Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This was apparently the only flight of the day, or the last flight of the day, available to OP. In such a circumstance, no reasonable person — and certainly no person who travels infrequently — would get a delay notification straight from the airline but then assume it will be revoked without enough time to recover.
Then it's your call whether you want to gamble.

Sometimes I *do* gamble and show up at the later time. But I recognize there are potential consequences for doing so.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Or.. people see the delay and adjust accordingly. Say you are visiting Disneyland. You book the 6 AM because it is half the price of the later flights. Your flight posts a 4 hour delay, you smile, go back to bed and show up for a flight at 10. Not wake up at 3:30 and sit at the airport assuming it moves back up. Or most people don't know what they can or can't do regarding changing flights - or don't want to with a family of four.

IMO, the above is what most people do. Non road warriors.
Sure, I *might* do that, knowing that the risk is missing the 1st day at Disneyland. It would probably depend on where I was flying from, how many other flights there were, and how hard it looked like it would be to get 4 people through a standby list.

Some intra-CA route? Go back to sleep. If you screw up and miss your flight you're still getting down there that day. Flying in from Europe? Maybe not...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Because passengers get annoyed and complain if you don't tell them either.

What a number of other airlines do (and what AA should do) for minor delays is provide you the update in the App but make very clear that the delay may be reduced and you should still get to the airport for the original check-in/gate closure times. That way the passenger knows that if they want to arrive late, they do so at their own risk. Only if the airline is sure that the delay will go beyond a certain time do they send out an update saying arrive later and check-in is extended.
One problem with this is that when there are major weather events or other situations that have a major effect on an airport, local airport authorities and/or the local media (especially local TV news broadcasts) tend to very explicitly tell people to check with their airline BEFORE going to the airport, often adding that if your flight is cancelled or delayed, you should NOT go to the airport.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sure, I *might* do that, knowing that the risk is missing the 1st day at Disneyland. It would probably depend on where I was flying from, how many other flights there were, and how hard it looked like it would be to get 4 people through a standby list.

Some intra-CA route? Go back to sleep. If you screw up and miss your flight you're still getting down there that day. Flying in from Europe? Maybe not...
The first line is the issue - that is something you, me or FTers will do. The majority don't know they can, how to or what a standby list even is.

I just disagree with the characterization of calling someone who missed a delayed flight that got advanced with no notice, as having screwed up.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I find this his thread confusing. Delays are made up all the time. Unless there is some massive issue (strike, hurricane) where the airline tells you not to show up, assume you should be at the gate at the announced boarding time. Otherwise it’s at your own risk.
pinniped likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The sheer amount of nonsense in this thread truly is a sight to see.

Yesterday there were 10:00 am JFK-LAX flights that were delayed to an "estimated" 4:00 pm before ultimately being canceled. The Veteran Travelers™ here are seriously telling us that pax still needed to be sitting at the gate at 9:30 am?

LOL.
I can't speak for everyone else, but to me a posted delay of 6hrs is completely different than a posted delay of 30 min. Yes, maybe you need to be an experienced flyer to recognize the difference, but to live is to learn, right?

Moreover, I think AA did take responsibility in this situation in that it tried to confirm OP on the next available flight, which in fact, by just looking at the schedule and disregarding the fact that flights might have already been sold out, happens to be this afternoon. AA can't control the fact that a bad winter storm was approaching as of Wednesday afternoon, or that OP needed to be in CMH on Thursday morning.

Honestly, in my mind, to say that AA must stick to every posted delay is the "nonsense."
flyalways likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
It is not irrelevant that there is a delay. "Departure" scheduled departure. The departure has been delayed. I interpret that as being scheduled to depart at 10:45, but is now delayed and scheduled to depart at 11:18. What doesn't make sense is if the flight is delayed 3+ hours that I am expected to be at the airport at the original scheduled time. I believe AA agrees because I am able to check in after the original scheduled time without problems.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...footer?#delays

The second part though is relevant and what causes customers problems in scenarios like this:

I would like to see a possible rule that no flight may board until the schedule has been changed. There is no excuse to go from 2 hour delay to departing in 5 minutes. I do not believe it takes a long time to make an update that will push to the app and the monitors that boarding will commence now.
You are free to interpret anything anyway you wish. You will simply find that if you had done so in OP's situation that you would have missed your flight and faced waiting for the next availability or purchasing a later flight on DL. Entirely your choice.

Same thing for the people who suggest that they are required to wait at the gate for 4 hours. They are not. They are free to show up at T+3:45 and board, unless there was a further change.

The notion that AA ought to keep the information secret is absurd.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

So if a flight is showing as delayed from 11:30 pm to 8:15 the following morning, some of you folks actually believe that I'm supposed to sit in the airport all night? Not. Happening.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lupine
So if a flight is showing as delayed from 11:30 pm to 8:15 the following morning, some of you folks actually believe that I'm supposed to sit in the airport all night? Not. Happening.
You're obviously not a Veteran Traveler™.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by lupine
I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread actually would actually suggest you sit in the airport all night. I'm not sure where you got that.

People seem to be confusing the typical late-afternoon LaGuardia congestion delays with major systemwide delays caused by hurricanes or winter storms.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:08 pm

The flip side of not delaying until the last minute happened to me in CLT heading to FWA. No delay, plane arrives at gate early for the inbound. RJ so normal boarding is only 20 min out from departure, so no real concern with 30 min to departure passed. Then at 10 to departure, delays 15 minutes, minor maint, ok, no big deal, I'm sitting next to the DTW gate, and TOL is 2 over, as I live more or less centered between the 3, I regularly fly from all 3, so I really don't care which I go to, I'm getting picked up, no car to have at the wrong airport.

DTW departs, 15 min becomes 30, TOL departs, then delay to 4.5 hours, I'm expecting cancel at this point, so check on the next flight to FWA which was 5 hours out. But next DTW is only 40 minutes out. Get the last seat to DTW. Landing in DTW, the original flight was bumped back up to delayed by 3 hours, but still sitting on the ground in CLT. Could have been on either of the first two DTW or TOL flights, both were half empty, all standby cleared, but no delay until too late to do anything about it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:04 pm

you wanted AA to make 100 strangers needlessly late?

what exactly do you want AA to do when AA realizes that the flight doesn’t need to be 1 hour delayed anymore?

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
You have an important flight for an important event, you get to the airport early unless you are 100% sure you don't need to be. A little common sense prevents big problems.
I'll repeat what i already said many times-
When an airline tells its customer that their flight is delayed, "common sense" (which is what you are asking for) is to listen to the airline because they probably know best, no?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by yosandr
I'll repeat what i already said many times-
When an airline tells its customer that their flight is delayed, "common sense" (which is what you are asking for) is to listen to the airline because they probably know best, no?
It should be. And ridiculous as it is, now you know that they can turn it around on you at a moment's notice.

I would think, and as was suggested by someone upthread, make a claim against them for your out of pocket expenses (if you have screenshots and such) in Small Claims court.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
you wanted AA to make 100 strangers needlessly late?

what exactly do you want AA to do when AA realizes that the flight doesn’t need to be 1 hour delayed anymore?

The idea that a flight can be un-delayed is akin to arguing a bell can be un-rung. Once an airline tells people the flight is delayed, that should be it, unless all passengers are accounted for and/or unless there are other reasonable rebooking options within a few hours thereafter for any stragglers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.