Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
There were indeed rerouting options; they just were not necessarily good options and didn't work well with the OP's need to be somewhere that night instead of flying out the next day.
there were no flights the next day! All cancelled. The earliest they can get me on was 2 days later and even that they said would probably get cancelled because of the flight.
But again, i dont think this is the point of this thread.
The issue at hand is not being able to trust an airline with information they provide.

And no, nowhere did it say “you should still plan according to the original time” or “we might un-delay the flight”
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Instead of the airlines making such notifications more explicit so that non-veteran travelers better understand the situation, your solution is to fly private?
If air travel in 2018 is such a complicated issue apparently, yes. We're not talking about IRROPS or any other circumstances in which airlines (including AA) are constantly taking advantage of customers not knowing their rights - thus no sympathy points for pushing his luck getting to LGA.

Take it up against AA for customer rights where it's due.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckx2
If air travel in 2018 is such a complicated issue apparently, yes. We're not talking about IRROPS or any other circumstances in which airlines (including AA) are constantly taking advantage of customers not knowing their rights - thus no sympathy points for pushing his luck getting to LGA.
you, along with many on this thread keep going back to the “he should of gotten to LGA asap”, but what you are not undertanding is that i got to LGA with plenty of time to make my new departure time. So, the argument (once again) just boils down to one thing- i trusted AA’s information and it came back to bite me.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosandr

you, along with many on this thread keep going back to the “he should of gotten to LGA asap”, but what you are not undertanding is that i got to LGA with plenty of time to make my new departure time. So, the argument (once again) just boils down to one thing- i trusted AA’s information and it came back to bite me.
chalk it up to a life lesson learned the hard way. Mistake is made then learn something about it instead of trying to lay blame where you feel it should be as it does not solve any problem. File a SMC claim for your DL fares because DOT most likely would not help you when AA would not even give you some token miles for inconvenience. Your credit card MAY provide some insurance but I seriously doubt it in the circumstances we have been told so far. On top of that you will not get a dime back if you choose to dispute the DL tickets because DL has provided the service you paid for. No card issuer would side with you should you file a dispute,

In all seriousness, the issue boils down to some common sense to most people but obviously not to some.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cedric
The poster posted many cases of being told of a delay.
IE arriving at the restaurant and being told that the table would be an hour. That's a delay of an hour for a table.

Or the UPS example cited where, yes, UPS will send an email indicating a delay - and then the parcel arriving on time, anyway.

In that case, would you prefer that UPS hang on to the parcel for an extra day? Because at some point they expected that it would arrive that day, but then were able to expedite it? Your logic is absurd.
Physician, heal thyself. There's no downside to UPS delivering a package early after previously saying it might be delayed, at least if there's no signature required and one didn't change one's plans based on the notification.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
... On top of that you will not get a dime back if you choose to dispute the DL tickets because DL has provided the service you paid for. No card issuer would side with you should you file a dispute,

In all seriousness, the issue boils down to some common sense to most people but obviously not to some.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall the OP even hinting at disputing the Delta charges.

Anyway, we've been going in circles for days. I'm going to bow out here.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
chalk it up to a life lesson learned the hard way. Mistake is made then learn something about it instead of trying to lay blame where you feel it should be as it does not solve any problem. File a SMC claim for your DL fares because DOT most likely would not help you when AA would not even give you some token miles for inconvenience. Your credit card MAY provide some insurance but I seriously doubt it in the circumstances we have been told so far. On top of that you will not get a dime back if you choose to dispute the DL tickets because DL has provided the service you paid for. No card issuer would side with you should you file a dispute,

of course i wouldnt dispute this with the credit card company! Its not their fault nor is it Deltas fault. You make me sound like an unreasonable person.
I do appreciate the suggestion about “SMC claim” because until you mentioned it i had no idea what that is (i just googled it and now i know). By the way, this is the reason i started this thread to begin with- to get suggestions/advice, so thank you.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The point is that we all have to learn how to operate in a reality that we really have no ability to change. Airlines gonna fly them jets when they say so, not when you want them to.

In any event, based on the information you had that day, I - having dealt with this nonsense too many times - would have made different decisions than you did.
C17PSGR, Happy and ckx2 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Really? UPS and FedEx send notifications that packages will be a day late but then deliver them a day early? I've never had that happen a single time.

. . .
I never said I received a notification that a package would be a day late. Please re-read my statement.

In other words, I will receive an initial tracking notification that a package will arrive on a Thursday. Then the package arrives on a Wednesday. This has happened numerous times in the past 18 months.

I'm going to tag out of this thread. It's to the point that there appears to be no movement.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do appreciate the suggestion about “SMC claim” because until you mentioned it i had no idea what that is (i just googled it and now i know). By the way, this is the reason i started this thread to begin with- to get suggestions/advice, so thank you.
I assume you're referring to Small Claims Court, not Special Monthly Compensation for Veterans?
I suggested the former in post 48 four days ago...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
I never said I received a notification that a package would be a day late. Please re-read my statement.

In other words, I will receive an initial tracking notification that a package will arrive on a Thursday. Then the package arrives on a Wednesday. This has happened numerous times in the past 18 months.
If you weren't advised that the package was delayed, then how is it analogous to the situation being discussed? Nobody here complains if they get on a plane and it arrives 20 minutes ahead of schedule.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

As I have posted, the notification I last received from AA about a delay also indicated the time was "subject to change"
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Really? UPS and FedEx send notifications that packages will be a day late but then deliver them a day early? I've never had that happen a single time.
DHL and FedEx did this to me constantly this past Christmas season. I was missing package deliveries left and right. Come to think of it, back in the day, my high school once cancelled school for snow and then rescinded the cancellation only to delay first period by an hour. It was a lightly attended school day. Point is, this is not unique to the airline world.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike2K

DHL and FedEx did this to me constantly this past Christmas season. I was missing package deliveries left and right. Come to think of it, back in the day, my high school once cancelled school for snow and then rescinded the cancellation only to delay first period by an hour. It was a lightly attended school day. Point is, this is not unique to the airline world.
You don't say.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
You don't say.
And classes went on, just like this flight. The students who missed had to make up the work on the next school day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.