Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status: a pointless goal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I tried to be conservative and told a friend I travel in PEY for some LH, and the immediate response was "you are rich and wasting money!" (Didn't even bring up purchased J).

"Yeah, I don't dine in fancy restaurants every weekend for $200+ each, or "uber" dinners every night"
When I started travelling for business in 1982, my new boss told me "Treat your expense account dollars like they are your own." Now, I don't have an expense account, and I treat my dollars the same way-as if they are my own.

Airline status (of any kind (unless you are CK, AND your poo don't stink)) is so '90s. Unfortunately, after checking my sundial, we are in 2018. Mileage Runs in this household are now so '90s, also.
drsh99 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've flown with status and I've flown without. In almost every measurable way it's better to fly with status. The reasons for that hardly need repeating.
garykung, apeortdz, bse118 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've flown with status and I've flown without. In almost every measurable way it's better to fly with status. The reasons for that hardly need repeating.
​​​​​​
I don't know why this is controversial. If you are flying more than say 10 segments a year, status is beneficial.
JonNYC and LovePrunes like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
​​​​​​
I don't know why this is controversial. If you are flying more than say 10 segments a year, status is beneficial.
Agreed. I don't think that's a controversial position whatsoever.

Ultimately, each of us must do a cost benefit analysis to determine whether or not maintaining status is worth the cost. The cost of maintaining status is highly variable and greatly depends on one's travel patterns. For someone who flies AA/BA DFW-LHR in J monthly on their employer's dime, the cost of maintaining status is effectively zero. Whereas someone who flies to various and less popular destinations, the cost could be more expensive tickets, less convenient routings, etc.

For me, it's definitely nice to have status, but I also accept that there are some instances where my status is completely useless (such as flying non-partner airlines in Europe, Africa, Asia, etc). Further, as the majority of my travel is international, I probably derive a lot less benefit from my status than someone who flies 100 domestic segments annually.

One thing is certain. If the majority of my travels took me to Africa, I'd have a hard time justifying loyalty to AA. *A is probably a better bet for the majority Africa flyer.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
My first thought was, "Grin and bear it." If your employer sends you that far in steerage or steerage+, and you accept this, then you must have a fantastically fulfilling job.

If I were in your shoes, I'd quit.
I have a fantastically fulfilling job. And my kids think I'm an outrageously cool mom.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by drsh99
I have a fantastically fulfilling job. And my kids think I'm an outrageously cool mom.
I once had a fantastically fulfilling job. Then I got promoted a month later. More power to you, you outrageously cool HUMAN BEING!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by drsh99
I have a fantastically fulfilling job.
I hope to be there some day
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
​​​​​​
perhaps because the effort and cost associated wirh acquisition of status is not worth the limited benefits it brings?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by azepine00
perhaps because the effort and cost associated wirh acquisition of status is not worth the limited benefits it brings?
​​​​​​
Ideally, status should cost nothing. For those that are flying a decent amount (say 35,000 EQM), it makes sense to direct enough of those flights to one airline so that you earn status. Even my meager Gold status with AA has gotten me free standby, upgrades on business trips, free bags, and other amenities that I would have had to pay extra for.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
For me, it's definitely nice to have status, but I also accept that there are some instances where my status is completely useless (such as flying non-partner airlines in Europe, Africa, Asia, etc). Further, as the majority of my travel is international, I probably derive a lot less benefit from my status than someone who flies 100 domestic segments annually.

One thing is certain. If the majority of my travels took me to Africa, I'd have a hard time justifying loyalty to AA. *A is probably a better bet for the majority Africa flyer.
This is all fine. However, for the majority of domestic business travelers, status is useful. So while a thread titled "elite status: a pointless goal" may sound interesting, it is simply untrue for a lot of people.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
When I started travelling for business in 1982, my new boss told me "Treat your expense account dollars like they are your own." Now, I don't have an expense account, and I treat my dollars the same way-as if they are my own.

Airline status (of any kind (unless you are CK, AND your poo don't stink)) is so '90s. Unfortunately, after checking my sundial, we are in 2018. Mileage Runs in this household are now so '90s, also.
My point was, we all have different priorities and things make ourselves happy. In a more boring bookworm way of Economics 101 speaking, it is our ways to maximize utility function. I am happy about my expenses on airfares, while my friend is happy about hers on fine dinning and takeouts. OTOH, we are both in our late 20s and able to max out our 401(k) to IRS limit. Your miles really vary.

I enjoy my experiences with CX as OWE regardless of J or W, F lounges, two TALT AA flights services this year were good, and I had to cancel a lot of last minute rewards flights on AA this year without paying penalty, on top of 100% domestic upgrade and 100% SWU clear. That's enough said about my opinion on status, FOR ME.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Aug 14, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
My dad told me the same thing back in the 1960s. It's true.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I hope a few million EX-Plats renounce their status as well. Let's get this ball rolling so I can sit up front more!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:10 pm

Does "Treat expense account dollars like they are your own" mean use them for personal expenses and unnecessary luxuries? Because I do that with my own money...
JoeWoodstock and drsh99 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
"Cost of acquisition of status" That's not really a thing.

I fly because I need to fly. Status comes as a result of that. I don't fly because I want status.

I have never missed an Y-->J SWU request as an EXP. I can always get a shower and have a calm lounge to relax in. I have access to fast track security and first class check-in at international outstations. For my flying pattern that's huge. Don't tell me that status brings "limited benefits".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.