Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Did American decrease the number of streaming movies available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA

I noticed that American only has about 48 movies available for viewing on their aircraft with streaming. This is about 1/2 what it once was and now offer no foreign films at all. Is this due to the ongoing switch from Gogo to ViaSat? Would anyone know if this is a temporary matter? Both United and Delta Studio offer far greater movie streaming selection.

Skycubbie
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I don't feel as though they've decreased the number of streaming options. From what I have noticed (admittedly without counting) the number has always been around 1/3 of what is available on the PTV-equipped aircraft.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Didn't notice any decrease, but I do feel the content is a bit stale and they don't mix it up much. Not a whole ton of new releases.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Didn't notice any decrease, but I do feel the content is a bit stale and they don't mix it up much. Not a whole ton of new releases.
To be honest I've felt the opposite. Compared to last year I've felt that this year it seems like they've kept more steady of a stream.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
The streaming content is very sub-par compared to AA's AVOD selection. I'm personally fine if they want to do streaming instead of AVOD, but don't lie and say it's the same, then penny pinch on content. Going for great.
asf-07 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I think it’s aircraft specific — some Planes might have less storage/streaming capability

a few weeks I was on a newish LAA 737 , with each seat having a lcd — a large selection of movies was available

the next day on a LUS plane, bring your own device , and a very limited and stale selection
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AAdantage EXP
There’s definitely a much smaller selection when using your own device vs. LCD at every seat.

You mean to tell me you aren’t excited about watching that brand new thriller Phonebooth?
nutwpinut and TSparky like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA
This is precisely one of the reason I prefer seatback TVs. Much larger selection of programming available, along with music selections.
AANYC1981 and railmatt like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by bridge29
This is precisely one of the reason I prefer seatback TVs. Much larger selection of programming available, along with music selections.

Sorry, Doug hears differently!:roll eyes: No seatback entertainment for you!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 4aks
I think it’s aircraft specific — some Planes might have less storage/streaming capability
Delta has been explicit that some aircraft have older/smaller servers and will offer less streaming content through the Gogo portal. I think you're on to something with AA.
adunker likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Wasn't there also a talk about concerns with some studios being vary of offering streaming options, since it is theoretically possible to capture the stream vs LCD seatback content which is more secure? This is why you almost never have those very latest movies in streaming, and slightly more stale movies.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
The streaming content is very sub-par compared to AA's AVOD selection. I'm personally fine if they want to do streaming instead of AVOD, but don't lie and say it's the same, then penny pinch on content. Going for great.
I must be missing something because I thought the movies on AVOD are identical to the streaming inventory, no?

I swear when I flew the 788 a few times over the last few months I saw the same titles I see when I log onto streaming via my ipad.

Time to check into Betty Ford?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by enviroian
I must be missing something because I thought the movies on AVOD are identical to the streaming inventory, no?

I swear when I flew the 788 a few times over the last few months I saw the same titles I see when I log onto streaming via my ipad.

Time to check into Betty Ford?
There is a difference between streaming in a Plane equipped with AVOD (seat back screens) and streaming on an old legacy 737 for example. The former has much more selection than the latter which is severely limited.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yet AA knows they have to be competitive on JFK-LAX/SFO with seatback AVOD while the rest of the country (including those same transcon customers who fly outside of transcons) prefers to watch movies on their phones?? Hmmmmm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The major studios will not release any first run movies for streaming on personal devices. They are still ultra paranoid about content theft and redistribution. I used to work for an IFE company and the MPAA audits we had to go through were extremely rigid.

This is one of the major issues with Dougie wanting to remove the seatback IFE screens - content will suffer. Also in the current form (GoGo ATG), IFE does not work gate to gate and still requires the plane to have Internet connectivity, so forget about it on non-Continental US flights. This can be fixed, but will they?
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.