Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate agent refused 3 year old with Paid 1st / Business ticket.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent refused 3 year old with Paid 1st / Business ticket.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:12 am

Not that this is an excuse for the GA's behavior, but NRSA boarding passes on AA do not actually have that written anywhere that I can see (I pulled out a few of my old ones to check).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:49 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

There is a separate issue some of us deal with when flying on paid F and standby for an earlier flight. Some GA's upgrade people on the flight first, and then seat the paid F standby folks in coach and some do it the other way around. I suspect that's the real issue. When I've been seated in coach on a standby with a paid F ticket, a refund appears on my credit card very quickly -- last time it was before I landed.

Keep your issue focused and simple.
The upgrade is always paid (regardless of the way it was paid for) just as your paid F. The reason their upgrades are processed before your standbys is that it is their flight not yours. Really simple.
You need to get off - I must have it because I paid - they paid for it too (whether by fidelity or otherwise).
But you are correct - the seats were stolen from you and you were severally inconvenienced and pushed around.
And all advice you get is: be nice, keep your hat in hand and beg the airline for mercy. And another set of advice tries to rationalize against you as if it was normal to screw people like that. I guess you are lucky that you still have your teeth and bones unbroken. The terrorists are all local.
There is something very wrong with this picture.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by m44
the upgrade is always paid (regardless of the way it was paid for) just as your paid f. The reason their upgrades are processed before your standbys is that it is their flight not yours. Really simple.
You need to get off - i must have it because i paid - they paid for it too (whether by fidelity or otherwise).
But you are correct - the seats were stolen from you and you were severally inconvenienced and pushed around.
And all advice you get is: Be nice, keep your hat in hand and beg the airline for mercy. And another set of advice tries to rationalize against you as if it was normal to screw people like that. I guess you are lucky that you still have your teeth and bones unbroken. The terrorists are all local.
There is something very wrong with this picture.
r e g u l a t i o n
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Well given this situation, I worry about my first flight with my infant. Are children flying as a lap child allowed in first class? My child will be 4 months old at the time. I wont be buying FC tickets for this trip, but will likely be upgraded, so I don't want to run into a problem at the gate. I especially do not want to resort to a DYKWIA moment! So if the policy restricts this, I will ensure we do not get put on the upgrade list.

Note: 1st leg: E175, 2nd leg: S80, 3rd leg: Either 738 or A32B - If any of these planes specifically will cause a problem with a lap child in FC, would appreciate the heads up from anyone who knows.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by truthknown
Well given this situation, I worry about my first flight with my infant. Are children flying as a lap child allowed in first class? My child will be 4 months old at the time. I wont be buying FC tickets for this trip, but will likely be upgraded, so I don't want to run into a problem at the gate. I especially do not want to resort to a DYKWIA moment! So if the policy restricts this, I will ensure we do not get put on the upgrade list.

Note: 1st leg: E175, 2nd leg: S80, 3rd leg: Either 738 or A32B - If any of these planes specifically will cause a problem with a lap child in FC, would appreciate the heads up from anyone who knows.

Thanks!
If memory serves correctly on the E175 in the F cabin D/F seats will have the third mask. In Y both sides have it but you may want to check with AA to confirm. Better to to be safe than run into a gate situation where you're asked to move for safety reasons!

A very long time ago I understood that LUS Republic ERJ 170/175 planes stored the third mask in even-numbered rows so not every row had them.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by truthknown

Thanks!
You should be fine. I've traveled with my kids in F for many years now without any issues - lap children or in the seat.

The gate agent in this particular case was inventing policies that do not exist to cut corners and make their job of getting the plane out at "D0" easier.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
What is the collective wisdom of the group if this scenario happened to them.

Refuse to get on plane, and start recording?

Demand a high level supervisor be called?

I find it horrendous when employees make up their own rules
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:13 am
C46

Asking for the AA employee number is always a good start.
Every gate agent, who is either AA-employed or an authorized representative (contractors), has his own #.

I would definitely try to get their Lead Agent involved and try to take as many notes, as possible.
It is possible, for the agents, to make remarks in the PNR (5H-), which might be used for legal purposes.

