Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL-SJU First at $660 r/t - good deal or not?

Old May 26, 18, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum

I have not flown AA since Clinton was president. For 2/19, I can get FC for about $660 r/t. Is this one worth jumping on? I am going on a cruise, so I gotta get there.
Old May 26, 18, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Dalewood View Post
I have not flown AA since Clinton was president. For 2/19, I can get FC for about $660 r/t. Is this one worth jumping on? I am going on a cruise, so I gotta get there.
Only you can decide whats worth jumping on. I know that often AA runs an A-330 between PHL and SJU - especially in winter and spring. Its a nice ride utilizing the lie flats. And IIRC its about a 4 hour flight.
Old May 26, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Appears to be the year-round price.
Old May 26, 18, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Worth jumping on compared to what?
Do you feel first class is worth the price difference?
Old May 27, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: AA CK
Just looked at outbound, and return on 3/1 (since OP doesn't specify a return).

Showing 3 n/s flights a today, currently scheduled to be operated by a 763, A321 and 738 (recognizing that it's 9 months out so schedules and equipment can change). All are pricing $421 in coach and $668 in business.

To specifically answer the OP's question, as you'll always hear on FT, only you can decide if the $247 price difference is worth it. $668 r/t for a 4 hour flight, especially if you book the 767 lie-flat config, isn't a 'steal', but is a pretty good first-class fare. (As a comparison, PHL-SJU, same dates, shorter flight, is $950).

And especially if you have no status (which sounds like you wouldn't since you haven't flown AA in forever), you'll get priority check-in, free checked bags, early boarding, etc., so those benefits might also be worth something to you. You'll also get double elite qualifying miles, which probably doesn't matter in your case.
Old May 27, 18, 6:07 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
FWIW, the OP states that a cruise is involved. I'm assuming that the OP is going with a companion. In my experience, cruisers usually travel heavy in the baggage department and come back heavy - clothes, toiletries, duty free purchases, etc. If you are sans status, you're going to be dropping $50 per passenger on baggage alone. That makes the delta less than $200. Throw in the ability to have a nice seat, not have to buy food at the airport (you're fed a decent meal onboard, free drinks, etc.),and the delta becomes more like $150. If this decision was mine and I was going on a nice cruise, I'd probably spend the extra to have a pleasant vacation starter and close-out. I would be sure to try to snag the wide-body on this trip as opposed to the 321 or the 738.
golfingboy, jcatman and apeortdz like this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 27, 18 at 12:16 pm
Old May 27, 18, 7:08 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Relatively speaking - I do think $660 r/t is a good first/business class fare for a trip of this length and something I would pay if I can snag a seat on the widebodies.

This fare is as good as it can get for this market unless AA launches some form of fire sale.
Old May 27, 18, 10:13 am

I consider that price for the length of flight to be in my sweet spot for purchasing versus upgrading. Each individual has to decide on what there own sweet spot is though....
Old May 27, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
$123.5 O/W is less than the cost of 4 upgrades, the amount this route needs, clocking in at just over 1,500 miles.
Id do it for sure.
Old May 28, 18, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
T
Thanks folks. On Delta it is probably a tough upgrade via ATL or an inconvenient connection via JFK, so AA looks better.
Old May 28, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
T
Thanks folks. On Delta it is probably a tough upgrade via ATL or an inconvenient connection via JFK, so AA looks better.
So, why do the post? I mean, you clearly say that on DL its a tough upgrade or an inconvenient connection via JFK. Not sure of the price, but overall it appears that AA was the winner from the get go as you say. Any reason you do not provide the additional details regardinging your choices? How can we be a helpful community without the proper details. Enjoy the flight.

Last edited by arollins; May 28, 18 at 8:51 pm
Old May 28, 18, 10:06 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I consider that price for the length of flight to be in my sweet spot for purchasing versus upgrading. Each individual has to decide on what there own sweet spot is though....
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Relatively speaking - I do think $660 r/t is a good first/business class fare for a trip of this length and something I would pay if I can snag a seat on the widebodies.

This fare is as good as it can get for this market unless AA launches some form of fire sale.
Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post
$123.5 O/W is less than the cost of 4 upgrades, the amount this route needs, clocking in at just over 1,500 miles.
Id do it for sure.
I completely agree!
Old May 28, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you can get the widebody with lie-flat seats, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I pay considerably more than that to buy up when I fly transcon on the A332.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: