Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bought cheap Hawaii tickets w/ UL points–only poor seats available to select

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Bought three cheapie tickets on AA to Kona, Hawaii this August using UL points, and when I went to select seats, virtually all the coach seats were “unavailable” except the paid seats. There were just a few middle seats available. Is American holding back seat assignments of a lot of these seats? I can’t imagine those flights would be that full this far in advance (for instance, flight 229 DFW/KOA 8 Aug). Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:03 pm Reason: Redacted unnecessary color (like using all caps)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by GSTgst
Bought three cheapie tickets on AA to Kona, Hawaii this August using UL points, and when I went to select seats, virtually all the coach seats were “unavailable” except the paid seats. There were just a few middle seats available. Is American holding back seat assignments of a lot of these seats? I can’t imagine those flights would be that full this far in advance (for instance, flight 229 DFW/KOA 8 Aug). Any suggestions? Thank you.
You're not crazy
AA Only Middle Seats Available Gimmick
you'll have access to other free seats under 24 hours from departure, but if you want to be sure and sit together or be sure you don't get a middle seat, they're coaxing you to pay
they save many aisle and window seats on every flight for elite level customers who get them free, or if any are left, you get them free. Or you buy them to be sure you get what you want.

One new thing starting soon is that Main Cabin Extra seats are supposed to get free booze, so there's that.
ashill likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:02 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted color
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:05 pm

What is UL?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rrgg
What is UL?
SriLankan Airlines.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Create a free account on ExpertFlyer. That will let you see the seat map, distinguishing between occupied seats, elite-only seats, and paid seats. On your flight, almost everything from row 29 forward is unoccupied. From 30-35, most of the aisle seats are premium-only, and the back 4 rows, the whole middle section is blocked (I'm assuming airport assignment for families with children).

The free account will also let you set a seat alert, so you'll get an email, for example, if any aisle or window opens up.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by swag
Create a free account on ExpertFlyer. That will let you see the seat map, distinguishing between occupied seats, elite-only seats, and paid seats. On your flight, almost everything from row 29 forward is unoccupied. From 30-35, most of the aisle seats are premium-only, and the back 4 rows, the whole middle section is blocked (I'm assuming airport assignment for families with children).

The free account will also let you set a seat alert, so you'll get an email, for example, if any aisle or window opens up.
So explain to me why I am paying for my ExpertFlyer account?

Last edited by Dallas49er; Feb 11, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

OP-Please tell us what you were reasonably expecting when you "Bought three cheapie tickets on AA to Kona, Hawaii this August using UL points", to one of the toughest destinations in the AA system.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AA for some reason is usually the worst when it comes to blocking out aisle & window seats throughout the entire aircraft and middle seats toward the front of the cabin. Guess they're near bankruptcy again if they need that many people to pay for preferred/MCE seats...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

You get to set up more alerts types/styles than the free account for starters. Further details here: https://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Because the free trial is limited in features and only is for five days?

Now, back on topic.

The OP has no status, so is only offered the “non-Premium” seats. At least they’re not buying the OP Basic Economy Tickets.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:00 am

the hawaii bound OP can also do a free expert flyer account for a single seat alert only...
not a 5-Day trial
https://www.expertflyer.com/free-program
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:22 am

This has less to do with an Expertflyer subscription, and more to do with the sheer number of seats AA is setting aside as 'premium' or paid seats. The seat map on AA.com tells the same story without a subscription. Red (MCE) and green/blue star (premium) seats cost extra. On this particular flight, there are over 130 of these available, and there are exactly 0 non-premium seats available for selection.

As an elite, I can actually see the good in this. With a lot of leisure travelers not wanting to pay for seats, logic says more 'decent' coach seats will be available to select.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA does so because it can do so. This more than likely results in availability of better seats for elites and even non-elites willing to pay. Someone on a full flight is going to wind up in that middle seat in the row just before the lav. So, it's a zero-sum game.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
This has less to do with an Expertflyer subscription, and more to do with the sheer number of seats AA is setting aside as 'premium' or paid seats. The seat map on AA.com tells the same story without a subscription. Red (MCE) and green/blue star (premium) seats cost extra. On this particular flight, there are over 130 of these available, and there are exactly 0 non-premium seats available for selection.

As an elite, I can actually see the good in this. With a lot of leisure travelers not wanting to pay for seats, logic says more 'decent' coach seats will be available to select.
As an elite (meaning I use the product (AAseats=buy tickets)), I too see the fabulous in this. I would hate to "pay-up" for a ticket, or a reward (which is almost always the case), only to find all the desirable seats had been taken by: some credit card churners, or some non-flyers with a big spend on thier AA Citi card, et al.

OTOH-I sincerely hope OP has a wonderful time on Kona.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
As an elite (meaning I use the product (AAseats=buy tickets)), I too see the fabulous in this. I would hate to "pay-up" for a ticket, or a reward (which is almost always the case), only to find all the desirable seats had been taken by: some credit card churners, or some non-flyers with a big spend on thier AA Citi card, et al.

OTOH-I sincerely hope OP has a wonderful time on Kona.
Since when did regular window/aisle seats in economy become "Desirable seats"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.