Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gold Loses 50% Discount for MCE >5 Sep 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gold Loses 50% Discount for MCE >5 Sep 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:48 am

As a now infrequent, lifetime gold traveler, I see no benefit to gold status or the branded Citicard. Wondering if I should convert to a rebate card which seems to officer more flexible ticket purchases with points. We arrived in Norway a few days ago and thank goodness we bought the MCE because the tube was packed and there were no MCE to purchase on the day of flight. (W.e wanted to point upgrade to business) All this to say is that I do not foresee many MCE being available for free last minute.

American is working not to be out-low-classed. They can be as low class as the next and they are working hard to prove it.
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by davidb4775; Jun 6, 2018 at 1:08 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Just another reason that I have lost the excitement of hitting 1MM this summer.... Thanks AA......
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I will see this as a glass half-full measure: there will be more MCE seats available at T-24 since people who are thrifty won't pay full price.
adunker and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I will see this as a glass half-full measure: there will be more MCE seats available at T-24 since people who are thrifty won't pay full price.
Let's hope so.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Gig103
Well, there goes that vestigial regret I felt for using my miles this year to PVG instead of earning EQM for my 2019 requal.
How many customers will decide it's not worth the effort (and the $3k) to reach Gold, fly whomever they want, and just buy MCE for a few bucks if they happen to book AA?
TheDudeAbides and catawba like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Until T-23,59 when the Basic Economy folks check in and are assigned those MCE middle seats because there are no other seats in MC - ...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Thanks AA for making me more and more satisfied every day that I gave up on your (un)loyalty program.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by davidb4775
As a now infrequent, lifetime gold traveler, I see no benefit to gold status or the branded Citicard. Wondering if I should convert to a rebate card which seems to officer more flexible ticket purchases with points. We arrived in Norway a few days ago and thank goodness we bought the MCE because the tube was packed and there were no MCE to purchase on the day of flight. (W.e wanted to point upgrade to business) All this to say is that I do not foresee many MCE being available for free last minute.

American is working not to be out-low-classed. They can be as low class as the next and they are working hard to prove it.
No benefit? With Gold or the branded Citicard, you get to check one piece of luggage. For most travelers that would seem to be a benefit. You also get more RDMs than a non Gold and Golds still have access to more seat options.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
To me this is AA saying "a lot more Golds were buying MCE than we thought, so we realized we're leaving money on the table."
But would Golds continue to buy MCE if it wasn't 50% off? If fewer Golds buy MCE after the discount ends, AA could actually bring in less money.
catawba likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
AA raises the hurdle for Gold last year and, then, removes benefits in the middle of the year. I guess we know how much value we bring to AA -- NOT!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
If fewer Golds buy MCE after the discount ends, AA could actually bring in less money.
Well, that depends whether or not AA believes they can sell the seats that GLDs previously bought for 50% off, to other passengers for full price.

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I think PLTs and higher will appreciate this change since less GLDs will buy MCE therefore more MCE seats will be available for free for higher tier elites. I agree that this is a loss for GLDs), but GLD on AA is still better than Silver on DL where you board with the credit card holders in the non-priority lane.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I think PLTs and higher will appreciate this change since less GLDs will buy MCE therefore more MCE seats will be available for free for higher tier elites. I agree that this is a loss for GLDs), but GLD on AA is still better than Silver on DL where you board with the credit card holders in the non-priority lane.
CC holders on AA get to board in Group 4 with Gold. With Delta, CC holders and Silver board in "Zone 1" together. It's still equal footing.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
CC holders on AA get to board in Group 4 with Gold. With Delta, CC holders and Silver board in "Zone 1" together. It's still equal footing.
CC holders board Group 5.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by miadukes
CC holders board Group 5.
I could have sworn when I had the card it was the priority lane. Oh well, my bad. I also thought MCE was Group 4 and I was wrong on that too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.