Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Disappointing first Premium Economy experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

Flew in PE last night for the first time, from SCL-MIA on a 777-200. I wasn't going into it with very high expectations: nicer meal, bigger seat, slightly enhanced service. The first two were as expected, but the service from the MIA based crew was pretty horrendous. Meal service was rushed (at least one tray with someone's meal sounded like it ended up in the floor), and out of order (received food before any beverages). The worst part though was that after doing a quick post dinner beverage pass, there was no further service until breakfast (6-7 hours later), not even water. Trash sat there for hours and hours. The crew were completely missing that entire time, and I witnessed a number of customers (even from main cabin) get so desperate that they walked into business class to the galley buffet and returned with beverages and even desserts!! On top of that, breakfast was very disorganized and sloppy (the entire last row of PE never got the yogurt that was served to the first couple rows), and the FAs seemed to have chips on their shoulders the entire flight. Honestly the experience was quite pathetic, and worse than what I've experienced in economy on many flights. Will be writing into AA about this, but I don't expect they'll care too much...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:34 pm

What do you expect on a short (sub 8 hr) overnight flight? Nothing drives me more batty than the ruckus caused by the meal service when all I want is sleep and this is in biz.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by msr0013
Flew in PE last night for the first time, from SCL-MIA on a 777-200. I wasn't going into it with very high expectations: nicer meal, bigger seat, slightly enhanced service. The first two were as expected, but the service from the MIA based crew was pretty horrendous. Meal service was rushed (at least one tray with someone's meal sounded like it ended up in the floor), and out of order (received food before any beverages). The worst part though was that after doing a quick post dinner beverage pass, there was no further service until breakfast (6-7 hours later), not even water. Trash sat there for hours and hours. The crew were completely missing that entire time, and I witnessed a number of customers (even from main cabin) get so desperate that they walked into business class to the galley buffet and returned with beverages and even desserts!! On top of that, breakfast was very disorganized and sloppy (the entire last row of PE never got the yogurt that was served to the first couple rows), and the FAs seemed to have chips on their shoulders the entire flight. Honestly the experience was quite pathetic, and worse than what I've experienced in economy on many flights. Will be writing into AA about this, but I don't expect they'll care too much...
Sounds a lot like our experience in J on that flight.
msr0013, cloud77, JonNYC and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I was another passenger on that lackluster SCL-MIA 8+ hr flight, also in premium economy. We all can appreciate prompt efficient service to maximize sleep time. However, good flight crews quietly stroll through the cabin every hour or two looking for passengers who are awake to refill their water or clear empty cups. With the best, you'll open your eyes from a nap to see your drink refilled, anticipating your needs. Usually I try to sleep some, but last night I happened to be awake all night, so I dimmed my screen and watched movies all night. I noticed that not one flight attendant so much as walked down the aisle on my side of the plane for over 4 hours - I've never seen that before on any other international flight, in any cabin of service. It seemed we were just on our own. At least the food in PE was pretty good.
enviroian and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:29 pm

I guess it’s a good thing that wasn’t actually PE then, as the 772’s are still being retrofitted and PE hasn’t actually started service.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I guess it’s a good thing that wasn’t actually PE then, as the 772’s are still being retrofitted and PE hasn’t actually started service.
PE has started service, but not on all routes that will eventually have it. No 77W routes currently feature PE service - they feature PE seats in the mini-cabin area with standard economy service, which will exist until late June (after all 77W have completed the retrofit). Many 772's have the new PE mini-cabin, but some do not. Some routes have full PE already in-service, some only have the seats but still feature standard economy service, and some are still waiting to get the PE refit. MIA-SCL has full PE in-service on completely retrofitted 772s. This flight is not a situation where there is a PE mini-cabin with standard economy service.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by asf-07
PE has started service, but not on all routes that will eventually have it. No 77W routes currently feature PE service - they feature PE seats in the mini-cabin area with standard economy service, which will exist until late June (after all 77W have completed the retrofit). Many 772's have the new PE mini-cabin, but some do not. Some routes have full PE already in-service, some only have the seats but still feature standard economy service, and some are still waiting to get the PE refit. MIA-SCL has full PE in-service on completely retrofitted 772s. This flight is not a situation where there is a PE mini-cabin with standard economy service.
​​​​​​
Yes, this was full PE service, meals resembled domestic F, served on the same china.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Lazy flight attendants.

muji, asf-07 and asnovici like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Service for South America -> MIA flights even in J is usually more miss than hit both in terms of food quality
and cabin service. I would take LAX, JFK, or DFW crew any time over one from MIA!
socalduck likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Service for South America -> MIA flights even in J is usually more miss than hit both in terms of food quality
and cabin service. I would take LAX, JFK, or DFW crew any time over one from MIA!
i flew award saver J to scl from dfw last fall and the service was great.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:29 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
What do you expect on a short (sub 8 hr) overnight flight? Nothing drives me more batty than the ruckus caused by the meal service when all I want is sleep and this is in biz.
Like most people, the OP probably expects the service he paid for with his ticket. While I am sorry you find it a ruckus, most of us consider it the bare minimum to make an 8 hour flight tolerable.
TSparky, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I'm not bashful about ringing the call button - sometimes twice. Nothing worse than sitting with an empty glass or a finished tray.
It seems most people let stuff like this ruin their flight - not for me! Ring away, folks!
jhartvu, Spiff, JDiver and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
This is incorrect. AA has in fact begun PE service on select routes. I have flown it personally on the 789 and 772 to TYO. It was sold into either P or W class, with a separate "Premium Economy" column on the aa.com website. It has a separate cabin with a bulkhead, separate meal and bev service with real plates, PE seats, and received FF credited at PE earning rates.

Luckily for me, the service was excellent on both flights - but wasn't quite as nice as JL W. Then again, MIA flights always seem to disappoint me.
JDiver, waalien and BearX220 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The PE footrest in the 772 was a big disappointment- so short that I couldn’t fit my feet on it in a way that they wouldn’t immediately slide off. Had to hook my feet on top of the rest but under the seat, not very comfortable.Footrests are a big deal for me.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:05 am

There's no separate crew for PE, is there? It's just the Y crew, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.