FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   PHL-SJU First at $660 r/t - good deal or not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1911283-phl-sju-first-660-r-t-good-deal-not.html)

Dalewood May 26, 2018 7:09 pm

PHL-SJU First at $660 r/t - good deal or not?

I have not flown AA since Clinton was president. For 2/19, I can get FC for about $660 r/t. Is this one worth jumping on? I am going on a cruise, so I gotta get there.

IADCAflyer May 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 29797504)
I have not flown AA since Clinton was president. For 2/19, I can get FC for about $660 r/t. Is this one worth jumping on? I am going on a cruise, so I gotta get there.

Only you can decide whats worth jumping on. I know that often AA runs an A-330 between PHL and SJU - especially in winter and spring. Its a nice ride utilizing the lie flats. And IIRC its about a 4 hour flight.

jcatman May 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 29797504)

Appears to be the year-round price.

mvoight May 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Worth jumping on compared to what?
Do you feel first class is worth the price difference?

dave_261 May 27, 2018 4:54 am

Just looked at outbound, and return on 3/1 (since OP doesn't specify a return).

Showing 3 n/s flights a today, currently scheduled to be operated by a 763, A321 and 738 (recognizing that it's 9 months out so schedules and equipment can change). All are pricing $421 in coach and $668 in business.

To specifically answer the OP's question, as you'll always hear on FT, only you can decide if the $247 price difference is worth it. $668 r/t for a 4 hour flight, especially if you book the 767 lie-flat config, isn't a 'steal', but is a pretty good first-class fare. (As a comparison, PHL-SJU, same dates, shorter flight, is $950).

And especially if you have no status (which sounds like you wouldn't since you haven't flown AA in forever), you'll get priority check-in, free checked bags, early boarding, etc., so those benefits might also be worth something to you. You'll also get double elite qualifying miles, which probably doesn't matter in your case.

IADCAflyer May 27, 2018 6:07 am

FWIW, the OP states that a cruise is involved. I'm assuming that the OP is going with a companion. In my experience, cruisers usually travel heavy in the baggage department and come back heavy - clothes, toiletries, duty free purchases, etc. If you are sans status, you're going to be dropping $50 per passenger on baggage alone. That makes the delta less than $200. Throw in the ability to have a nice seat, not have to buy food at the airport (you're fed a decent meal onboard, free drinks, etc.),and the delta becomes more like $150. If this decision was mine and I was going on a nice cruise, I'd probably spend the extra to have a pleasant vacation starter and close-out. I would be sure to try to snag the wide-body on this trip as opposed to the 321 or the 738.

golfingboy May 27, 2018 7:08 am

Relatively speaking - I do think $660 r/t is a good first/business class fare for a trip of this length and something I would pay if I can snag a seat on the widebodies.

This fare is as good as it can get for this market unless AA launches some form of fire sale.

mcgahat May 27, 2018 10:13 am

I consider that price for the length of flight to be in my sweet spot for purchasing versus upgrading. Each individual has to decide on what there own sweet spot is though....

jacobguo May 27, 2018 12:13 pm

$123.5 O/W is less than the cost of 4 upgrades, the amount this route needs, clocking in at just over 1,500 miles.
I’d do it for sure.

Dalewood May 28, 2018 6:03 pm

T
Thanks folks. On Delta it is probably a tough upgrade via ATL or an inconvenient connection via JFK, so AA looks better.

arollins May 28, 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 29803285)
T
Thanks folks. On Delta it is probably a tough upgrade via ATL or an inconvenient connection via JFK, so AA looks better.

So, why do the post? I mean, you clearly say that on DL its a tough upgrade or an inconvenient connection via JFK. Not sure of the price, but overall it appears that AA was the winner from the get go as you say. Any reason you do not provide the additional details regardinging your choices? How can we be a helpful community without the proper details. Enjoy the flight.

normcpa May 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat (Post 29799079)
I consider that price for the length of flight to be in my sweet spot for purchasing versus upgrading. Each individual has to decide on what there own sweet spot is though....

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 29798622)
Relatively speaking - I do think $660 r/t is a good first/business class fare for a trip of this length and something I would pay if I can snag a seat on the widebodies.

This fare is as good as it can get for this market unless AA launches some form of fire sale.

Originally Posted by jacobguo (Post 29799420)
$123.5 O/W is less than the cost of 4 upgrades, the amount this route needs, clocking in at just over 1,500 miles.
I’d do it for sure.

I completely agree!

redtop43 May 28, 2018 10:21 pm

If you can get the widebody with lie-flat seats, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I pay considerably more than that to buy up when I fly transcon on the A332.