Be careful, when you record people without their consent.
In Europe e.g., that's against the law and they might take you off the flight real quick, if you don't comply with the request to delete the footage.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Snail mail to the CEO. It will get intercepted and routed to someone with both brains and authority.
Have any friends whose first name is "Attorney"? Have him/her write a letter on his/her letterhead.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope the OP got her name and files a formal complaint.

Nothing short of termination is acceptable
I'm with you on the outrage, but jumping to the demand for termination is irresponsible and not going to get the OP made whole. There is a whole side of this story we havent heard.
ijgordon and CPRich like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by alhcfp
What is the collective wisdom of the group if this scenario happened to them.

Refuse to get on plane, and start recording?

Demand a high level supervisor be called?

I find it horrendous when employees make up their own rules
I definitely wouldn't board. Ask for the Station Manager or a direct report (you can usually find their names on linked in with a quick Google search)

Definitely record if the agent is making things up or saying things that may be unbelievable in the future, or if their answers constantly change (who knows what they note in your PNR)

Originally Posted by C46
Be careful, when you record people without their consent.
In Europe e.g., that's against the law and they might take you off the flight real quick, if you don't comply with the request to delete the footage.
Talk about being sheeple. I thought Europe was more pro-consumer and rights that the US (obviously differences between each country and maybe even some localities)

In the US there is no expectation of privacy in a place accessible by the public. Even in two party notification states, simply stating that you are recording can be enough.

Generally you cannot record security procedures but interactions with a gate agent are totally fine. And a gate agent cannot tell force you to delete the footage or instruct you to do so; if they did and removed me from a flight, IDB would be due.

If law enforcement is involved, you should follow their lawful orders. You should hear of all the cases where law enforcement is retrained or disciplined because they ask people to stop recording (generally; not in airports specifically) and this has been problematic for them because such a request generally isn't supported by any law.
IndyHoosier and DCP2016 like this.

Last edited by btonkid12345; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chimoe125
Hello all, 1st time i had experienced this issue and need some guidance.

Me, my wife and son were traveling for a weekend vacation to Mexico. We had 3 paid Round trip Business/First tickets (I and D fares). My son, who is just about 3yrs, is required to purchase his own seat and cannot sit on our lap, so he had his own ticket. Our Non stop flight to Mexico and our return flight which connected to DFW all of us were in First/Business class, and had no issues with my son sitting in his 1st class seat which we paid for.

The issue began with our Flight from DFW to ORD, with the gate agent who was processing our tickets (they were standby due to earlier flight being canceled). There were ample F class seats available to seat all of us in the cabin we paid for. When I gave the agent our passports, he said our son needed to be 4yrs of age or older to be admitted into 1st class. I tried to question this, but I didn't' want to get into an argument but both agents thought due to the plane (A321) that this is the requirement. I looked and could not find this rule anywhere. Only thing I found is 2yrs of age is required to have their own tix.

What happened was the agents ripped up my wife and sons F ticket and bumped them down into coach, and gave free upgrades to our seats to other passengers to get 2 Coach seats open for us. I watched this whole process happen before me. It was very frustrating.

It was midnight, there were over 30 people on standby so I wasn't going to hold things up, we just wanted to get on the flight to get home.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone heard of this 4yr of age or older to sit in F class on a A321?
2. Since we were denied boarding for our paid cabin, how do we get the 2 tickets for my wife and son credited for the difference between First and Coach?

I have yet to reach out to AA but will soon.
I would contact Doug Parker and demand that he do something for you. Demand compensation and that all gate agents be made aware of the correct policy.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:56 pm
J S

Originally Posted by chuck1
I have never heard of such a rule. The only thing I have heard of no more than 1 lap infant per row but that has nothing to do with this.
This relates to having enough oxygen masks in case of depressurization. There is usually 1 extra, but not two.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
J S

I have flown with my children in F and J many times and never heard this. We even bought extra seats for our son when he was well under 2 and never had the issue described.
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by J S
This relates to having enough oxygen masks in case of depressurization. There is usually 1 extra, but not two.
And often only on one side of thre aircraft, alternate rows, or some subset. But I agree, that doesn't seem to be a cause in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.