Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by craz
I dont have enough fingers and toes to count the # of times my flight was delayed by at least an hour, and ended up leaving on time. Either they found a part they needed, found a work around, used a plane that wasnt full going elsewhere instead, etc etc

yea it stinks when it actually departs at the new later time and I sit around wasting my time, but 1- Id rather be informed 2- I dont want to go thru what the OP did

OP made some major mistakes besides not arriving as if it wasnt delayed. 1m is never do anything on your own that you dont want to end up coming out of your own pocket. to avoid that a person must get the carrier to put in the PNR what ever alternative plans was agreed to , if none were then assume its all on your own dime when I think I might end up holding teh bag , I look for every possible work around, so Id ask AA which carriers do you still work with and whats the closest airport you can get me into, I might have to spring for a 1 way rental car but it should cost alot less then a tkt would especially x2

Even thou I will get there as if there wasnt a delay,I still want the alerts so I can have backup plans should the flight be CXed or an extensive delay
Okay, I chose to quote this one because I don't always agree with Craz. But, in this case, I do, with an explanation. That is, the system works pretty well for those of us who are experts. I would not want a system where they don't post a delay until after it has happened, because I can OFTEN read between the lines, make alternative plans, etc. But I DO think that the OP here is being reasonable. That is, if you see the app tell you there is a 1 hour delay, even with the note that says "we suggest you show up on time, you never know how lucky we might get" it isn't unreasonable to wait a while. (FOR THOSE WHO DISAGREE - Do you all go to the airport on time even when you get a notification that your flight has been delayed 18 hours and you see, from your tracker, that the plane still hasn't left LHR to get to LAX?). My point is, this is one of those times where there isn't a great answer that works for experts and for novices.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may not be responsible for the medical appointment, but it should be accountable where people act based on information which it gives to them ; unfortunately I don't think that it will accept responsibility for its actions and the passenger will just have to pay the $750

Fortunately, airlines that I tend to travel on , do not send notification of a delay and then change their minds

I know that this is how AA works and would act accordingly if I got a notification from AA, but I think it is a very poor approach and is on par , quality wise, with it pretending flights are going to be on time when they are not
Is this the real Dave Noble, the same one who reads the COC literally and says that people should have no expectation of getting seats they think they paid for? I am surprised to see your sudden compassion, especially since nothing in the COC supports your position here. (This is all said with a smile, noting that it does seem to be a different viewpoint than your usual.)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate all the feedback.
At the end of the day this conversation is not about when i arrived at the airport (because like i said, we got to the airport with enough time for our new departure time). The problem is that we got straight-up false information from the airline and the lady at check-in couldn't even see in her system that there was ever a delay to begin with. Plus, we tried to call the airline as soon as we go the first notification (that the flight was delayed to 6:20pm) but there was an over 2 hour wait to speak with a rep and we had no reason to doubt the delay.
Also, everyone is saying that since we fly this route a lot we should have seen it coming. We've never had an experience where we received wrong information about a delay or where a delay was pushed back to the original time (again, thats not something you can expect people to know will happen).
Precisely because there was a storm coming, we were concerned that the flight would keep getting pushed off so we wanted to make sure there were no more delays past the 6:55pm before heading to the airport.
Since people are bringing it up, in general we would give it more time at the airport just to be safe but dragging a pregnant wife to sit in the airport for who knows how long is just not the right thing to do.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoPhils

but the “average person,” and even moreso a novice traveler, probably arrives at LGA sooner than 1 hour prior to what they believe is the departure time.
Again, i dont think it is fair to make this conversation about what time we arrived to the airport. I arrived with enough time to make my new departure time. Thats all that should mayter. The issue at hand is how the airline can norify travelers that there is a delay and then just change that at the last minute with total disregard for any passenger that may have actually taken the airlines notifications seriously.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I have also delayed going to the airport after getting a message from AA
However, in reviewing my latest email about a delay, it does say "Please note that times and locations are subject to change."
Given that, I think it is fair to assume you need to be at the airport a the original time to be protected if the flight leaves early, especially if you have something important scheduled

it never said anything about times being subject to change. It didnt say it in the App or in the text message. Maybe it says that in an email (like some posters have suggested) but i did not receive an email! Only a sms message and info from the App
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP simply does not accept several simple facts:

