Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by adurzi
...please excuse the misspelling as I barley had enough energy to type......have yet to see a doctor as this morning was the first time I had any energy.
Not having energy is a pretty lame excuse for not having gone to the doctor. If OP was so weak that had to ask for a wheel chair ( I assume to get from Gate to the curb)...wasn't that a sign to head straight to urgent care/ emergency from the airport? Then have a doctor explain what the sickness is and what could have possibly caused it.
And I think that no doctor could have narrowed down the cause of the sickness to only the JFK lounge food.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Not having energy is a pretty lame excuse for not having gone to the doctor. If OP was so weak that had to ask for a wheel chair ( I assume to get from Gate to the curb)...wasn't that a sign to head straight to urgent care/ emergency from the airport? Then have a doctor explain what the sickness is and what could have possibly caused it.
And I think that no doctor could have narrowed down the cause of the sickness to only the JFK lounge food.
If I were that weak I would have asked for airport Paramedics to check me out and would have mentioned about getting sick from the AA Club. If the Paramedics felt I needed to go to the hospital you can be damn sure I would ask them to take me there for treatment. Rather be safe than sorry. My theory is to deal with the medical issue now and get compensation later but still would have filled out an incident report right away and have the report from the ER attending Dr faxed ASAP to AA to start the investigation.

If I was really feeling sick on the plane then they could have asked for a Doctor onboard and divert the flight if needed.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by embarcadero1

Those sites make money from advertising. They are marketing vehicles. There is a fundamental conflict of interest between someone who sells billboard space to pharmaceutical companies and someone seeking reliable, credible advice about health.

That would also apply to many clinicians I know, including my GP (whom I think highly of). Many have pharmacies ads on tv screens or pamphlets in their office. Im not saying you don’t have a point but it isn’t doesn’t distinguish between web sites and practitioners.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
When a passenger is ill aboard, the pilots may ask if there’s a doctor or other health professional aboard. They also can take a list of symptoms, etc. and communicate with company or contracted physicians on the ground to determine next steps.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
My sympathies for the OP. I was at the FFD JFK yesterday and they said they weren't able to serve ice cream. Not sure if related. Anyway, I kindof feel like the standards have slightly slipped compared to what it was when it first opened last year.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by beachfan
That would also apply to many clinicians I know, including my GP (whom I think highly of). Many have pharmacies ads on tv screens or pamphlets in their office. Im not saying you don’t have a point but it isn’t doesn’t distinguish between web sites and practitioners.
You just put your finger on one of the most intractable problems of the US healthcare system. Physicians who show ads for Botox are at least up front. In the American fee-for-service model of healthcare, many physicians are little more than the front line sales staff for the pharmaceutical industry. In that kind of environment, food borne illnesses tend to be treated as mostly uninteresting conditions because the pharmaceutical remedies are low margin - these conditions won't generate a CAT scan or anything else that will add to the health care provider's profit.

The best care I've ever received for GI trouble was in Mexico. That country's best universities train outstanding clinicians who know how to diagnose without the use of CAT scans or a hundred unnecessary blood tests. Most US GPs feel utterly lost without the wide battery of diagnostic tests. They generate revenue but cause good clinical skills to atrophy.

Thats why if I had GI trouble on an airplane, I would ask to speak to a nurse before speaking to a physician.. Nursing requires sharp clinical skills, medicine as practiced by many physicians in the US, not so much.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by embarcadero1

You just put your finger on one of the most intractable problems of the US healthcare system. Physicians who show ads for Botox are at least up front. In the American fee-for-service model of healthcare, many physicians are little more than the front line sales staff for the pharmaceutical industry. In that kind of environment, food borne illnesses tend to be treated as mostly uninteresting conditions because the pharmaceutical remedies are low margin - these conditions won't generate a CAT scan or anything else that will add to the health care provider's profit.

The best care I've ever received for GI trouble was in Mexico. That country's best universities train outstanding clinicians who know how to diagnose without the use of CAT scans or a hundred unnecessary blood tests. Most US GPs feel utterly lost without the wide battery of diagnostic tests. They generate revenue but cause good clinical skills to atrophy.

Thats why if I had GI trouble on an airplane, I would ask to speak to a nurse before speaking to a physician.. Nursing requires sharp clinical skills, medicine as practiced by many physicians in the US, not so much.
In my situation, it did generate a cat scan as they looked for blockages. When I saw the bill, I was livid. Then the white blood cell count came back. I think it was as much to cover themselves in case of liability as for profit, but I wonder.
embarcadero1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.