLE is what you're looking for :-)
Thanks. I'll fix it now.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Lastly the staff just doesn't care. You can tell they just don't give a rats ... about anything. I saw a woman put in a plastic grocery bag of something in the overhead bin and all the FA did was close it. Where is the vigilence? Where are the rules enforced?
What's the rule against a plastic grocery bag in the overhead bin? Have I been breaking some weird rule without realizing it?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA FAs like to remind passengers they have a choice of airlines - definitely true for Dallas - Houston. You also have United. Plus Southwest out of Dallas Love Field.
If I wasn't ExecPlat right now because of last year I may have considered the other two, probably Southwest purely because I live closer to Love Field and it's my airport of choice with Delta.

Originally Posted by ryan182
You've never done a weird routing purely to stay loyal? Yes I absolutely would have if it was cheap enough. That's how bad AA is to me now.

Originally Posted by enviroian

Accurate?
I've been upgraded about 200% more times on Delta as a Platinum than I did as an ExecPlat on American. (Damn I wish they did an exact transfer) I think hub status had a major factor with this though. I wasn't really unhappy with the amount of upgrades on AA until I was a step lower on Delta and was getting it all the time.

I can see an argument for ExecPlat over Delta in some cases but I will absolutely defend Delta for the lower tier benefits. Plus until AA started doing it, Comfort+ which is the MCE equivalent, was the only one that had free alcohol and expanded snacks. So it was very much first class like.

Customer service wise, it's not even close. Delta wins hands down. I'm not sure why but whenever I call I get transferred to the Diamond desk and it's answered instantly. I get quick helpful responses and they actually seem to enjoy their job. Only time I could hear them cracking was when ATL had that big power outage a year ago or so. 50x better than AA.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Must not get a lot of old MD 88 and MD 90's as a regular DL flyer if you think all their planes are new.
I did early on but I think there are more people getting fed up with AA or Southwest because they keep bringing bigger (and newer) planes. Plus those MDs had actual power outlets and not that DC crap AAs old planes had. I'll take that in an instant.

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Yes, it's pretty accurate

PM is 75k, DM is 125k. Delta CS is better than AA on an average, even for a current kettle. International J award rates are often crazy high on DL. But there are often good domestic deals to be had. Calling SkyMiles a "Sky Peso" sometimes feels like an insult to the Peso
This is ultimately the biggest downfall with the program. The miles are essentially worthless. I earn a ton of them but can never use them.

The trick is to use the miles as upgrades for paid fares. That's the sweet spot I found. Especially on DL ticketed partner flights.

Originally Posted by mvoight
You drive Dallas to Houston in 3 hours? If so, why fly?
I often see FC baggage fill up from FC passengers especially out of Dallas.
Were you trying to put a full size rollarboard and space was full all of the way back to 22?
I don't have a car since I fly so much so I would have to rent one which would basically make me go to the airport anyway. Plus I love flying regardless of my first world problems post.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
why is someone upgraded to F boarding with Group 4 ?
I had thought the app would notify me so I could get there. I was right next to the gate at a bar watching the Monday Night Football game waiting for the notification. Never came. Looked back and people were boarding.
_kurt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.