FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Agent and PHL Passenger Get Into Major Tussle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1917429-aa-agent-phl-passenger-get-into-major-tussle.html)

btonkid12345 Jul 1, 2018 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 29927600)
She absolutely was. My point was it wasn't impossible. The main point of the extended conversation was that I had been given the previous flight upon traversing the same routing the week prior. They even delivered my bag to my home when it didn't make it. It took far too long for them to eventually state that it was against policy (even setting precedent the week before). If they had said that initially then the results would've been different, I'm sure.

Having someone rip off your bag tags presents a new set of problems.

Yes, they were useless online. Yet a majority of responders on this site say to reach out on Twitter, that the response is usually positive.

BYW, while you feel you seem to have all the right answers, I'm baffled that you , the expert, has no idea that your flight information and name are on your bag tags.

If the female passenger was originally ticketed that way, and you needed a change - this could have required a ticket reissue for you, which would be subject to time restrictions that she wouldn't be subject to because she was flying her flights as already/originally ticketed.

Reaching out via Twitter is different than the online comment/complaint form.

I never said I was an expert. I was just trying to understand and share my knowledge with the community. I haven't checked a bag on AA in years so I didn't want to be presumptive and apply DL principles to AA, regarding the details of what's on the bag tag. But if any agent rips off tags and its not due to their error with the tags, it is being escalated on the spot, either with management or law enforcement. Leaving and going outside (where SkyCaps know nothing about ticketing) wouldn't help.

Anecdote: I recently had a DL Manager do something similar with bag tags, but it didn't affect my ticket as I had completed travel; he didn't explain and when I asked why he stated "because you are speaking to me." That made no sense. He didn't resolve my problem and was rude. Thus, I asked for and was given the Station Manager's phone number; 5 minutes later he was on the floor talking to me, and a few minutes after he emailed me a $200 voucher - that I didn't request - as an apology and a thank you for bringing the challenges to his attention in a professional and polite manner.

Segments Jul 1, 2018 11:53 pm

$275 is an odd amount for a change fee and airlines are loathe to change ticketed pax names.

$275 is a reasonable walk up fee for a one way non stop flight PHL to BOS. Was the pax self reported “change fee” actually the cost of a new ticket? That would also explain why security wasn’t called regarding fraud ...pax bought a new flight on the spot after being told he couldn’t sub pax just because they had the same first name. Attempted scam foiled.

IADCAflyer Jul 2, 2018 4:13 am

First, very, very bad move to grab a phone out of someone's hand - likely assault and battery for snatching someone's phone from the person's hand an destruction of property. Two simple misdemeanors.

That said.....the fact that two passengers were being p**sy over their tickets did not help much. That an entirely different name than the names of the two ticketed passengers appeared on a ticket would have raised a red flag to most front counter agents. If the agent had a a cooler head, he would have let the photo be taken and then taken it up with the station manager - noting that a clear ticket discrepancy existed and that the passengers were attempting to pull a fast one.

As to a $275 charge, it was probably a $150 ticket change fee and the differential between the ticketed fare and what was basically a walk up fare....

Dr. HFH Jul 2, 2018 5:31 am

I'm suspicious when I hear that an agent five kiosks away could hear what the passenger was saying. I don't see how that could have happened unless passenger was shouting.

Airline agent comes across the counter at me and hits the phone out of my hand? 911. "Please send an officer to help me. I've just been assaulted."

JamesKidd Jul 2, 2018 6:04 am

This would be a good test of the cloud technology (if enabled by the user). Worth a check, if there was enough time between the passenger taking a picture and the agent lunging over the counter and throw the phone, if the picture was backed up to the cloud. If the phone only cracked, the underlying processes could still be working and the picture may have backed up to the cloud. Worth a shot - can the resident TPG blogger check this as well

RAAng Jul 2, 2018 6:09 am

Originally Posted by bobnchi (Post 29926779)
So true. When they know it's on record and their a-- could be on the line, anyone in the same position will usually get their adrenaline going..

Originally Posted by clbish (Post 29926735)
Seems the "taking of a picture" is causing the agent to go insane. Maybe just get the name off the name tag, or snap the picture without them knowing. Don't announce it.

There are definitely better ways of handling things, but it doesn't change the fact that customer-facing employees should not be going insane. Training helps. Plus, every person is not made to face the public, who can be EXTREMELY provocative. There should be a built in way for staff who are about to lose it to pass a customer off to another staff with a minimum of disruption. It beats this sort of bad PR and would probably help retention.

