FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   DFW-GUA complimentary upgrade but GUA-DFW no? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1924660-dfw-gua-complimentary-upgrade-but-gua-dfw-no.html)

kabroui Aug 11, 2018 12:18 pm

DFW-GUA complimentary upgrade but GUA-DFW no?

Looking to book PHX-DFW-GUA_DFW_PHX over a long October weekend. Was thinking of just booking Y since J is significantly more, but can't figure out why as an EXP I would be eligible for complimentary upgrade on all segments except for the GUA-DFW return segment which says 'Contact AA for upgrade Awards'... I'm sure it must have something to do with booking class, but I'm surprised that I'm not eligible for upgrade on a 3 hour flight from Central America. GUA-DFW-GUA segments usually have plenty of open space up front, so I'm not inclined to pay a co-pay for this. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Finsup72 Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by kabroui (Post 30071925)
Looking to book PHX-DFW-GUA_DFW_PHX over a long October weekend. Was thinking of just booking Y since J is significantly more, but can't figure out why as an EXP I would be eligible for complimentary upgrade on all segments except for the GUA-DFW return segment which says 'Contact AA for upgrade Awards'... I'm sure it must have something to do with booking class, but I'm surprised that I'm not eligible for upgrade on a 3 hour flight from Central America. GUA-DFW-GUA segments usually have plenty of open space up front, so I'm not inclined to pay a co-pay for this. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Call AA and ask

emcat Aug 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes, it's a system glitch. However, I'd still call to make sure you're on the list.

kabroui Aug 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by emcat (Post 30075213)
Yes, it's a system glitch. However, I'd still call to make sure you're on the list.

Now it's showing as ????????? for type of upgrade and ?????????? for the upgrade? fields. I did call and they said it was an IT problem. Flight isn't for a month yet so I will keep monitoring. Thanks for the response!

enpremiere Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm

?????? is clearly American's new way to add fun to flying today. If they simply put "Upgrade requested" or "Confirmed" you'd be on your way and we wouldn't have a thread to break up the monotony of boarding priority and lounge posts but ??????? (not just one but a whole series of question marks) keeps you engaged so that you'll keep checking your itinerary.

While the ???????? display issue is an IT problem, did the phone agent say that you were added to the upgrade list for the segment? It certainly is odd that only one segment would have that issue.

Enjoy the trip; it's a beautiful country!