FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Citi AAdvantage Card... how long for card reset to earn bonus miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1914198-citi-aadvantage-card-how-long-card-reset-earn-bonus-miles.html)

Toller Jun 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Citi AAdvantage Card... how long for card reset to earn bonus miles?

I had a card that I cancelled in June 2016.
Today I got an offer of a new card with 65,000 miles. That sounds pretty good, however a couple years ago something similar happened with United and they refused to give me mileage (after I charged the required amount) saying I had gotten another award too recently.

Presumably Citi has a similar requirement, but I am unable to find out what it is. Any idea?

Thanks

apeortdz Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

I believe it is 24 months if so, you are right on the cusp.

BarrenLucidity Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Citi has a 24 month reset period but it starts from the time it was approved not when it was cancelled.

Toller Jun 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I got the Citi card in 8/15, so I ought to be good. Thanks.

guv1976 Jun 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity (Post 29864040)
Citi has a 24 month reset period but it starts from the time it was approved not when it was cancelled.

For offers that appear on the Citi or AA website, that is usually incorrect:

"Card Offer
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months."

However, if the OP received a targeted mailer with an "invitation code" via the Postal Service, those offers typically do not have the 24-month exclusion language.

There's a whole long thread in the FT/Citi forum about Citi/AA credit cards and exclusion periods.

Toller Jun 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29864344)
For offers that appear on the Citi or AA website, that is usually incorrect:

"Card Offer
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months."

However, if the OP received a targeted mailer with an "invitation code" via the Postal Service, those offers typically do not have the 24-month exclusion language.

There's a whole long thread in the FT/Citi forum about Citi/AA credit cards and exclusion periods.

The brochure says absolutely nothing about an exclusion period. I will look for the FT/Citi forum.
But even if it is 24 months from closure, I should be okay in July?

dave_261 Jun 14, 2018 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Toller (Post 29864791)
The brochure says absolutely nothing about an exclusion period. I will look for the FT/Citi forum.
But even if it is 24 months from closure, I should be okay in July?

I'd think if you received a personalized mailer with a 65,000 mile offer, and the disclaimer doesn't mention any exclusions, you should be good to go. You'd have a pretty strong case with Citi if they approved you for the card but rejected you for the miles.

shimps1 Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am

deleted