Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of 77W

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I had 7L I think on the Zodiac this past year -- the rear-facing unconnected "bulkhead" seat in the second cabin, and thought it was totally fine for a redeye/sleeping and actually pretty private as your head is away from the aisle. Obviously the motion issue in other seats could be huge, and then I think the other drawback particularly on day flights is less "counter space" in the seat due to the yin-yang configuration. The benefit is your feet aren't in a cubby, but on a day flight I like the space to spread my stuff out. The 77W and 772 Super Diamond both have that.

In any event, I image by T-3 months the schedule should be fixed in terms of 77W vs. 772, but with the 772 you never do know what you'll really get. I think you can tell from the seat map that if it has 12 rows of J you'll be getting Zodiac, but with 10 rows it could be either, and I would imagine that is subject to substitution until the last minute.
7L is my favorite seat when the configuration is Zodiac. Very quiet and private.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, that is simply not accurate.

If you are booked in business class on a plane with a lie-flat and it switches to one without one, you are entitled to a free flight change (not sure if that's an official AA policy, but AA will do it without problem). But the 772s all have lie flats now. No free change (or, in this case, no forcing award availability).
Yes, it is accurate, more or less.
Details about equipment substitutions are all over the International Tariff, and entitle the passenger to a free change (but must pay fare difference) or a refund. Still not clear about forcing award availability though.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:30 am

I got an aagent to force availability for this exact reason, on these exact routes last summer. Ended up getting screwed by AA because all the LAX-LHR flights that day were oversold and they downgrade award tickets first.

Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by stephem
This is actually one of the biggest problems with booking International first class on American, especially if you do it six or eight months in advance. They have been playing around with where they put the 77W planes and between those various cities and London you can wind up with first tickets and no effective way to fly the route you want. I somewhat regret having my family of five on a flight in first with American this summer, where we pick up the 77W in London and take it to LAX. It’s not until August 16, and I now fully expect that our particular flight won’t have the 77W on it by the time that flight rolls around.
Which is exactly why I chose to book F on BA on a trip between LAX and LHR last summer. No worries about whether F will disappear and less risk (IME) of a crappy crew. Had great flights on the A380.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobo411
I got an aagent to force availability for this exact reason, on these exact routes last summer. Ended up getting screwed by AA because all the LAX-LHR flights that day were oversold and they downgrade award tickets first.
Were you booked in F? I would imagine AA a bit more willing to accommodate a pax that was downgraded than just a straight swap because of equipment type, but I don't know how much discretion individual agents have.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Stripe
Which is exactly why I chose to book F on BA on a trip between LAX and LHR last summer. No worries about whether F will disappear and less risk (IME) of a crappy crew. Had great flights on the A380.
The A380 has an excellent F product IMO, but not everyone is prepared to pay the exorbitant YQ charges (and the APD if it’s out of the UK) to fly BA.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, that is simply not accurate.

If you are booked in business class on a plane with a lie-flat and it switches to one without one, you are entitled to a free flight change (not sure if that's an official AA policy, but AA will do it without problem). But the 772s all have lie flats now. No free change (or, in this case, no forcing award availability).
This is my understanding as well, though I wouldn't be surprised if you get an agent that makes the change on an award even though not required. On a cash booking I believe the only official waiver is of the change fee, but you owe any potential fare difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.