Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New AA Cockpit Protocol? (Captain using lav without aisle blocking)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AA Cockpit Protocol? (Captain using lav without aisle blocking)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Hence,
Yes.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by danbrew
I have a pal who is an AA pilot - he says that they've timed how long it takes somebody to get to the cockpit from 1st with and without the cart - i don't recall the exact number, but it was pretty fast - something like less than 8 seconds without a cart and 20 seconds with a cart. If it were me? I'd go right over that cart and be in the cockpit pretty fast. Well, wait, let me say that again - if it were me when I was 20? Yeah, I'd be in that cockpit. If it were me today? "Sir, sir, can you hear me?" "Hello, is there a doctor onboard? We've got some fat 50+ year old dude that has collapsed on top of the drink cart. We all had no idea what the hell he was doing when he moseyed up here in slow motion and then kind of collapsed on top of the cart - maybe a heart attack? We dunno. He was mumbling something about Cuba - does anyone speak spanish?"
OMG thank you. Nominated for post of the year ^
danbrew and apeortdz like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, AA Platinum, National/Enterprise Executive
I noticed the same thing on my CLT-DEN flights and the return last week. No cart blocking the aisle when cockpit door opened. I thought is was strange too.....
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Probably FA union related. Or the pilot is packing heat. Or both, or neither.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:55 am

Blocking the door always seemed like a pretty reasonable and effective security measure to me. When a pilot enters/exits the cockpit it only takes a few seconds, but it someone was near the door they could have a reasonable chance of getting through the door and into the cockpit. Being kept a few feet away and by a cart could easily add a couple seconds, which would be plenty of time for the pilot to slam the door shut (whether he was in or out of the cockpit).

Secure cockpit doors, cockpits with two doors and blocking the entrace to single cockpit doors seems like the best security we have for 9/11 style attacks (and treating hijackers like suicide bombers, not ransom wanters).
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by will2288
Blocking the door always seemed like a pretty reasonable and effective security measure to me. When a pilot enters/exits the cockpit it only takes a few seconds, but it someone was near the door they could have a reasonable chance of getting through the door and into the cockpit. Being kept a few feet away and by a cart could easily add a couple seconds, which would be plenty of time for the pilot to slam the door shut (whether he was in or out of the cockpit).

Secure cockpit doors, cockpits with two doors and blocking the entrace to single cockpit doors seems like the best security we have for 9/11 style attacks (and treating hijackers like suicide bombers, not ransom wanters).
I guess I had seen the cart-blocked cockpit doors for so long I thought it was some sort of requirement. Yesterdays door was blocked by a 20 something 5' 2" FA.

I prefer the cart.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Given the Germanwings incident, I'd prefer that when a crew member leaves the cockpit, the cart blocks the lav...and the cockpit door is blocked open.
danbrew likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
A year or so ago, the FA blocked the aisle with the cart while I was still in the F Lav (she forgot I was there). I opened the lav door at the same time as the pilot was stepping out. He and I both made eye contact, both were like "oh ...." and slammed our respective doors shut. FA then was super apologetic and let me out with the cockpit door closed.

It doesn't help that I'm brown.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Did anyone ever really think that the cart would slow someone by more than a few seconds?
How long do you think it takes a passenger/marshal in Row 1 or Row 2 to recognize a bad actor, stand up, and assist?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:38 pm

Whether the cart is there or not, please respect the crew when they redirect you to another lav
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by CPRich
How long do you think it takes a passenger/marshal in Row 1 or Row 2 to recognize a bad actor, stand up, and assist?
Abel-bodied and of the mind to take action? Less than 5 seconds.
Most of the passengers on a plane - frozen in fear/by-stander effect.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Maybe the pilot had to use the toilet ASAP--waiting for the cart was NOT an option--AA catering can have this effect.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:04 am

I noticed this too on a trip a couple weeks ago. Along with the hardened cockpit doors the cart blocking the aisle is one of the few additional security measures that actually makes some sense. It may only add a few seconds to someone getting to the door but that's likely enough to slam it shut securing the cockpit with at least one of the pilots inside.
txpenny likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've definitely seen it not blocked, I think on an American Eagle flight. It doesn't bother me as long as a flight attendant steps into the cockpit. I was flying BA from ZRH to LHR and no flight attendant went into the cockpit while one of the pilots went to the lav. I definitely don't think that's protocol.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:59 am
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
TSA ranks just under mall cops for effectiveness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.