Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unable to Add AA Number to BA Booked AA Award Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.

I booked an AA award flight using Avios and am unable to add my AA number to get access to main cabin extra seats (and eventually early boarding and all other benefits). I've tried going through FinnAir and Royal Jordanian and both are allowing me to ADD a frequent flyer number but the BA one is STILL on the reservation. When I go into AA, it's not giving me the option to select premium seats without the added fee. Ironically, the ticket is showing I get two free bags (is that a benefit of BA award flights)? The twitter team for AA and BA are refusing to change it out.

I saw another person on Facebook saying he talked with the executive platinum line and they've recently been instructed not to change the number and that BA booked award flights are not entitled to any status benefits on AA.

Is this a recent change? Is this listed in the terms and conditions anywhere? Anyone else having this problem? Anyone found a solution to this??
Old May 21, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
I booked an AA award flight using Avios and am unable to add my AA number to get access to main cabin extra seats (and eventually early boarding and all other benefits). I've tried going through FinnAir and Royal Jordanian and both are allowing me to ADD a frequent flyer number but the BA one is STILL on the reservation. When I go into AA, it's not giving me the option to select premium seats without the added fee. Ironically, the ticket is showing I get two free bags (is that a benefit of BA award flights)? The twitter team for AA and BA are refusing to change it out.

I saw another person on Facebook saying he talked with the executive platinum line and they've recently been instructed not to change the number and that BA booked award flights are not entitled to any status benefits on AA.

Is this a recent change? Is this listed in the terms and conditions anywhere? Anyone else having this problem? Anyone found a solution to this??
For my AA-operated flights booked using BA points, I say the ticket isn’t for the account holder and also remove a FFN at the time of booking on the BA website. Then, just after the ticket is issued by BA, I go into manage my booking on the BA website and add in the AA FFN. I’ve not yet had that fail for me this year.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
That's the ultimate pro-tip! Thanks!! I did manage just now to get it fixed with a rep who was actually working on a different reservation for me.

Originally Posted by GUWonder

For my AA-operated flights booked using BA points, I say the ticket isn’t for the account holder and also remove a FFN at the time of booking on the BA website. Then, just after the ticket is issued by BA, I go into manage my booking on the BA website and add in the AA FFN. I’ve not yet had that fail for me this year.
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

This is what I do also. If I forget, I just ask BA to remove the FFN and say nothing about changing it - never had that request declined.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:49 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Does the Finnair trick no longer work?!
KurFTBiz and TravelerMSY like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmx
It worked a few days ago at least
cmx likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cmx
It worked for me like 12 hours ago.
cmx likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:17 am

Making reservation with no number to start with.I could not get it to stick by changing it on BA.com, but I was able to add it on AA.com.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
It worked for me like 12 hours ago.
Finnair appears to take my AA number, but then it isn't being replicated to AA. Anyone else having trouble with this lately? I used to do it all the time without problem.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onfo
Finnair appears to take my AA number, but then it isn't being replicated to AA. Anyone else having trouble with this lately? I used to do it all the time without problem.
Use Qatar’s website instead. I just used it last week to switch FF #s.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
I want to provide my data point here. Me and my wife are both AA gold. I booked a AA domestic trip with avios for my whole family. After I made the booking online, I went to Finnair site to change FFNs for both me and my wife. It was successfully copied over to AA after about a day. I can choose preferred seats etc. But last week, my wife's plan changed and she would not be able to make the trip with us. So I had to call BA and cancelled her ticket. After her ticket was cancelled, I can no longer choose preferred seats without paying fees. And my reservation disappeared from aa.com while still showing up on aa app. If I have known that, I would have rearrange my seat selection before I cancelled my wife's ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Exactly. I did the same thing with an AS award booking on AA. I booked the award by manually entering my info without an FFN, as if I made the booking for someone else.
Then I went to the AA website and entered my AA number and booked MCE seats. The odd thing is it let me check the upgrade box.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
I want to provide my data point here. Me and my wife are both AA gold. I booked a AA domestic trip with avios for my whole family. After I made the booking online, I went to Finnair site to change FFNs for both me and my wife. It was successfully copied over to AA after about a day. I can choose preferred seats etc. But last week, my wife's plan changed and she would not be able to make the trip with us. So I had to call BA and cancelled her ticket. After her ticket was cancelled, I can no longer choose preferred seats without paying fees. And my reservation disappeared from aa.com while still showing up on aa app. If I have known that, I would have rearrange my seat selection before I cancelled my wife's ticket.
From my recent experience, that's likely because the benefits you were getting were due to your wife's status. AA's system now seems to recognize that the tickets were purchased via Avios belonging to the purchaser even if you change the FFN to your AA number. I haven't tried the purchasing for someone else trick but in August I had a similar problem as you but with checked bag fees.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I wonder if removing it and adding it back will make a difference. Or, you could call AA and ask if they can give you the seat you want, as your Gold number is in the booking now
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think once you mess around with these reservations on the Finnair site, you can’t do this yourself and must call in. I just had this happen and I called the executive platinum line and they were able to quickly swap in my number and put us into seats w extra legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.