Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Card... how long for card reset to earn bonus miles?

Old Jun 13, 18, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I had a card that I cancelled in June 2016.
Today I got an offer of a new card with 65,000 miles. That sounds pretty good, however a couple years ago something similar happened with United and they refused to give me mileage (after I charged the required amount) saying I had gotten another award too recently.

Presumably Citi has a similar requirement, but I am unable to find out what it is. Any idea?

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I believe it is 24 months if so, you are right on the cusp.
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:07 pm

Citi has a 24 month reset period but it starts from the time it was approved not when it was cancelled.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

I got the Citi card in 8/15, so I ought to be good. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity View Post
Citi has a 24 month reset period but it starts from the time it was approved not when it was cancelled.
For offers that appear on the Citi or AA website, that is usually incorrect:

"Card Offer
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months."

However, if the OP received a targeted mailer with an "invitation code" via the Postal Service, those offers typically do not have the 24-month exclusion language.

There's a whole long thread in the FT/Citi forum about Citi/AA credit cards and exclusion periods.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
For offers that appear on the Citi or AA website, that is usually incorrect:

"Card Offer
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months."

However, if the OP received a targeted mailer with an "invitation code" via the Postal Service, those offers typically do not have the 24-month exclusion language.

There's a whole long thread in the FT/Citi forum about Citi/AA credit cards and exclusion periods.
The brochure says absolutely nothing about an exclusion period. I will look for the FT/Citi forum.
But even if it is 24 months from closure, I should be okay in July?
Old Jun 14, 18, 3:14 am

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
The brochure says absolutely nothing about an exclusion period. I will look for the FT/Citi forum.
But even if it is 24 months from closure, I should be okay in July?
I'd think if you received a personalized mailer with a 65,000 mile offer, and the disclaimer doesn't mention any exclusions, you should be good to go. You'd have a pretty strong case with Citi if they approved you for the card but rejected you for the miles.
Old Jun 14, 18, 10:29 am

If you are applying via a personalized mailer, with a 9 digit code, the 24 month rule does not apply.

Outside of the mailers, the 24 month clock starts from the day the card was opened, and any status change on the card. Status change meaning closing the account, downgrading to a different version. All three of those RESET the 24 month clock.