Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No changes allowed even when trying to pay AA for it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No changes allowed even when trying to pay AA for it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Yes T&C can be found if you click the appropriate tab and in some cases read through pages of small type When I purchase a ticket on aa.com, at the very end there is a box which must be clicked noting that you agree to all the rules and conditions--I wonder how many pax DO read the rules.
After purchasing you can see the flt conditions by going to the refund page--but not actually requesting a refund..
Are those terms translated into Japanese, as the OP used the Japanese site?
If not, that seems grounds for a refund (or lawsuit in American terms)

I see nomiiiii looked it up. Was that in English or Japanese?
I think the language of the country must take precedence if there are any differences (I've seen this on CX, when they say English overrules Chinese), and for Japan that would be Japanese by default.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
If it was sold from the Japanese site, in Yen, perhaps its held to some other set of restrictions than we are accustomed in the USA?
Bingo. More knowledgeable AAgents have called these “Japan web-only discount fares” or somesuch. They are only available from the Japanese POS in yen, in my experience are typically 30-50% cheaper than the next cheapest options on other airlines, and allow NO changes. My guess is AA sells them as an attempt to take market share specifically from the Japanese passenger market.

I have saved thousands with these fares in the past, and as they are not BE have been able to upgrade them and enjoy miles earning as I would with any discount Y ticket. However, buyer beware with regards to the inflexibility.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Except its not that simple to see the fare rules which are typically just summarized and not put in full. I did a sample search on aa.co.jp for LAX to Tokyo, and the most restrictive V fare firstly does not show the fare conditions unless you click through to a different tab/page, and under there it says:
  • Changes*: Not applicable (See reissue conditions)
  • Reissue: Allowed with restrictions
  • Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 27800 JPY / 27800 JPY (at today exchange rates 27800 JPY / 27800 JPY)
  • New travel dates must be prior to: Friday, 12. July 2019
  • Maximum Reissue penalty fee for entire ticket: 27800 JPY
Now how am I supposed to interpret that? Are changes allowed or not? Changes are not allowed but reissue is? What does that even mean? And yes, aa.co.jp has this weird "Changes not applicable but reissue with penalty" language which doesn't exist on aa.com

And if the tickets are bought on OTAs, I've often found that full fare conditions are never available till you actually buy the ticket, only the basic high level summary saying "penalties for change/cancel".
At a point in the purchase cycle, you are presented with a clickable link that says “Detailed fare rules”. Though some belittle those of us who actually take the time to look over those, I do, and I copy or print them to a PDF. Because I need to know what I’m actually purchasing, because I want to know what I might have to claim from my annual travel Insurance cancellation and interruption policy, and because I occasionally need to push back on an agent who misinterprets my fare rules. And because non-US sites can indeed sell nonchangeable fares.

I’m not blaming anyone, I’m merely saying what I do, given I’ve been flying seven decades and am a defensive flyer. There are some kinds of surprises I don’t like.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
At a point in the purchase cycle, you are presented with a clickable link that says “Detailed fare rules”. Though some belittle those of us who actually take the time to look over those, I do, and I copy or print them to a PDF.
I think this is very useful advice, and I do the same thing with AA because I know that this is one way in which they are unreasonable (and unusually unreasonable even for the airline industry, I think). But I also think it's unreasonable of airlines to expect consumers to do so. It's totally reasonable for a consumer to expect a) clear disclosure of unusually-restrictive conditions and b) the ability to find the rules associated with a ticket after purchase.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
I think this is very useful advice, and I do the same thing with AA because I know that this is one way in which they are unreasonable (and unusually unreasonable even for the airline industry, I think). But I also think it's unreasonable of airlines to expect consumers to do so. It's totally reasonable for a consumer to expect a) clear disclosure of unusually-restrictive conditions and b) the ability to find the rules associated with a ticket after purchase.
Agree wholeheartedly. But it is what it is, not what I want it to be, and AA often seems tone deaf to consumers. The valid complaint about AA and its lack of transparency in these issues has been made by many over the years, but AA hasn’t made significant changes in this regard.
oopsz, IAHtraveler and ashill like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by translatejapan
This was not a cheap ticket, either.

Originally Posted by translatejapan
It's a V fare, purchased in Japan, cost about $1,370 round trip Tokyo to New York.
Sorry to hear about you frustrated situation. However, I fly several times a year between the U.S. East Coast and Japan. Past 3 - 4 years fare you paid is about the cheapest fare you can find on the U.S. East Coast and Japan on any airlines, not just AA. I often saw ticket purchase of less than a month before the travel or non-low season travel where cheapest fare can be around $2,000.

I do understand that $1,370 is no cheap amount, even for me. But for the U.S. East Coast to Japan travel $1,370 can be at cheapest end and often it is most restricted fare. Sounds like you do travel between the U.S. and Japan frequently. I suggest go to air booking site, such as Travelocity, and get some good sense of cheapest air fare between the U.S. and Japan on any airlines. Then when you buy a ticket to Japan you will have some sense that you are likely buying cheapest fare available which comes with most restricted condition.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle

Sorry to hear about you frustrated situation. However, I fly several times a year between the U.S. East Coast and Japan. Past 3 - 4 years fare you paid is about the cheapest fare you can find on the U.S. East Coast and Japan on any airlines, not just AA. I often saw ticket purchase of less than a month before the travel or non-low season travel where cheapest fare can be around $2,000.

