Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

777 / 772 Up Front is a Very Noisy Plane...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it was an AA flight so here goes...

Just got off a 777 (up front) and a 737 (up front) and the difference in the noise level was night and day. I was sitting in the middle seats with my wife (1-2-1) and we could hardly hear each other when we tried to talk. Granted we were separated by about 3 ft or so but it was very noticeable how noisy it was. On the other hand the 737, was very quite in comparison.
Is this typical of the 777? I couldn't tell if it was loud "fan / air blowers", the engines or what, but it was really loud.
Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
Not sure if this is the right place for this but it was an AA flight so here goes...

Just got off a 777 (up front) and a 737 (up front) and the difference in the noise level was night and day. I was sitting in the middle seats with my wife (1-2-1) and we could hardly hear each other when we tried to talk. Granted we were separated by about 3 ft or so but it was very noticeable how noisy it was. On the other hand the 737, was very quite in comparison.
Is this typical of the 777? I couldn't tell if it was loud "fan / air blowers", the engines or what, but it was really loud.
Thanks
Were you in the forward mini J cabin on the 777-300er? Rows 3 and 4? There's an air-handler in that section of the plane, which some passengers find to be noisy.
MorganB, E55 and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by jcatman
Were you in the forward mini J cabin on the 777-300er? Rows 3 and 4? There's an air-handler in that section of the plane, which some passengers find to be noisy.
I believe it was the 777-200 if that matters but I was in 2D. So that was it. I can attest to the fact that it was VERY noisy.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Here's a tip, if you ask the flight attendant's nicely, they can ask the pilots to turn off the engines. No more noise!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I sat in the mini-cabin on the 777-300 and found it very loud also. It was clearly the AC and it was unpleasant for the entire flight. I've avoided that mini-cabin ever since.
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, the 777 has much larger engines
But... not as big as the 777X which is wider than the fuselage of the 737
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/worlds...737s-fuselage/
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mvoight
Well, the 777 has much larger engines
But... not as big as the 777X which is wider than the fuselage of the 737
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/worlds...737s-fuselage/
even the GE-90s are wider than the 737 fuselage, don’t need a 777x for that.

Cheers,
TG
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:11 am

The 777 is certainly noisy in the back, but I've never had any issues at the front. However when you've been flying a few 787s and A380s and come back to a 777, the increase in noise is very noticeable.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
AA's 772s are all between 12-19 years old. They do tend to be a little louder in the cabin, but I don't notice it as much with the Bose NC headphones on.

It's possible you were on a newer 737 after that flight... and some of them are pretty quiet at cruise.

I just flew the E175 for the first time in F last week, and was very impressed with how quiet it is.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I'll try to avoid crackling the chip bags in the future.

For those that miss the nosier 777 cabins after traveling newer composite aircraft, this excellent white noise video should do the trick:

Although I do take issue with the title in that the first class cabin on a wide body isn't very often found behind the wing.
TEDisgone likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:57 pm

It is not the age nor the engines - it is the ridiculous a/c system;
In this cabin walk-around video you can hear the extreme noice from A/C. It is a parked aircraft! No engine sound, no movement noise from outside just the A/C system. Unbelievable. Only in the front section before doors 2 it seems to be a bit more silent and in the middle of the of Economy cabin. I haved noticed this over and over on my flights with 777Ws and even asked cabin crew if it is only me feeling disturbed. Nobody really admits the problem and hundreds of these planes are sold. Typical airline industry problem. I love the 777 for many aspects but the noise is sometimes unbearable if you want to sleep.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
To each their own - I'd rather have the white noise built in, preferably loud enough to drown out the snorers. I find it much harder to sleep on the too-quiet A380.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Donegal
It is not the age nor the engines - it is the ridiculous a/c system;
In this cabin walk-around video you can hear the extreme noice from A/C. It is a parked aircraft! No engine sound, no movement noise from outside just the A/C system. Unbelievable. Only in the front section before doors 2 it seems to be a bit more silent and in the middle of the of Economy cabin. I haved noticed this over and over on my flights with 777Ws and even asked cabin crew if it is only me feeling disturbed. Nobody really admits the problem and hundreds of these planes are sold. Typical airline industry problem. I love the 777 for many aspects but the noise is sometimes unbearable if you want to sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ta0Gekox_Y

True.. I call it white noise indeed. I've come to accept it on my domestic legs I've taken on this AC I tend to select bulk head seats as I find the forward cabin isn't utilized for staging by FA or congregating by passengers.

Well, that was until a recent flight I had (PHL-SFO). The FA were way too chatting in the forward cabin with staging stuff and milling around. A few time I found it much more easily possible for me to go to the rear rest rooms from my row 1 seat than to wade through the pool of people in the forward galley.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Here's a tip, if you ask the flight attendant's nicely, they can ask the pilots to turn off the engines. No more noise!
At least it wasn't the back of the Y cabin of an MD80
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by mvoight
At least it wasn't the back of the Y cabin of an MD80
I find having a normal conversation difficult. Try talking over a 757 engine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.