Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How common are flights with zero cleared upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Interested in getting some crowdsourced estimates for how many flights you fly that end up with zero upgrades cleared from the airport list (clearing prior to T24 doesn’t count). Also, what types of flights are most likely to go without someone clearing?

I would say I mainly fly a) transpacs at peak times, and b) domestic flights to/from spoke airports in the AA network.

For category a, upwards of 50% of the flights go without anyone clearing from the airport. On the other hand, for the domestics I fly I feel at least one person clears about 80% of the time.

What have others noticed?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I would say almost anything xxx-LHR on Sunday (and most days). This is a flight that a lot of business people pay for J.

Also

ORD-SFO, SFO-ORD are near impossible to upgrade on.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by neo_781
ORD-SFO, SFO-ORD are near impossible to upgrade on.
Interesting. Just curious, why would ORD-SFO be harder to upgrade than East Coast to SFO?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mcrw00

Interesting. Just curious, why would ORD-SFO be harder to upgrade than East Coast to SFO?
I didn't say harder. It's just one of those flights where a lot of people pay for F and there tends to be a lot of CK's on the flight. Also if you look at the frequency there aren't really many AA flights (compared to UA). My gut feel is that its a lot of bankers and lawyers that are filling the F cabin.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:09 am

Any A319 flight.

I disagree with the poster above regarding LHR flights, though. Based solely on personal experience (and of course, the plural of anecdote is not data), as an EXP I've never missed an upgrade on MIA/JFK/CLT/DFW-LHR vv.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Djokison
Any A319 flight.
This. One of my most regular routes is an A319, I'm always booked into F anyways but I often see the seatmap fully booked a week out.

Then you even get randoms, NYC-MCO is another regular route of mine. I've had the F cabin fully booked 4 months out on some trips, yet when I flew last week F was left with empty seats.

I think F just seems to sell better nowadays then when I first started flying AA domestically with any regularity in 2005/2006. In the last few months I've had fully booked cabins two months from departure several times.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect spoke to hub to be worse than hub to spoke because the latter direction will have more missed connections, other things equal.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
Any A319 flight.

I disagree with the poster above regarding LHR flights, though. Based solely on personal experience (and of course, the plural of anecdote is not data), as an EXP I've never missed an upgrade on MIA/JFK/CLT/DFW-LHR vv.
You're right. I shouldn't generalize all of US to LHR flights. From my limited personal experience, on all of the recent ORD-LHR flights on a Sunday night Business Class has been full (with no gate upgrades) while Coach has been between 40-70% full.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It is hard to say... I mean, occasionally you see a flight with no gate upgrades, but how do you tell if a flight had no upgrades at all?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
It is hard to say... I mean, occasionally you see a flight with no gate upgrades, but how do you tell if a flight had no upgrades at all?
OP specifically said "clearing prior to 24 hours doesn't count".

Of course, (1) system auto-upgrades still happen until, I think T-4 hours, and (2) not sure why this is a relevant metric at all.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm not sure if it is still the case, but in the pre-AA days, the toughest upgrades on US seemed to be between PHX and PHL, and to some extent PHX and CLT. This was especially true for flights timed to connect to/from TA flights. Many of the TA flights arrived at PHL within 1-2 hours. So if you were flying PHL-PHX at 5pm, you'd pretty much be out of luck, as many pax who bought Envoy for the TA portion were put in F for the domestic portion.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Fraser
This. One of my most regular routes is an A319, I'm always booked into F anyways but I often see the seatmap fully booked a week out.

Then you even get randoms, NYC-MCO is another regular route of mine. I've had the F cabin fully booked 4 months out on some trips, yet when I flew last week F was left with empty seats.

I think F just seems to sell better nowadays then when I first started flying AA domestically with any regularity in 2005/2006. In the last few months I've had fully booked cabins two months from departure several times.
I think this is also true on all the big three. As restrictions were tightened more people are willing to pay up. I've noticed this the last 2 years.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:09 am

I'm just going to make some partially educated, totally random guesses...

For domestic flights with a first class cabin (or the few 3-cabin flights), 85% include at least 1 upgrade.
40% of flights include an upgrade more than 24 hours out (not what OP was asking)
70% include an upgrade at T minus 24 (including serious battlefield as door is about to close).

Even with cabins which appear fully booked at T minus 24, I would guess someone winds up getting upgraded 30-40% of the time.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Not sure if it's still true, but in the pmAA days DFW-SFO and DFW-SEA were among the hardest routes to get upgrades. I also heard DFW-HKG-DFW is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, international flight to upgrade.

I once was on MIA-AUS that had no gate upgrades. Some Hawaii flights sell out the F cabin several weeks out, especially in peak season.

I agree that any A319 flight has high chance of no gate upgrades. Also any former 24F 757 flight that now is operated by 16F 738 or A321 could have a full F before gate control.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
F fares are a LOT lower than they were a decade ago. The airlines (all of them) are selling more F seats, but at lower prices. Has it been accretive to overall revenues? I suppose, but probably not a ton. DL has a goal to sell something like 85% of domestic FC seats. It's kind of asinine if you ask me, because if you drop the fares low enough you could easily sell 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.