FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Time for row renumbering? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1906035-time-row-renumbering.html)

Uncle Nonny Apr 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 29684258)
the commoners start in row 7 or 8 (on a 738). To avoid confusion, AA should start those seat numbers with a 1000, like how my cable identifies the HD channels.

Pit of Misery starts @Row 7

Antarius Apr 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 29684261)
Pit of Misery starts @Row 7

in the case of the CR2 .. row 1 even

rjw242 Apr 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 29682864)
First world problem :)

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 29682970)
For fun, I looked at the seat maps of some of the Indian and African LCCs, and their seat maps all start with row 1...so you're actually right...

Evidently some Chinese airlines don't start at row 1, so it's a second-world problem as well :D

schertz Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm

I believe the 737 and the MD80 seat numbering scheme came out of a long-ago attempt at standardization. From the then ‘standard’ domestic 757 AA configuration of 24 F, to align the seat numbers for economy so that all started at row 7, they began with row 3 for the ‘low first’ 16 seat cabins of the Super 80s and 737s. Oh how times have changed...

...someone around even earlier might be able to recall what the 727 configurations were...that was before my time.

arlflyer Apr 26, 2018 5:48 am

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 29684637)
Evidently some Chinese airlines don't start at row 1, so it's a second-world problem as well :D

At least they don't stick anybody in row 4 - that probably would not be considered "preferred seating". :p

Dallas49er Apr 26, 2018 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 29684017)
Pilots sit in row 1. FA sit in row 2. Commoners start in row 3. Not sure what the problem is.

So THAT'S why 1A and B are always blocked! Who knew?

LovePrunes Apr 26, 2018 11:19 pm

This proposal sounds like the equivalent of asking hotels to standardize their room numbers. What difference does it make? They could call it row 75 in first class, I don't care. Just go where the matching number from your boarding pass is on the plane...why does anyone care what the digits are for their seat number? I don't understand.

rjw242 Apr 26, 2018 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 29688618)
This proposal sounds like the equivalent of asking hotels to standardize their room numbers. What difference does it make? They could call it row 75 in first class, I don't care. Just go where the matching number from your boarding pass is on the plane...why does anyone care what the digits are for their seat number? I don't understand.

Funny that your example in fact proves the counterpoint: hotel room numbers actually are standardized, in that the first one or two digits specify the floor number. Wouldn't you find it annoying if room #605 was on the third floor in Marriotts but on the eighteenth in Hyatts?

deeruck Apr 27, 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 29688683)
Funny that your example in fact proves the counterpoint: hotel room numbers actually are standardized, in that the first one or two digits specify the floor number. Wouldn't you find it annoying if room #605 was on the third floor in Marriotts but on the eighteenth in Hyatts?

That confused me at the Hilton O'Hare recently. Room #2011 is on level 2, not 20.

Antarius Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 29688618)

mainly because there is no benefit to it starting on row 3. So it is benefit free confusion.

so why not eliminate that?

MikeShores Apr 30, 2018 11:18 am

It makes a difference when you are booking or re-booking on the fly over the phone and the agent is asking if you which seat assignment you prefer. Without having a seatmap in front of you, you could erroneously select a bulkhead seat without wanting to (I personally hate them) or vice-versa. If all FC bulkhead seats were row number 1, you would now. Alternatively, if the Economy rows began at the same row number, you could do the same there. Obviously there are differences back in coach that may affect seat selection, but to at least align the bulkhead rows would be nice.