FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Agent and PHL Passenger Get Into Major Tussle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1917429-aa-agent-phl-passenger-get-into-major-tussle.html)

Uncle Nonny Jul 2, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sleeper.agent (Post 29930178)

if he lunged at you should you call airport security? given he tried to assault you?

I was stunned and I was exhausted (Three TPACs coupled with the physical aspect of the work I performed the previous 7 days). I would, obviously, be more prepared if this were to happen to me again. I was in an area where it seems there would be plenty of law enforcement. The agent had a heavy home field advantage here. I had assumed he was just trying to inconvenience me by making me re-check instead of dropping my bags off at the transfer belt. I wasn't aware my ticket had been canceled until I went to the check in counter landslide. I then asked for a manager. After buying a ticket on my original flight, I asked to speak to someone ranked higher. I waited but had to catch my flight as I wanted to get home.

traveler18 Jul 2, 2018 5:37 pm

If the agent indeed cancelled the passenger's tickets out of spite or self issued punishment, the agent should be terminated. The story implies that a manager and colleague witnessed the circumstances.
I wished the US would eventually issue a bill of rights similar to Europe - Airlines do whatever they want most of the time. A hefty fine and compensation should apply to AA for delaying a passenger in circumstances like the ones described.
Airlines and some of their staff are using the pretext of security to vent and punish, when it has nothing to do with security.
While some believe that a court action - in some states, even in small claims court, you get some discovery - you can demand them produce this employee record, subpoena their employee witnesses - any airport surveillance tape of the incident, etc.

I would like to be in the jury and see the AA employee grab the phone and throw it to the floor - particularly when discussing punitive damages.

Usually market forces would take care of this, but with consolidation there is limited competition.

MSPeconomist Jul 2, 2018 7:35 pm

IMO it should be a criminal offense for any airline or airport employee to claim that a customer service issue is a matter of security.

CHOPCHOP767 Jul 2, 2018 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 29927366)
Because grabbing a customer's phone and smashing it/throwing it at them doesn't come as a surprise to PHL regulars, given the observed/experienced behavior of US/AA PHL employees over many years.

I.e It gets a bad rap because it's very bad.

Still seems like both parties contributed to the cell phone turned projectile here, but...

I've watched this thread to see if anyone had creative solutions for "standing your ground" with regard to PHL GAs or just dealing with PHL GAs in general. Seeing none (aside from prostrating yourself and begging to be allowed on a plane or to check in), the consensus seems to be avoid PHL wherever possible. My own experiences lead me to that conclusion as well.

Usually when faced with a poor customer experience, the first resort would be to move on and try the GAs in the AC. Even the PHL AC GAs tend to be worthless while IME at other hubs like JFK, DFW, DCA, and even ORD, and especially at the non-hubs like BOS, TPA, GSO, and SNA, the GAs tend to go above and beyond.

Superguy Jul 3, 2018 10:22 am

Going for great! :rolleyes: :D

sleeper.agent Jul 3, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29931235)
IMO it should be a criminal offense for any airline or airport employee to claim that a customer service issue is a matter of security.

It probably is. I’m sure the lawyers would find a way to make something stick.

aoumd Jul 3, 2018 5:35 pm

So have there been any updates? TPG hasn't posted any, but how about other sources?

fttc Jul 8, 2018 11:56 am

That's the ridiculous part of this kind of reporting. It's useless without the updates. And TPG posts a lot of sensationalized incomplete clickbait.

ibrandsguest Jul 8, 2018 6:27 pm

Shouldn't the passenger have just walked away, checked in at a kiosk and gate-checked the bags? If the name would have caused an issue with going through security, the passenger should have just booked a refundable ticket for a later flight and used that to get through security.

My advice to my family is: if ever you don't get exactly what you're looking for from a human at an airport, say thank you, walk away and try someone else. (And ask on Flyertalk if time allows!)

I hope that the passenger goes after the ticket agent for assault and battery, though.