Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price fluctuations, when to book AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Price fluctuations, when to book AA

We are looking for airfare to Beijing in late Sept. out of ORD for about two weeks. Today I checked AA and was stunned to see a hefty price drop for biz class, about $4800.00 for two. The last time I looked, about perhaps 6 weeks ago it was nearly double that. I checked this price thru there website and airline matrix so its legit.

So the big question is what gives with this? Is it a flash sale, will it stay this way? Also saw that UAL dropped from about nearly 9k for two to about 5k for two. Any ideas why?
Thank you.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines generally don't want their fares to be too predictable for understandable reasons, so I wouldn't really count on any particular pattern. There are a number of inputs for these fare decisions relating to competition and demand. From the fare rules, this does not appear to be a "flash" sale, but rather a seasonal discounted rate. Here are some details from the rules --

Fare Code -- IKX03BN1
SEASONALITY - PERMITTED 01MAY18 THROUGH 30SEP18 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
DAY/TIME - PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
MINIMUM STAY - TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Both DL and UA have similar discounted J fares out of CHI, but they run through the end of October, instead of September. There's similar J discounting going on out of BOS to PEK (fares are actually about $200 less than CHI).

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 21, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pricing is all about revenue management and optimization of revenue. Someums its crazy, but it’s about demand. And seasonal fluctuations. And chicken guts...

Was looking at SMF-DFW-KEF in J, one way (going to catch a small ship to NYC via Greenland, Labrador, etc.), and AA wants over $10,000 per person! Obviously, there are plenty of cheaper options, including throw-away ticketing. Or, in our case, miles and $11.20 fees and taxes.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you. As I read LBJ's reply I hope this means this far will hold for a while. I just may get it but first look into trip insurance in case we can't go!

Larry.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
The real question is: did you buy the tickets? They're far more likely to spike back to $9k than to drop another 50%!
JDiver, ijgordon, Clay_C. and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Thank you. As I read LBJ's reply I hope this means this far will hold for a while. I just may get it but first look into trip insurance in case we can't go!

Larry.
Buy low, sell high... if you see fares at historical lows, I’d not wait too long..
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 22, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Larry.
Never rely on a fare staying available . I like others have had experience of seeing a good fare but got distracted by doing something else - make a cup of coffee/ answer the phone / wait till tomorrow etc etc and gone back to find it has gone.

you could always look at holding the fare https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...eservation.jsp
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
The real question is: did you buy the tickets? They're far more likely to spike back to $9k than to drop another 50%!
Buy first, ask questions later!
At least you have 24 hours to cancel...
$2400 r/t pp to Asia is a very good deal. Heck, these days it's a decent deal from the east coast to Europe.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Heck, these days it's a decent deal from the east coast to Europe.
I'd kill to find a $2400 J ticket to EU. Looking in December and cheapest I've seen so far is ~$3200. (Leave on a Tues/Wed, return on the Sunday 12 days later. $2400 would be great, even if positioning flights were needed.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
but first look into trip insurance in case we can't go!
You will need "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" coverage (different to Trip Cancellation and Trip interruption coverage). A policy with Cancel for Any Reason coverage for your trip will probably be $200 per person if not more and then you will typically get back only %75 of the cost.
Just something to keep in mind.
Imakee likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I called my TA today about insurance options. I dont want this puppy to escape the pound!!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:15 pm

It’s all very variable to us, though I’m sure it makes sense to the Revenue Management Department.

In February, we booked a cruise ending in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten December 1. I immediately purchased discounted I class fares to SFO at about $1,000 per person. The schedule got rearranged, so I consulted ExpertFlyer prior to calling AA. The fares are now over $1,500 and I snatched the last two seats on an afternoon flight.

In many cases I’ve waited to book N.A. - Caribbean - C. America flights a couple of months out - but it depends on season (Summer to Iceland, Christmas or Easter in the Americas, Carnaval, etc.) predicted demand (events, spring break, major cruise terminal on arrival / departure day, etc.)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help. I did book with a 7 day fare lock for about $31.00. The prices are inching up so I jumped on it. I got UAL which is my ff plan for about $5261.00 total for two and this represents a $230.00 price increase so best to get it. It is their polaris service and the times are quite good, each leaving around noon, NS flights. Thanks for all the help gentlemen!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I checked prices today out of sheer curiosity. UAL is the same but AA has gone from about $5100.00 to $7385.00

Go figure.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Curious if anyone has any feedback on a LAX to MEL AA codeshare on Qantas. Yesterday I was looking at a J round trip for around $6500 and today it’s up to $7400. Do you expect this to be he new price going forward or is it one of those strange price fluctuations that are sometimes out there.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.