1. The contract he agreed to when he purchased the tickets expressly required him to be at the gate no later than T-15. He was not.
2. Despite numerous intervening posts and data from FlightAware, OP continues to maintain that AA and specifically the counter agent, provided false or conflicting information (depending on which of OP's posts one relies on). In fact, the delay expanded and then contracted and was ultimately eliminated over the course of the afternoon. Unless OP has information to the contrary, e.g. that when he checked in at the counter, the delay was "X" minutes but it was really "Y" there is simply no basis for the assertion.

If OP's tickets are standard discounted penalty fares, he is entitled to a credit for each ticket less $200 per ticket, which he may use for future travel. If AA chooses as a customer service gesture, it may waive the $200 per ticket penalty and issue a full credit or it may even refund the tickets in full or less the penalty to OP's original form of payment.

This can keep going round and round and round again, but it is the norm for domestic US travel and is, with some exceptions, a fairly worldwide practice.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP simply does not accept several simple facts:

1. The contract he agreed to when he purchased the tickets expressly required him to be at the gate no later than T-15. He was not.
2. Despite numerous intervening posts and data from FlightAware, OP continues to maintain that AA and specifically the counter agent, provided false or conflicting information (depending on which of OP's posts one relies on). In fact, the delay expanded and then contracted and was ultimately eliminated over the course of the afternoon. Unless OP has information to the contrary, e.g. that when he checked in at the counter, the delay was "X" minutes but it was really "Y" there is simply no basis for the assertion.

If OP's tickets are standard discounted penalty fares, he is entitled to a credit for each ticket less $200 per ticket, which he may use for future travel. If AA chooses as a customer service gesture, it may waive the $200 per ticket penalty and issue a full credit or it may even refund the tickets in full or less the penalty to OP's original form of payment.

This can keep going round and round and round again, but it is the norm for domestic US travel and is, with some exceptions, a fairly worldwide practice.

1. I was on schedule to arrive at the gate much more than 15 minutes prior to my (new) arrival time.
2. Im still not fully understanding why when an airline gives their customer information regarding a flight it shouldnt be trusted. I can understand that relying on a third party app (like kayak flight tracker) is not something i can complain about but this was AA’s actual app! As well as an sms from AA that ive recieve many times in the past and was always able to rely on. I had no reason to not trust a notification i was getting from the company i am traveling with.
Try to think of it in any other industry- if i made a reservantion at restaurant for 7:00pm and at around 5:00pm i get a message from the restaurant that they need to push my arrival off to 7:30pm, why should i not be able to rely on that?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by joe_miami
In other words, you don't care about other people missing flights because you were already at the airport anyway.
No, I don't.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by yosandr
My wife and I had a flight on 1/3/18. It was originally scheduled to depart at 5:59pm. I got a notification from American Airlines that our flight was delayed until 6:20pm. I immediately checked the status on the AA app and saw that we were in fact delayed. Soon after, I got text message that our flight was delayed until 6:55 pm. As we got these confirmations, we pushed off heading to the airport. On our way to the airport, I checked the app again, and it kept switching departure times between 5:59 and 6:55. We decided to call the airline to double check and were told there was a 2+ hour wait to speak to a representative. The automated service did say the flight was on time, but the app was still reading as delayed. We arrived at the airport to find that our flight was never delayed and had already departed. The lady at the counter tried to find a later flight for us, but nothing was available until at least Friday. My wife is 7 months pregnant, and had a doctors appointment on 1/4/18 at our destination, so we could not wait. We asked about getting on the next Delta flight, and the agent told us AA has no agreement with Delta. We were forced to pay over $750 one way that night with Delta. Usually, we have TSA Precheck, but did not qualify because we booked so close to departure. Additionally, I have an AAdvantage card and had counted on getting two free bags, but was forced to pay the fee for both of them with Delta. All of this on top of my pregnant wife and I having to traipse across the airport after being massively disappointed by American.

