Wiki Posts
Search

High Spend No Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
High Spend No Status

Didn't realize quite how many short notice short distance flights I had this year but I logged in to see this -
$6,837 PQD
19,818 EQM
24 EQS

Pretty darn bad for me and pretty darn good for AA. So anyone else out there in boarding group 'S' for sucker next year???
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
same. 3k spend, only 16k eqm .. boarded so many regionals this year.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
Seems like Southwest might be a decent program for you if all of that is domestic. Your not going to get an Upgrade even as a gold, and with that Spend you would actually get decent status with them (so early boarding group etc) and a lot more usable redemption miles.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i bet you had to fly anyways. you dont really have any choice.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
8383 EQD
25271 EQM
38 EQS

Would have barely made gold, but did a PLAT challenge back in June. Started the every other week phx/sjc commute back in april. That has to be the worst value for close in bookings at $550 - $750 r/t.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:54 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
This reinforces my belief that the Plat/PlatPro/Exec Plat ranks will be much thinner next year in comparison to this year. Gold, on the other hand, will be heavily saturated. As a gold with minimal spend over the past 12 calendar months, I do get upgrades on some late night flights on routes that are dominated by other airlines. That's about the extent of my luck. Though I did get a JFK-LAS upgrade at the gate for me and a companion on a Thursday morning earlier this year.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm not sure any of the numbers posted really qualify as "high spend".

I actually think the requirements are very reasonable, maybe even generous. They have kept spend requirements relatively low so that corporate flyers who have to travel on discounted rates can still qualify.
aztimm likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, BA
EQD: 3205
EQM: 21,011
EQS: 10

All travel in the highest available class of service on AA/BA including intercontinental F, with the exception of one sector which was in intercontinental J.(four class).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
Was thinking the same! my last flight was $8,500 alone!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don't take this the wrong way, but $7,000 in 12 months is not 'high spend'. If you bought a dozen or so $7,000 business class fares in the year, that might be different. AA is not making any real money from your business.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I have no idea why airlines even bother with the mileage component. Cash is king and all that matters.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by emh210
Was thinking the same! my last flight was $8,500 alone!
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Don't take this the wrong way, but $7,000 in 12 months is not 'high spend'.
This might not be "high spend" by Flyertalk chest-thumping standards, but remember that AA media day stat? 87% of their customers fly once a year, and the other 13% represent 50% of AA's revenues. Assuming there's even a modest ramp-up from once a year to $7K, that would put OP in the top 10% of AA revenue generators, which I think makes their contribution more than inconsequential in objective terms.
Pasqualle7 and ashill like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by RupertC
EQD: 3205
EQM: 21,011
EQS: 10

All travel in the highest available class of service on AA/BA including intercontinental F, with the exception of one sector which was in intercontinental J.(four class).
Intercontinental F and only 3k in spend?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Intercontinental F and only 3k in spend?
and TATL is usually 3,000+ miles, with J and F multiplier, one segment is at least 6,000 EQM. Even half of them on BA F/J with 1.5 multiplier, 10 segments make it 52,500 EQM....
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
On a per mile basis, ~33 cents per mile for all Y class travel is pretty high. I did manage to burn a couple of certs for an upgrade one time, but it was a fluke. This route usually has at least 25% of the coach cabin on the waitlist for one of the 8 F seats.

I am actually grateful for the miles earned based on fare rather than miles flown as it does build up the account balance faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.