Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Return to Gate to Unload Passanger on Wrong Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return to Gate to Unload Passanger on Wrong Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was on a flight to Portland, ME (PWM), seated next to a guy who had been dozing against the window. When the 'We're getting ready to land in Portland,' announcement was made he became quite agitated. 'Portland! I'm not going to Portland. I'm going to Philadelphia!' Said I, 'Not on this plane. Not tonight.'
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't excuse the fail, but it is entirely possible that the "clueless" passenger, when asked for BP and passport, presented both even though traveling to PHL. I routinely see passengers trying to push their passport onto GA's for domestic flights.

The fail is the same, no matter the destination. The gate reader should have alerted the GA that an attempt was being made to board a flight for which the passenger was not ticketed.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FAA1996
On AA2560 MIA-SAL right now and returning to gate to unload passenger who meant to go to PHL! This is in top the flight already being delayed almost 1 hour because of maintenance. How does this happen? The Passenger is clueless and both GA and system obviously failed. I would have thought the flight would take off and AA would deal with the clueless passenger without inconveniencing so many others. Oh well. Will definitely write to AA about this.
If the passenger had arrived in El Salvador without a passport the airline would be responsible for transporting him out on the next flight - and subject to significant fines.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ellinj
I once encountered a similar situation at Dulles on a united flight. They were boarding Charleston, WV and Charleston, SC from the same gate, which then split out to the tarmac where you would walk to either plane. Made for some interesting confusion since both planes were going to "Charleston"
I observed a similar SNAFU on AA -- Rochester MN and Rochester NY boarding at the same time from (IIRC) H-6-A and H-6-B at Chicago O'Hare. A split jetway, where the passengers had to know which tube leads to which Rochester. Hilarity ensued.

I still wonder if some disgruntled Ops employee was playing a prank that day.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Because checking passports with boarding passes was part of the boaridng process, everyone on the plane should have had a passport. I guess it just points the finger at a sloppy incompetent GA if they boarded without a passport.

Then again, its MIA, so I shouldn't be surprised. Crew will probably time out with a scheduled departure of 9:11pm now. Shows as diverted to MIA in the system.
Maybe he had a passport. I often carry my passport in my laptop bag. That said, he certainly didn't have a BP for that flight.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I observed a similar SNAFU on AA -- Rochester MN and Rochester NY boarding at the same time from (IIRC) H-6-A and H-6-B at Chicago O'Hare. A split jetway, where the passengers had to know which tube leads to which Rochester. Hilarity ensued.

I still wonder if some disgruntled Ops employee was playing a prank that day.
Once I was at DFW and flights to the 3 San Jose's (SJC, SJO, and SJD) were next to each other
I had to check to make sure it wasn't April 1
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Often1
The fail is the same, no matter the destination. The gate reader should have alerted the GA that an attempt was being made to board a flight for which the passenger was not ticketed.
Yeah, this is what I don’t get. You still have to scan boarding passes before getting on the plane, right? Unless the system malfunctioned or the GA wasn’t paying attention, I’m not sure how the passenger was able to bypass this point.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Update here after talking with fellow passengers on flight. The clueless passenger was in J also, 2 rows ahead of me, and not that it matters, but it was a he. Another passenger saw his mobile boarding pass was not scanning at boarding (beep or red light at machine) and GA was busy arguing with her co-worker about something else. She took his seat number and input it in the machine to let him board. J was pretty empty so no duplicate seat by chance, but it seems weird that the FAs did not notice an extra person in J, there are only 16 seats total. He alerted the FA after the captain said we were xxx in line for take off and to enjoy our flight to SAL. He missed it the first 3 or 4 times it was mentioned om the PA before that.

