Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Free Elite Status inc. e-500 and challenge (05/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Free Elite Status inc. e-500 and challenge (05/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Status already changed to Plat Pro in <24 hours ^ Alas no stickers

And yes, I think I need stickers for companion upgrades, no?
You need them for companions but can buy them fairly cheap. Golds and non-Pro/EXP need them to travel themselves for anything over 500 miles, so that's probably why they're included for the Gold and PLT offers.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
[Deleted to prevent being trolled]
Old May 17, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I got the plat pro + 17 stickers. I have 10k with them so far and a few AA cards w Barclay and Citi. Haven’t had any status w them for years but do 10-20k each year.

Oddly I received a gold buy up offer for $399 or $499 just about a week ago. I would have been quite angry had I accepted; quite disappointed in AA

I’m not going to fly AA any more or less though. Wasted effort on me.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Wasn't targeted, and could have booked the 20K EQMs, but would have had trouble with the EQDs to keep status, as I have the Citi card and not the Barclays Aviator. Oh well, September 7 is pretty close anyways.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
I'm an ex-Exec Plat, gone about 3yrs now and having no AA status at present. Right now I'm focusing most of my flying back to UA where I have a shot at hitting the 2MM mark. I got the exact same offer as the orig poster which I think is reasonably generous. Of course I took the Gold for the summer, but unsure if I will use it unless I have a pop-up business trip. If I were flying more, I would absolutely have taken the Exec Plat challenge for 35k EQM and $4k EQD, BUT my current lower flying level doesn't make it worth pursuing. Benefits are worth nothing if you cannot use them.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Well I for one am not happy people with zero status are getting Platinum Pro whereas I'm less than 8k short of 2million and at Platinum this year and the only "upgrade" offer I got was to pay $1600 to get Platinum Pro. I get this is marketing to get more people but unfair to those of us that have been loyal to AA (since 1990 in my case) and spent years at EXP before a job change busted me down to Platinum. Sitting here knowing that first class is full on my return flight tomorrow too when there were 7 seats open just a few days ago.
adunker likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:24 am

I was Platinum in 2017, down to Gold this year. Already met Gold for next year through my travel so far this year, but I'm missing my Platinum. All I really care about is early boarding and picking good seats early. The upgrades on AA are nearly impossible these days so it has little to no value.

I wonder how I can get this offer too.

I tried the link, but you need a promo code. Anyone have this?
Old May 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by Sommy
I was Platinum in 2017, down to Gold this year. Already met Gold for next year through my travel so far this year, but I'm missing my Platinum. All I really care about is early boarding and picking good seats early. The upgrades on AA are nearly impossible these days so it has little to no value.

I wonder how I can get this offer too.

I tried the link, but you need a promo code. Anyone have this?
It's targeted. Unless you were sent the promo code individually, you won't be able to access this offer.

If you are (like me) Gold, AA doesn't care about you. It cares about the big ticket customers. That is entirely their prerogative, of course.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I got the gold offer; ex-gold (had plat in 2015-2016, gold 2017, let it lapse b/c I generally buy front cabin tickets now.) had 6 segments in F in April (STL-DEN-STL and STL-SEA - came back on AS N/S in F), and have one more trip to TPA in June, maybe SMF in early September. Gold status doesn't give me anything I don't get in F except the extra 2 mi/$. Stickers are pretty much useless these days as a gold.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I got the Platinum offer. I can't see any use for it.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA-PLT,-EXEC 2.7MM + UA-Former1k
Anyone know if Delta or United have run a similar campaign previously or currently are? I just flew Delta for the first time in > 10 years....was ok and they still honor a generic Platinum Amex for access to the Sky Club so maybe they'd like to see me more often in Detroit or Atlanta?

If I could make an Elite level switch (United 1K or Delta SkyNet level :-) within one year's time while still AA PlatExec that year - i.e. not have to spend a year earning I would potentially contemplate the challenge - although hard to imaging going back to United based on what I read vs. AA.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
This may indicate that this year the elite ranks thinned more than they hoped (or the elites are flying less) after their new elite qualification rules had a year to marinate and weed out the mileage runners from 2016 and earlier.

I'm mixing my travel between DL and AA. As an AA LT Gold with about $6000 EQD's in the prior 12 months, I see upgrades on some flights with 12-16 F seats. ONCE I got one on an 8 seat A319 route. But given this slap in the face targeted promotion I may move all my travel over to DL. I'm Silver there headed for Gold where I have gotten decent upgrades (that cost no stickers), and advance exit row for no fee.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
"To extend your elite benefits through January 31, 2020, earn 20,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $2,400 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 7, 2018.**"

Since Plat Pros earn 9 miles to the dollar, if I spent $2,400 EQDs, would that give me 21600 EQMs?

Or are EQMs calculated by multiplying the actual miles flown by the booking class multiplier?

Sorry for the noob question, new to AA status.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cdmca
"To extend your elite benefits through January 31, 2020, earn 20,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $2,400 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 7, 2018.**"

Since Plat Pros earn 9 miles to the dollar, if I spent $2,400 EQDs, would that give me 21600 EQMs?

Or are EQMs calculated by multiplying the actual miles flown by the booking class multiplier?

Sorry for the noob question, new to AA status.
no problem! Welcome to AA and the status!

unfortunately, when the words miles are used, it means RDM or redeemable miles, not EQM or EQD.

If you fly 1 flight that is 5000 miles long in Y and spend 2400 USD.. your RDM will be 9×dollars, your EQD will be 2400-Taxes and your EQM will be 5000.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
As a Gold who qualifies on segments and currently has 4 upgrades, this annoys me a lot. Yeah, they will be at the bottom of the list of Plats but they will be ahead of me despite $4k spend so far this year on my part.
Today I missed my first upgrade in months so yeah I'm bitter.
Not sure if this makes me more likely to go for Plat this year or less likely...
These kind of promos have been going on for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.