I do not understand how American Airlines can mess up so badly. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What do you think we should do? The rep did say we would probably be refunded for our original tickets (we booked them with British Avios miles so who knows if this is even possible), but we are now left with a $800 bill from Delta.
I’m genuinely sorry for your plight.

Having said that, those notices are more for convenience than a reason to delay going to the airport proceeding to your gate. AA has been known to be incorrect in these notices, AA can divert or substitute another available aircraft and get the flight out on time. If you’re not at the gate by T-15 (referencing the original time of departure), you can abd most likely will be dropped from the manifest and standbys, etc. accommodated. Aftervthst AA can extend “flat tire rule” reaccommodated to you, but it’s not required to. I’m not apologizing for AA, nor do I necessarily agree with AA policy and tiles, but I am stating what they are regardless.

I’d always advise passengers to be on time unless they’ve been told by official means the flight has been cancelled and they’re being reaccommodated. (I’d probably consider a delay announcement credible if from a lounge, gate or counter agent.) I’d double up on that advice for an important event or meeting.

You can try pleading your case with AA, as AA sent you texted or emailed notices, etc. with incorrect information, or try a charge back your credit card - either may, or may not, work.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 7, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum

1. I was on schedule to arrive at the gate much more than 15 minutes prior to my (new) arrival time.
2. Im still not fully understanding why when an airline gives their customer information regarding a flight it shouldnt be trusted. I can understand that relying on a third party app (like kayak flight tracker) is not something i can complain about but this was AA’s actual app! As well as an sms from AA that ive recieve many times in the past and was always able to rely on. I had no reason to not trust a notification i was getting from the company i am traveling with.
Try to think of it in any other industry- if i made a reservantion at restaurant for 7:00pm and at around 5:00pm i get a message from the restaurant that they need to push my arrival off to 7:30pm, why should i not be able to rely on that?
OP - welcome to flyertalk!

My suggestion would be to take this up with AA (if you have not already done so), rather than investing further time trying to answer questions / opinions raised by fellow flyertalkers on this thread. After all, they are not the ones who will decide what AA does in this case. I see this often happening on flyertalk where the original poster tries to convince fellow flyertalkers as if they are the decision makers.
JDiver, justhere and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

2. Im still not fully understanding why when an airline gives their customer information regarding a flight it shouldnt be trusted.
Because things can and do change. They give you the best information they have at the time because that is what most people want.

If they announce a delay, then whatever was wrong gets fixed sooner rather than later, I would much prefer the flight to leave sooner rather than later. That gives me a better chance of making my connection at the destination airport, making my business meeting, getting home in time for dinner, etc. I would be really ticked off if they said "We are ready to go, but must delay the flight because we announced a delay and some passengers are relying on that announcement to get to the airport later, stay in the lounge longer, etc.".

In your original post, I got as far as this:

It was originally scheduled to depart at 5:59pm. I got a notification from American Airlines that our flight was delayed until 6:20pm. I immediately checked the status on the AA app and saw that we were in fact delayed. Soon after, I got text message that our flight was delayed until 6:55 pm.
I said to myself, "Oh, no, that short of a delay should not mean the passenger should change their airport arrival time at all." Delays of a half hour or hour are nothing, and are often fixed sooner than they estimated. Then I went to read how you delayed your departure for the airport based on that delay and without even getting to the end of the message I knew it would turn out badly.

You say you didn't want your pregnant wife to have to sit around waiting a long time. But, instead, you ran the risk of missing the last flight of the day and having to scramble to find a new flight that would get her back in time for her medical appt.

