Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Based AAdvantage Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I have the Barclaycard Hilton Visa and have not received notification that it is ending.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlsw7
I have the Barclaycard Hilton Visa and have not received notification that it is ending.
That is good news. But for a card stopped accepting new application for so long, it is not a good news.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, like others, I also received the same letter. Further letter to be sent before 15 June to let us know how this affects our accounts. I think we know that!!
Ditto. It was always another way to supplement miles in addition to BA amex for me. Not that fussed in terms of AA as I don't particularly like the carrier. That said if not replaced with another i will find a way to burn my mile's I guess. Am sure s reasonable replacement will come along 🤔🤔
Old May 17, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by jlsw7
This is a real blow. Since the change to revenue based earning on AA, this is how I earn most of my AA miles. I would hope that there would be a new AA credit card in the UK, albeit that it will probably be a visa or mastercard at no more than 1 mile per £. Credit card miles seems to be a core part of the Aadvantage programme overall and the UK must surely be AA's second or third (Canada?) biggest market. Fingers crossed that there will be a new card with a nice sign up bonus!

If there is no new AA card, what will you switch to? BA Amex? Hilton Visa?
MBNA United?

AA is telling its UK-based customers: We've already cut down on your earnings with actual flights. We know you have less use for domestic upgrades, so we have halved the annual system-wide ones for EXPs. If you haven't already got the hint, here it is — we don't need you anymore!

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; May 17, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
MBNA United?

AA is telling its UK-based customers: We've already cut down on your earnings with actual flights. We know you have less use for domestic upgrades, so we have halved the annual system-wide ones for EXPs. If you haven't already got the hint, here it is — we don't need you anymore!
Completely agree. AA is signalling to UK based AA customers to fly BA, use BA's loyalty programme, and earn their non-flying miles using BA's credit cards.
holmedown likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RupertC
Completely agree. AA is signalling to UK based AA customers to fly BA, use BA's loyalty programme, and earn their non-flying miles using BA's credit cards.
I thought the credit card thing has something to do with an EU legislation comes into place this year makes the current credit card structure unsustainable. Many Co branded credit card no longer accept new applicants. Barclay cards exited several arlgreement now only offers its own credit card portfolio.

I am sure one day AA will reintroduce a credit card in UK if there is demand and suitable structure and suitors. But sadly I think this is going to be a difficult time with the ongoing legislation issues in EU and the UK.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Platinum, Occasional EXP, Hilton Gold VIP, Hertz President's C.
kallistos

Just for the record. I am a UK citizen/ resident with a home and a bank account etc in the US. I also have a tax number (equivalent to a Social Security number). Last year I applied for the CITI Aadvantage card. I was turned down. Apparently one needs full US residency, although they gave me no reason apart from saying that they could not establish my credit status, This despite a healthy enough bank balance and credit card with Bank of America.

My world-wide credit score was then significantly diminished for a period of months. (Now back to 999!)

I currently have the UK MBNA Amex/Visa credit cards and my wife (but not I!) has received notice of termination.

Last edited by kallistos; May 17, 2018 at 5:15 pm Reason: Forgot important point
Old May 18, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by chongcao
It has been closed for new applications for three months now. It has disappeared from Barclaycards and Hilton page for at least the same period of time. Other than that I have no other information on when the partnership would end (I assume soon or already? A big question mark here).
Definitely won't be putting any more money on that then as we used all our points a while back so would be building up from scratch.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by kallistos
Just for the record. I am a UK citizen/ resident with a home and a bank account etc in the US. I also have a tax number (equivalent to a Social Security number). Last year I applied for the CITI Aadvantage card. I was turned down. Apparently one needs full US residency, although they gave me no reason apart from saying that they could not establish my credit status, This despite a healthy enough bank balance and credit card with Bank of America.

My world-wide credit score was then significantly diminished for a period of months. (Now back to 999!)

I currently have the UK MBNA Amex/Visa credit cards and my wife (but not I!) has received notice of termination.
Frustrating because the American cards often have great sign up bonuses.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:55 am

Head for points has an update.

I'm going to apply for a Starwood card. Seems as best as we will get.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...comment-257269
Old May 18, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
The Starwood Amex may well be something to do anyway. But, I don't give up hope of a new card appearing. I had the AA Citi visa (1 mile per £1) and that was withdrawn a few years ago. I think it was then quite some time before the AA MBNA card was announced. Aadvantage seems keen on credit card link-ups, so why not here in the UK too?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
I thought the credit card thing has something to do with an EU legislation comes into place this year makes the current credit card structure unsustainable. Many Co branded credit card no longer accept new applicants. Barclay cards exited several arlgreement now only offers its own credit card portfolio.

I am sure one day AA will reintroduce a credit card in UK if there is demand and suitable structure and suitors. But sadly I think this is going to be a difficult time with the ongoing legislation issues in EU and the UK.
Could you elaborate, please? This is news to me.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Could you elaborate, please? This is news to me.
News back in or before 2015:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...dit-card-deals

If AA is going to hand off more/all of NYC-LON/LON-NYC to BA, the target market for AA credit cards in the UK won’t be what it has been.

I just hope BA credit cards in the US stay what they are, and I don’t really mind the AA credit cards ending in the UK as I wasn’t in the market for that before or now.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

News back in or before 2015:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...dit-card-deals

If AA is going to hand off more/all of NYC-LON/LON-NYC to BA, the target market for AA credit cards in the UK won’t be what it has been.

I just hope BA credit cards in the US stay what they are, and I don’t really mind the AA credit cards ending in the UK as I wasn’t in the market for that before or now.
Thank you. Interesting, and the 3-year rule fits. But wouldn't that mean that the profit margin of the AmEx card would have shrunk to the same level of that of the VISA card, and could not AA have kept us loyal by letting us keep that (with its lower mileage earning rate)?
Old May 20, 2018, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
D e l e t e.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 20, 2018 at 3:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.