Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Major SE USA travel waiver notice issued for Hurricane Florence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major SE USA travel waiver notice issued for Hurricane Florence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I don't think that anyone is "cashing in". This is likely simply the normal price that you would pay for a last minute fare when only a few seats are left. In other words, there is a lack of special fare rather than a deliberate gouging. The revenue management algorithm does not know there is a hurricane, it just raises the price according to a set of rules regarding how many seats are remaining on the plane.
Exactly. Intra-Carolinas flights have always been pretty high last minute, nothing to do with the hurricane other than probably filling up a few more seats than normal. Anyone price conscious will just drive, while anyone that "has to be there" will pay the fares. Heck, mid $500s for a round trip last minute doesn't even sound that bad (RDU-CLT round trips are pricing in the $700-$800s over the next few days, for example).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What's odd about this is that travel can be rebooked to another airport that is part of the travel waiver. How does that help? I have a flight into Greensboro/High Point, NC on Saturday from LHR and a flight back out on Monday morning. Why would I want to rebook into another affected airport? Would they allow rebooking into an airport that is not affected by weather?

Another question regarding my flight back out on Monday morning to ICN...if I rebook into another airport, will they allow me to rebook my separate reservation out of that new airport that I fly into given it is one day after the waiver ends? If it matters, it is paid business class.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What's odd about this is that travel can be rebooked to another airport that is part of the travel waiver. How does that help? I have a flight into Greensboro/High Point, NC on Saturday from LHR and a flight back out on Monday morning. Why would I want to rebook into another affected airport? Would they allow rebooking into an airport that is not affected by weather?

Another question regarding my flight back out on Monday morning to ICN...if I rebook into another airport, will they allow me to rebook my separate reservation out of that new airport that I fly into given it is one day after the waiver ends? If it matters, it is paid business class.
How it helps, apparently, is that you can rebook for a later date. Right now it says you can change either origin or destination to any place on the list -- or any of the WAS airports -- to fly on Sep 10-19.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Had to make two calls. First agent didn't even recognize DFW-LHR operated by AA. :-: The second agent gave me limited options due to load and system restrictions. Rebooked ZRH-PHL-CLT-AUS -> ZRH-LHR-AUS. So one flight was take away but on the flip side I'm going to arrive 6h earlier and get double Avios.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

It's typically always like that for weather waivers, AA is pretty flexible. If you want to roll the dice and rebook to another city that may be affected as well then that's up to the traveler. With a waiver covering this many cities, it's highly likely that some will be greatly affected while others not so much, and at different times over the coming few days, so it doesn't make much sense to be overly restrictive in the rebooking options.

I've found the EXP desk to be pretty accommodating in these instances , if you change your first itinerary to end in another city then I would for sure ask about changing your 2nd itinerary to start from there as well. Might take a HUCA but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't help you out.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I booked a ticket on the morning of September 10. The waiver applies to tickets purchased "by September 10." Wonder if that means "before September 10" or "on or before September 10?"
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:37 pm

Given that the latest predictions basically have Flo headed straight for CLT, any indications that AA might extend the waiver beyond 9/16?

https://s.w-x.co/wu/euro-sep12.png
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Yeah, CMS (our local public school system in CLT) has closed schools for the next two days.
Safe Travels
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:15 pm

Hey there,

I’m flying YYZ-MCO on Friday, and while I won’t be at one of the affected airports, how does that work for when the hurricane is directly in the typical flight path?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:25 pm

Just like any other weather. They fly around it.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro, HH Diamond
A quick "what do I do" question...

Return Itinerary for tomorrow 9/13 is PIT-CLT-GSO. However, my CLT-GSO flight has been cancelled twice. Now, I've been rebooked PIT-CLT-DCA-GSO, which makes no sense... no reason to get stuck in DC when I'm only an hour drive from GSO when I'm in CLT.

Any hidden ticket issues if I get off in CLT, cancel the remaining ticket, and take a rental/uber to GSO to pick up my car?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I booked a ticket on the morning of September 10. The waiver applies to tickets purchased "by September 10." Wonder if that means "before September 10" or "on or before September 10?"
On or before.

Originally Posted by qaflyer
A quick "what do I do" question...

Return Itinerary for tomorrow 9/13 is PIT-CLT-GSO. However, my CLT-GSO flight has been cancelled twice. Now, I've been rebooked PIT-CLT-DCA-GSO, which makes no sense... no reason to get stuck in DC when I'm only an hour drive from GSO when I'm in CLT.

Any hidden ticket issues if I get off in CLT, cancel the remaining ticket, and take a rental/uber to GSO to pick up my car?
Just call them. I'm 98% sure AA won't have an issue reticketing uou only to CLT.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
On or before.

Just call them. I'm 98% sure AA won't have an issue reticketing uou only to CLT.
Thanks for the advice - Just got off the phone with them - flight cancelled after CLT. Was on the phone 3x today with reservations over different cancellations and didn't want to make that 4th call lol
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qaflyer
Thanks for the advice - Just got off the phone with them - flight cancelled after CLT. Was on the phone 3x today with reservations over different cancellations and didn't want to make that 4th call lol
You could also switch to PIT-RDU today if it would help, looks like the afternoon flight is cancelled but the noon flight is still running. Airport to airport, driving RDU-GSO is about 30 mins quicker than driving CLT-GSO.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Yet another weather event where Delta runs a normal schedule and AA cancels for an entire day in "anticipation" of a hurricane hitting RDU. Was booked on AA this am and woke up to every flight being canceled for the day. This, despite the weather forecast now saying Raleigh will not be hit. Went to Delta terminal where I'm now sitting on the 3rd on-time LGA-RDU flight of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.