Had I been a 7-month pregnant woman and heard from my husband "We can wait here in the hotel another hour because our flight is delayed", I would have said "Buddy, you can wait if you like. I'm going to the airport because I really don't want to miss that flight.".
TWA884 and Lost like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raj_cl
OP - welcome to flyertalk!

My suggestion would be to take this up with AA (if you have not already done so), rather than investing further time trying to answer questions / opinions raised by fellow flyertalkers on this thread. After all, they are not the ones who will decide what AA does in this case. I see this often happening on flyertalk where the original poster tries to convince fellow flyertalkers as if they are the decision makers.
you are 100% correct.
I have already taken this up with AA and tje repsonse i got so far was pretty lame. First they asked me send them screenshots showing the notifications that i received, so i sent them those right away. Then, this morning i received this from them-

Dear (my name):

Thank you for providing the requested screenshots.

I can well imagine how frustrating it was to arrive at the airport to travel, only to discover that your flight had already left. I can appreciate that your disappointment was only exacerbated by the fact that you had been previously notified that the flight was going to depart later than scheduled. I'm deeply sorry for the associated inconveniences.

We make every effort to advise our customers of any schedule changes prior to their arrival at the airport via Flight Status Notification, telephoning you, or sending a message to your travel agent. However, it is recommended that you meet airport check-in requirements for the originally scheduled departure time. While a flight may be delayed, our goal is to ultimately depart on time or as close to the scheduled departure time as possible. Accordingly, a revised departure time is only an estimation and changing operational conditions may result in our ability to depart sooner than first estimated. Again, we are sorry for any misunderstanding about your arrival at the airport for your scheduled flight. I have documented and shared the details of your experience.

(My name), Thank you for contacting us. We know your time is valuable, and we'll do our best to get you to where you are going as planned the next time you fly with us. Please give us that opportunity soon.

I think that this repsonse from them is ridiculous. I have filed a complaint with the DOT and the reaosn i keep responding to this thread is because there are some reasonable people to be found here. The same cannot be said for AA unfortunately
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Would you or would you not go to the airport at 11:00 pm if the airline tells you the flight is delayed until 9:00 am?
Of course not. But I would confirm with the airline first.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Because things can and do change. They give you the best information they have at the time because that is what most people want.

If they announce a delay, then whatever was wrong gets fixed sooner rather than later, I would much prefer the flight to leave sooner rather than later. That gives me a better chance of making my connection at the destination airport, making my business meeting, getting home in time for dinner, etc. I would be really ticked off if they said "We are ready to go, but must delay the flight because we announced a delay and some passengers are relying on that announcement to get to the airport later, stay in the lounge longer, etc.".

In your original post, I got as far as this:

I said to myself, "Oh, no, that short of a delay should not mean the passenger should change their airport arrival time at all." Delays of a half hour or hour are nothing, and are often fixed sooner than they estimated. Then I went to read how you delayed your departure for the airport based on that delay and without even getting to the end of the message I knew it would turn out badly.

You say you didn't want your pregnant wife to have to sit around waiting a long time. But, instead, you ran the risk of missing the last flight of the day and having to scramble to find a new flight that would get her back in time for her medical appt.

Had I been a 7-month pregnant woman and heard from my husband "We can wait here in the hotel another hour because our flight is delayed", I would have said "Buddy, you can wait if you like. I'm going to the airport because I really don't want to miss that flight.".
again, how am i supposed to know that “delays of half hour or an hour are mothing and often fixed..”?! That might be reasonable for a traveler who has experienced that kind of situation before, but i did not have reason to suspect this. Obviously, now i know for the future not to trust delays but we are not talking about the future. How we so we make sure that other reasonable travelers who listen to the airlines updated delays dont get screwed?
As for the pregnant angle, i guess every woman is different, mine preffered to not have to potentially spend hours in the airport only to eventually have the flight cancelled.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Of course not. But I would confirm with the airline first.

there was a 2+ hour wait to talk to an AA rep! Not so easy to “confirm” when there is no one to talk to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.