Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

6 million miles... (but only Lifetime Platinum status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 million miles... (but only Lifetime Platinum status)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Maybe they're waiting for all of those who raked in lifetime miles via CC spend to die off and then release lifetime status for 3MM, 4MM+?

In all honestly, it doesn't make sense to reward someone PLT/PPRO/EXP for life if they haven't spent a fraction of the time/money with their butt in a seat.
I got to over 2MM 95% from flying. Perhaps AA could modify awarding lifetime status by re-assessing* how one attained the miles in the MM bank; so if one reaches (say) 3MM based on BIS miles, that pax might get Plat Pro for life.
*My guess is that the re-evaluation process might be impossible for AAs tech people.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
All entitlement aside, I do think that with the introduction of the Platinum Pro tier, AA does have a real opportunity to expand the Lifetime status program. It's clear that they don't want to give away EXP status to anyone unless they actually fly enough to earn it. But, perhaps adding Lifetime Pro status at the 3, or even 4 million mile level, could be something in the cards for the future. Heck, UA even gives away lifetime Global Services at 5 million, which is a pretty amazing benefit for those that are able to attain it.
Retroactively?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Retroactively?
meaning?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 4.1MM, HH Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by nrr
I got to over 2MM 95% from flying. Perhaps AA could modify awarding lifetime status by re-assessing* how one attained the miles in the MM bank; so if one reaches (say) 3MM based on BIS miles, that pax might get Plat Pro for life.
*My guess is that the re-evaluation process might be impossible for AAs tech people.
They could base lifetime status on a combination of MM and attained status over the years.... Hilton offers LT Diamond with 10 years qualifying for Diamond AND 1,000 paid nights if I am not mistaken....
Something like 10 years EXP and 5MM+ could make a lot of sense for LT EXP... Air France also has something like that (not really useful if you don't live in France though...): LT top status if you achieve top status 10 years in a row...
I know I'm dreaming here, but wouldn't that be nice?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
I like the responses here; thanks FT posters. Yes, it's good to cast a bit of shade on original poster, but also good discussion of that others do, what AA has done historically. Being realistic about these programs is important. These aren't discounts for flying, they are benefits. And, yes, I am one of those struggling to even achieve 1M on my money. I'll get there before I die!
Thx, posters, for keeping us grounded in this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yeah, and it was the BIS requirement for LT status
I remember one bonus that included trips starting in Nashville, and some other places. I think it was Nashville, may Raleigh...
Places I didn't usually go to. I got to the starting city, then booked other tickets starting from there I remember a trip that including going to SJU, then flying to SEA..
Fares were low and I was getting a very high upgrade percentage... I got a cheap roundtrip to Germany for Thanksgiving weekend, to have enough to earn the bonus at 125K miles.
I think you had a choice, and I chose 2 SWU's. Of, I had burned 2 SWUs to go to Germany. But the many RDMs were a bonus
The four cities in that amazing 3x promo in 2010 were RDU, PIT, BNA, and CLT. I think I earned something like 70K RDM for a PIT-ORD-DFW-NRT Run.

Clarification: I think people mentioning the 2009 quadruple earning might actually be talking about the vaunted “triple-doubles” from SFO/LAX/SAN-BOS? I did eight of those, each earning 10,444 EQM and 15,666 RDM. It was like a commuter train, seeing the same dozen or more faces on every ex-LAX redeye!

Last edited by noneemac; Feb 10, 2018 at 9:50 pm Reason: Fix typos
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
For those of us coming from the US side, only BIS miles have ever counted for lifetime status - and they needed to be BIS *on US* (not UA or LH or whatever). We never had the chance to rack them up with wildly generous offers. So, yeah, without a recalculation on the AA side, there will be a certain resentment if higher lifetime tiers are added.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Maybe they're waiting for all of those who raked in lifetime miles via CC spend to die off and then release lifetime status for 3MM, 4MM+?
Hopefully 40-50 years .
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:24 pm

From a business point of view, why would AA care much about what you did in the past? They are interested in future business they can lock-in.
You, (and I), are pretty much history. Oh, they still like us, just not a whole bunch.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Woofbite
From a business point of view, why would AA care much about what you did in the past? They are interested in future business they can lock-in.
You, (and I), are pretty much history. Oh, they still like us, just not a whole bunch.
I think there's value in giving future benefits for current loyalty. As frequent travelers retire and perhaps travel less, some might be more inclined to stay with AA for their leisure travel knowing they'll receive some basic benefits. If fares/routings are equal, having lifetime Gold status would sway me to the AA option.

Of course, AA could change/discontinue the lifetime program at any point, but for the meager amount it costs to give someone lifetime gold or platinum status (and especially with rolling EQD bumping infrequent lifetime elites to the bottom of the upgrade list), it's probably a good investment.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Might be hard but doable - IF they still have the data. AA might have purged it and only maintained the totals. The backup tapes may be gone as well.

The only reason Continental was able to go through and add up Lifetime Miles was that their IT contractor at the time (EDS) - told them that had all these backup tapes stored with all the FF data and it was possible to do. But likely expensive and it took a year to do. CO did not think they still had the data available. This then resulted in CO coming up with a good Lifetime program. And when merging with UA - UA had its data too.

I think AA would consider doing it if they could. But who knows - maybe they would not want to spend the money like CO did.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Gotta love those one-hit wonder posters like Jhanwell

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I hit LT Plat a long time ago and realized there was nothing more. So, I switched my loyalty to BA and am 1-2 years away from LT Gold on BA, which is equivalent to LT EXP (never thought about being a lifetime EVP as I'd rather be a lifetime CEO).
Agreed. I enjoy BA and try to fly them rather than AA if I have a choice between the two (which happens frequently, as LHR is my closest airport).

Going to be at 5MM on AA soon (vast majority BIS) and if there's still no LT program above Platinum then I'm jumping ship and going for LT Gold on BA ^
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:27 pm

In all honestly, it doesn't make sense to reward someone PLT/PPRO/EXP for life if they haven't spent a fraction of the time/money with their butt in a seat.
I'm at 23MM lifetime miles about to go 24MM and I'm in my mid 40's. I guess you'll have to wait a while then
I know that AA doesn't post total overall miles anymore but on a call with CK the agent said wow you're almost at 30MM total miles / 24MM lifetime miles.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by AAdmiral
I'm at 23MM lifetime miles about to go 24MM and I'm in my mid 40's. I guess you'll have to wait a while then
I know that AA doesn't post total overall miles anymore but on a call with CK the agent said wow you're almost at 30MM total miles / 24MM lifetime miles.
Theoretically, if you are 50 years old and started flying full-time at the age of 16, you would've had to fly 705,800+ miles BIS every year, for 36 years...

Were the majority of your miles earned through CC spend?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:36 am
Suspended

One word comes to mind...........................................mug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.