Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic A330's - when, where, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by redtop43
For me, generally it's a very desirable flight.

I'm retired, so the time isn't much of an issue. it's 2900 EQM's rather than 2200. There's little chance of a missed connection, because (a) it's a fairly long connection time (the only downside to me) and (b) if it's delayed out of PHL, I can probably switch to a nonstop. And if I book the PE seats as MCE, I'm effectively getting a first-class seat for just a few dollars over coach. (I'm gold, so I pay half the MCE surcharge, meaning about $40). Finally, I sleep late and I'm and hour and a half from the airport, so a 3:50PM departure is my sweet spot to get to PHL airport.

So for me its fine. The only downside is that it gets to Vegas a little later than I'd like. But who punches a clock in Vegas anyway?

Ok... Your pricing for the PHL-LAX-LAS vs. PHL-LAS trips is better explained with this posts. You're quoting the MCE price and not F. (An earlier post you made mentioned that you were going to splurge for F.) I too have a couple PHL runs I will be making this year and will be seeking to fly on the A332 both directions. Timing working out great for me on both ends. But the FC pricing is another issue (LOL). Better pricing if I time my return on the weekend instead of trying to dash back west Friday afternoon. I've always been able to have fun in PHL when I extend my stays. No need to high-tail it to SFO. No one punches a clock in PHL ever!!

Go Eagles!!!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nova08
Both PHL-LAX-PHL are timed to connect to a majority of PHL's transatlantic flights
You are totally correct.

I was looking at this for a TPAC Connection to HKG - it flat out sucks for that timing wise, but your point is valid for a leftcoasty going TATL it's very well timed.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
....... for a leftcoasty going TATL it's very well timed.
Roger that!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
You are totally correct.

I was looking at this for a TPAC Connection to HKG - it flat out sucks for that timing wise, but your point is valid for a leftcoasty going TATL it's very well timed.

Too bad it just doesn't work out well for us left coast types to head to/from HA before the aircraft is heading back to PHL from SFO bound for EU. I'm sure that would be a welcomed changed for us dedicated AA flyers that make it work for us on the west coast!!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Ok... Your pricing for the PHL-LAX-LAS vs. PHL-LAS trips is better explained with this posts. You're quoting the MCE price and not F. (An earlier post you made mentioned that you were going to splurge for F.) I too have a couple PHL runs I will be making this year and will be seeking to fly on the A332 both directions. Timing working out great for me on both ends. But the FC pricing is another issue (LOL). Better pricing if I time my return on the weekend instead of trying to dash back west Friday afternoon. I've always been able to have fun in PHL when I extend my stays. No need to high-tail it to SFO. No one punches a clock in PHL ever!!

Go Eagles!!!
No, the pricing of $1020 and $611 was F, which are actually the J seats. MCE is the coach price plus whatever surcharge you pay for MCE. For plat and higher, MCE is free and can be booked at purchase. For gold it's half-price at purchase or free at check-in. The coach prices to Vegas via LAX are comparable to the nonstop prices PHL-LAS, around $230-240. I normally wait until check-in to book MCE, but on the A332 there are two distinct types of seats designated MCE. Rows 6-8 are the overseas Premium Economy seats, comparable to domestic F, and the rest are coach seats with extra legroom. So I was saying I'd pay the extra $40 (I'm gold) to be sure of getting rows 6-8.

I did notice a bizarre pricing. I'm going to Vegas on November 11, although I'm not certain enough yet of my plans to book the flight. The regular economy fare was $216 while the basic economy fare was something like $230.

I think what's really going on here is that AA isn't set up for business and premium economy fares on domestic routes, and it's not worth it to them to create them for just a few flights. So biz is priced like F, and PE is priced like coach.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts discussing AA 763, 332,777, 788: 289 etc., more than one, or of a general nature have moved to HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.. (There, the Wikipost at the top of the page has links to all the specific aircraft and aircraft seating threads.)

The lovely A332 photos taken on the ground at LAX have been moved to the A332 thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I flew PHL-LAX on the 332 last week. They did something curious; we didn't come to a gate. We parked in a fairly remote section and then were deplaned by a multi-level ramp (at least avoiding issues of steps), then down to a small fleet of waiting buses that took us to Terminal 4.

I had wanted to take a closer look at the PE cabin and the MCE seats elsewhere, but I boarded too late to take a look around and when we landed I didn't want to wait for everyone else to deplane and end up at the back of the line of buses. I'll do that next trip, in early June.

I wouldn't pay $1K to fly PHL-LAX in this, but it definitely seems worthwhile when I'm connecting to PDX ($565) or LAS ($616), since I also get a seat up front on the connection.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
I flew PHL-LAX on the 332 last week. They did something curious; we didn't come to a gate. We parked in a fairly remote section and then were deplaned by a multi-level ramp (at least avoiding issues of steps), then down to a small fleet of waiting buses that took us to Terminal 4.

I had wanted to take a closer look at the PE cabin and the MCE seats elsewhere, but I boarded too late to take a look around and when we landed I didn't want to wait for everyone else to deplane and end up at the back of the line of buses. I'll do that next trip, in early June.

I wouldn't pay $1K to fly PHL-LAX in this, but it definitely seems worthwhile when I'm connecting to PDX ($565) or LAS ($616), since I also get a seat up front on the connection.
This happens with widebodies at LAX quite often when they will remain parked overnight in a remote location due to the lack of gate at T4 that can accommodate the larger planes. I did this 3 times last year when arriving on a 788 from ORD-LAX. I don't mind this since it gives you a pretty cool view of the plane and TBIT on the bus back to T4.
marnold3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.