It's interesting as I was boarding a flight to BWI last week also out of MIA and our GAs were also arguing with each other, guy scanning boarding passes rolled eyes when other GA offered to check in bags at gate and he took the tags from her and made a comment to the effect that she was getting on his last nerve, very unprofessional.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Update here after talking with fellow passengers on flight. The clueless passenger was in J also, 2 rows ahead of me, and not that it matters, but it was a he. Another passenger saw his mobile boarding pass was not scanning at boarding (beep or red light at machine) and GA was busy arguing with her co-worker about something else. She took his seat number and input it in the machine to let him board. J was pretty empty so no duplicate seat by chance, but it seems weird that the FAs did not notice an extra person in J, there are only 16 seats total. He alerted the FA after the captain said we were xxx in line for take off and to enjoy our flight to SAL. He missed it the first 3 or 4 times it was mentioned om the PA before that.

It's interesting as I was boarding a flight to BWI last week also out of MIA and our GAs were also arguing with each other, guy scanning boarding passes rolled eyes when other GA offered to check in bags at gate and he took the tags from her and made a comment to the effect that she was getting on his last nerve, very unprofessional.
I fly both Delta and American pretty extensively, and both have hubs where the GAs have bad reputations--ATL or PHL, for example--though I think the vast majority of agents even at their worst hubs are perfectly good. The AA MIA crew is really in another league. I don't understand how at least half of the agents I've dealt with there still have jobs.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Back in the ‘80’s I checked in to a DL flight in ATL and was asked where I was going and I said “Dallas.” Half way to the gate, I noticed that my boarding pass was for IAD (Dulles) - obviously something was lost in translation! Fortunately, only my bag ended up at Dulles that day.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

I once was on Las to Lax with AA. The flight depart from D8. Little did I know that my flight was something like 3pm and there was another flight from the same gate to Lax at 220pm or so. Without looking carefully after a long transcontinental trip I went on board when boarding call started. I gave the boarding pass to the agent and was allowed on board. Once onboard I saw someone sitting in my seat and got puzzled. Then I realise that I was on the wrong flight. I think the agent came on board later and I did not know if he found the mistake. I offloaded myself of course. Until today I still didnot understand why the scan did not pick up I was in the wrong flight.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
At JFK T8, gates 1,2 and 11,12 have a common initial corridor, but split later on; the bp check is done in the terminal. So if two flts are departing from say 11,12 at the same time* it is easy for pax to take the wrong fork "in the road"; they have an agent direct pax to the proper gate at the fork. But once the agent was directing pax to the wrong planes...
*it would be better if they staggered departures from these gates.
DFW had a few gates like this. They added a metal barrier in the jetway a few years ago to ensure you couldn't end up on the wrong plane which helps a lot.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Not a big deal, just a couple of hour delay in the end, but a bit frustrating. The passenger was literally clueless, with no knowledge or awareness of where they were or what was happening at the gate, during boarding, and for the first 15 minutes after we left the gate. Really the airlines' system and GA fault, not trying to to blame the passenger and will drop a note of to AA. Safe travels.
What will this accomplish? AA should be well aware about the delay and of course the cause as others have noted, this would've been a very big deal had the passenger made it to SAL. If you want points or it will help you sleep at night than by all means, fire away.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by ellinj
I once encountered a similar situation at Dulles on a united flight. They were boarding Charleston, WV and Charleston, SC from the same gate, which then split out to the tarmac where you would walk to either plane. Made for some interesting confusion since both planes were going to "Charleston"
Ha! I had exactly the same thing on one trip from IAD. I thought it was mad to assign the gates that way.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The passenger shouldn't be called "clueless". We all deal with people that aren't experienced flyers each time we travel. The ONLY party to blame here is the airline. I'm curious as to how it was discovered she was on the plane. I'm guessing the PAX made an FA aware?
Totally disagree.

Obviously the gate agent is the failsafe/gatekeeper of the flight. But you'd have to be pretty clueless and imperceptive to not notice. There's a chance the person presented a passport and somehow the GA missed the BP, that happens, it shouldn't but that's why the counts are done, so someone probably fudged their count or something too cuz it would have to match between the GA & FA.

But how do you NEVER read the signs at the gate, or hear an announcement, or notice someone else's BP, or catch a high amount of spanish being spoken at the gate, or board the plane and don't hear "welcome aboard flight _____ to SAL". There's gotta be 10 times before and after boarding where the passenger should've caught this, unless of course they didn't want to catch it.
nismo240ssx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.