Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle by Compas SEA - LAX - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver

I fell into the old trap and now find myself on a commuter carrier after booking on the AA website. It begs the question: Why would AA farm out a 3-hour flight between two major west coast cities to Compass? This is hardly a commuter flight. Had I been flying to Boise or Portland, I might have been more alert. But Seattle to Los Angeles on Embraer metal?

Coulda flown Delta....
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzz
Coulda flown Delta....
or Alaska.

But you should count yourself lucky you are not on an E145 or CRJ-200!
Nick0514 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As someone based in SEA, I prefer this to the mix of the A319s and E175s they had on the route before. Yeah, I miss the hot meal on the A319, but my upgrade clears more reliably on the E175 (or, when purchasing paid business, there's actually inventory available on the 175...), the meals are reasonably substantial (more so than what AS last served me on that route), and I've found the Compass crews to be great.

The biggest downsides have been a) they seem to schedule it tighter than the current airport situations at LAX and SEA allow, so there are often delays and b) the remote terminal at LAX (and, increasingly, the bus gates at SEA).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
I’m 6’5” tall (2 meters) and will do just about anything to avoid a commuter airline. The cabin is cramped, the carry-ons don’t fit, the food is inferior, and the pilots are inexperienced.

Again, I understand the contracted model for commuter carriers, but I don’t understand why a medium-haul flight like SEA-LAX would be farmed out.

I admit to being frustrated with myself for not catching this. Live and learn.
Nick0514 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I’m 6’5” tall (2 meters) and will do just about anything to avoid a commuter airline. The cabin is cramped, the carry-ons don’t fit, the food is inferior, and the pilots are inexperienced.

Again, I understand the contracted model for commuter carriers, but I don’t understand why a medium-haul flight like SEA-LAX would be farmed out.

Have a look at the flight number -- generally anything >2999 is not mainline.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by logicalrealist
As someone based in SEA, I prefer this to the mix of the A319s and E175s they had on the route before. Yeah, I miss the hot meal on the A319, but my upgrade clears more reliably on the E175 (or, when purchasing paid business, there's actually inventory available on the 175...), the meals are reasonably substantial (more so than what AS last served me on that route), and I've found the Compass crews to be great.

The biggest downsides have been a) they seem to schedule it tighter than the current airport situations at LAX and SEA allow, so there are often delays and b) the remote terminal at LAX (and, increasingly, the bus gates at SEA).
I agree. I fly LAX-IAH (and back) and really appreciate the availability of space upfront even in the smaller cabin. The Compass crews tend to be the best in my experience (often better than mainline).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

As someone who thoroughly hates regional jets, I will say I disagree with your assessment when applied to the 175. Normal size carry-ons fit fine, the seating is much more spacious than your average crappy domestic Airbus or 737 (Aided by the fact that in F you can sit alone on the '1' side). The food may not be hot, but what's served on mainline AA these days isn't exactly any less inferior. As for the pilot experience, to my knowledge Compass has never had a fatal accident or a hull loss, and while the pilots may not have been flying for 3 or 4 decades, I don't necessarily view that as a bad thing.

Now, if you had accidentally booked onto a CRJ, then I would certainly understand your despair.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
'Yo, Buzzz. Fly the route, then perform the critique.

I've found Compass crews to be consistently professional, well-trained and genuinely interested in providing a good customer experience.

As for the aircraft, the E175 interior can be a lot more comfortable than many of AA's older 737's.
formeraa, C17PSGR, TWA884 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
This isn't a fair statement to make with regards to the E175. That aircraft, regardless of where you sit, is more comfortable than any mainline bird. You won't have a middle seat and if you sit up front, you have your choice of sitting by yourself. 1A and 4A are the best seats in the industry on the domestic side. And considering LAX-SEA isn't a hub to hub AA route, I'm just glad they aren't flying the CR9 or E145 between those cities. With AA, between LAX-BOI and LAX-SEA are comparable in terms of aircraft utilization. In fact, this is a newish route within the AA route structure. And this is coming from someone who is 6'5", FWIW
formeraa and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I fell into the old trap and now find myself on a commuter carrier after booking on the AA website. It begs the question: Why would AA farm out a 3-hour flight between two major west coast cities to Compass? This is hardly a commuter flight. Had I been flying to Boise or Portland, I might have been more alert. But Seattle to Los Angeles on Embraer metal?

Coulda flown Delta....
In addition to the long flight in the small plane, does it still give you the free bus ride from the Eagle terminal to the main terminal 4 at LAX?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
E175 is probably the best narrowbody in the sky. Enjoy it.

The ONLY downside is the bus ride at LAX, I will tolerate that to enjoy a comfortable seat for a few hours.
formeraa likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
AA was a recent entry into the already crowded SEA-LAX market. They don't have the loyal customer base that AS or DL have. Therefore, they use smaller planes. I'm old enough to remember flying on DC-9-10's -- the E175's are about the same size and seat width.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
What is DL flying on this route nowadays? I flew DL on this route a few years ago and it, too, was on an E175 operated by Compass (which I quite enjoyed, especially with the hot soup that DL offered on this aircraft/route).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Have a look at the flight number -- generally anything >2999 is not mainline.
You needn’t look at any flight numbers - it says clearly on the website who the flight is operated by.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

You needn’t look at any flight numbers - it says clearly on the website who the flight is operated by.
And the aircraft type is clearly listed, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.