RAAng Jul 2, 2018 6:33 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 29927397)
Well I can agree with you in that sense. While I don't mainly connect through PHL, I do find myself going through there from time to time. When dealing with CS agents/gate agents at PHL, I either don't try to interact with them at all or if I have to, I make it short and all business, and if I don't get a satisfactory result I end the conversation and either wait until I'm at the next airport (for me CLT) or on the phone.

This, for sure. PHL is my home airport, so what goes on there is the norm to me. Yes, they will bark at you, point out every move they think you've made incorrectly in a rude way, "I didn't tell you to take your shoes off!!!" and generally demonstrate power at every turn. Interact as little as possible, be unfailingly polite even if they aren't, don't engage about their attitude and keep yours completely in check and you will make it through fine.

bchandler02 Jul 2, 2018 6:45 am

Originally Posted by RAAng (Post 29928606)
This, for sure. PHL is my home airport, so what goes on there is the norm to me. Yes, they will bark at you, point out every move they think you've made incorrectly in a rude way, "I didn't tell you to take your shoes off!!!" and generally demonstrate power at every turn. Interact as little as possible, be unfailingly polite even if they aren't, don't engage about their attitude and keep yours completely in check and you will make it through fine.

Nope, sorry. Not going to roll over for someone being a jerk. You get the same amount of respect you show me.

btonkid12345 Jul 2, 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 29927878)
$275 is an odd amount for a change fee and airlines are loathe to change ticketed pax names.

$275 is a reasonable walk up fee for a one way non stop flight PHL to BOS. Was the pax self reported “change fee” actually the cost of a new ticket? That would also explain why security wasn’t called regarding fraud ...pax bought a new flight on the spot after being told he couldn’t sub pax just because they had the same first name. Attempted scam foiled.

Probably $200 change fee and $75 SDFC fee

Why would security be called regarding fraud? If this was the first time the pax attempted this, it could either be denied or allowed by AA.

The only time worth calling Corp Security would be if its a pattern and the customer has been warned. But once? And calling it fraud? Psh.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29928457)
I'm suspicious when I hear that an agent five kiosks away could hear what the passenger was saying. I don't see how that could have happened unless passenger was shouting.

Airline agent comes across the counter at me and hits the phone out of my hand? 911. "Please send an officer to help me. I've just been assaulted."

Exactly! Passengers need to be aware too. This is what I was implying by questioning how an AAgent so far away could hear him. And it could be faster to just find an airport police officer then to call 911 - especially if you aren't from that area and aren't sure which tower your 911 call could be connecting to (it might not be the zone/police precinct assigned to the airport, which can respond the fastest)

CHOPCHOP767 Jul 2, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by RAAng (Post 29928606)

Wow, they've really beaten you into submission LOL

Though, avoiding PHL altogether seems to be the better option... If you have to connect with AA, CLT and DCA are a complete 180 from the PHL cess pool IME.

AANYC1981 Jul 2, 2018 10:38 am

And to think this is AA’s “crown jewel” for TATL ops.

AA100k Jul 2, 2018 12:51 pm

I have been behind “this guy” at many check in counters over the years, to the point where I have almost missed my flight. He shows up a bit late with a ticket with the wrong name in it (or some other big problem) and expects it to be resolved for free and without issue and quickly. Regardless of the bad actions of the GA, were it not for Kiosks and online check in many more passengers could have been negatively impacted by his actions. Thirty minutes to resolve this issue is exceedingly long, regardless of where you wish to place blame.

Uncle Nonny Jul 2, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29928457)

Your responding to two different incidents. I explained quite efficiently how I was heard from 30' away. This was the transfer counter just outside of customs at DFW, not the normal public check in. I was the only PAX there and there were three agents manning the two contiguous counters I was at. 8' away there are two more contagious counter. 8' from there are two more. If you add it up, it's really only 16' feet away, I suppose. You've seen the contiguous counters that most domestic airports have, right? As for the phone, that's relevant to the OP. I merely had my tags ripped off of my bags after the agent leaped over the scale at me.

sleeper.agent Jul 2, 2018 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 29930086)
Your responding to two different incidents. I explained quite efficiently how I was heard from 30' away. This was the transfer counter just outside of customs at DFW, not the normal public check in. I was the only PAX there and there were three agents manning the two contiguous counters I was at. 8' away there are two more contagious counter. 8' from there are two more. If you add it up, it's really only 16' feet away, I suppose. You've seen the contiguous counters that most domestic airports have, right? As for the phone, that's relevant to the OP. I merely had my tags ripped off of my bags after the agent leaped over the scale at me.

if he lunged at you should you call airport security? given he tried to assault you?

Wingtipflyer1 Jul 2, 2018 1:58 pm

Beater (planes out of PHL) & Battery (by ticket agents). Only from Philly the city of brotherly love!