I do understand that $1,370 is no cheap amount, even for me. But for the U.S. East Coast to Japan travel $1,370 can be at cheapest end and often it is most restricted fare. Sounds like you do travel between the U.S. and Japan frequently. I suggest go to air booking site, such as Travelocity, and get some good sense of cheapest air fare between the U.S. and Japan on any airlines. Then when you buy a ticket to Japan you will have some sense that you are likely buying cheapest fare available which comes with most restricted condition.
$1370 isn't a cheap fare for Japan. It used to be pricier than the rest of Asia but it is now about the same.

I did a search on the Japanese version of the Japanese AA page and the results were exactly the same. How long ago was this "Japan-only" fare people speak of?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ashill
As @nomiiiii said nicely, I think that this kind of response is very unhelpful.
So what kind of response would be helpful in your opinion? Encouraging the OP to waste time and money fighting it? Writing long screeds about how the world should be different than it is? Empty expressions of sympathy?

Seems to me that "lesson learned, here's how you avoid this next time" is by far the most useful and actionable advice that can be offered in situations like these.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
$1370 isn't a cheap fare for Japan. It used to be pricier than the rest of Asia but it is now about the same.

I did a search on the Japanese version of the Japanese AA page and the results were exactly the same. How long ago was this "Japan-only" fare people speak of?
I started seeing r/t ex-Japan fares for under $1000 on the Japanese website beginning early 2017, and bought and flew several up to January this year. It's possible that whatever pricing campaign was going on then has now ended, as I also did not notice any such special fares when I priced a trip for fall a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.

ALSO FARE RULES ARE WRITTEN IN SUCH AN OPAQUE ...)
yesssss. Exactly. I have tried making sense of AAs ticket rules and its complete jibberish unless one is well versed in AAs special stink of non-communication. And, even then, AA writes stuff wrong [thinking of how they misstate bag fee rules on code share flights]. I'd be surprised too if I bought a discount main cabin fare and its rules were somehow extra special deep in some fine print.
oopsz likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mcrw00

Bingo. More knowledgeable AAgents have called these “Japan web-only discount fares” or somesuch. They are only available from the Japanese POS in yen, in my experience are typically 30-50% cheaper than the next cheapest options on other airlines, and allow NO changes. My guess is AA sells them as an attempt to take market share specifically from the Japanese passenger market.

I have saved thousands with these fares in the past, and as they are not BE have been able to upgrade them and enjoy miles earning as I would with any discount Y ticket. However, buyer beware with regards to the inflexibility.
Good information but what a shame. I get it, from a liability standpoint AA is protected because they display a small link on the last page (after passenger information is entered) to the fare rules, but I am sympathetic to OP because I wouldn't expect policies of a US-based company to vary based on the point of sale. I could see if I was buying from JAL or BA to be subject to their change/cancel policies, but wouldn't expect AA to vary by region. I guess that's naive. It only came to me when I was trying to figure out why OP was told no changes.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by rjw242
So what kind of response would be helpful in your opinion? Encouraging the OP to waste time and money fighting it? Writing long screeds about how the world should be different than it is? Empty expressions of sympathy?
Educating the OP like Dave Noble did is the most helpful response. My sympathy is genuine and while 'empty expressions' aren't needed, neither is posting in a thread.

The comment about "did you read the T&C?" however is snide and unhelpful - it's akin to someone going on an Apple forum and saying "Did you read all 6800 words of the iTunes T&C?" when someone is having trouble with an app or their iOS. We're supposed to be a community that exists to assist each other. Plus, as I've commented on in another thread, the CoC is not offered up until the very end of the purchase (after all information has been entered), and it's hard or impossible to find a copy once it's purchased, so you can't even go back and review it later if you don't print it.

But now I've ventured into OMNI, I feel.
lemfc and ashill like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:47 pm

If it was sold from the Japanese site, in Yen, perhaps its held to some other set of restrictions than we are accustomed in the USA?
Good information but what a shame. I get it, from a liability standpoint AA is protected because they display a small link on the last page (after passenger information is entered) to the fare rules, but I am sympathetic to OP because I wouldn't expect policies of a US-based company to vary based on the point of sale. I could see if I was buying from JAL or BA to be subject to their change/cancel policies, but wouldn't expect AA to vary by region. I guess that's naive. It only came to me when I was trying to figure out why OP was told no changes.
It’s unexpected and tricky based on Japan market standards, too. To my knowledge none of the Japanese carriers sell tickets like this (up to ~500 USD equivalent per change, yes, but simply unchangeable, no), and if they ever did, they would be putting warning signs all over the confirmation pages online a la basic economy tickets in the US. If you don’t bother to open the full fare rules at time of purchase, it’s very easy to buy these tix totally unaware of the restrictions. I was almost in the same unfortunate boat as OP twice before as I mentioned above, and thanks to the experience now make a habit of opening, copying, and saving in a text document the full fare rules of any ticket I buy on AA.

It’s too bad that my consumer relationship with a company I spend so much money and time on has to be as such, but that’s the world we live in I guess...
IAHtraveler and Gig103 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: LH HON
Don't worry OP. I've had issues trying to change a "H" fared ticket ex Japan, with AA claiming that no changes are permitted because the POS was Japan
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Really?
Seems very likely. Unless the person forced the site into another region, the default will be the Japan site - the OP confirmed it was purchased in Japan and was a r/t from Tokyo to New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.