Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why is my companion #3 on the UG list when I am #1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is my companion #3 on the UG list when I am #1?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
The few times I have been upgraded and my husband not, I offered it to him and he declined. Not sure why there appears to be an expectation on this forum that the non-upgraded companion should get the upgraded seat as the baseline.
I usually see it on the board more as a result of a male offering the first class seat to his female companion. I don't see it mentioned as much the other way.

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Gate agent told me the new system no longer lets them manipulate the upgrade order.
In the future, I'd just be clear that you're not asking them to manipulate the order, but to make sure that she's properly set up as your companion since she should be inheriting your status and something is obviously not working correctly for you two to be separated on the list.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jordyn
In the future, I'd just be clear that you're not asking them to manipulate the order, but to make sure that she's properly set up as your companion since she should be inheriting your status and something is obviously not working correctly for you two to be separated on the list.
I did that.

With the supervisor who came over to help.

They said they cannot move anyone with the new system.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by mikeef
I usually see it on the board more as a result of a male offering the first class seat to his female companion. I don't see it mentioned as much the other way.

Mike
Well, I'm a man too, but that doesn't really matter.

It's more my personal annoyance that in every situation like this there is an insinuation that the companion not ending up in the upgraded seat is some societal failing that needs to be commented on, regardless of the decisions of the two people actually involved.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Companion tagging along on an elite's status for 500-mi upgrades was not a policy change.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum
The few times I have been upgraded and my husband not, I offered it to him and he declined. Not sure why there appears to be an expectation on this forum that the non-upgraded companion should get the upgraded seat as the baseline.
Regardless of whether or not their spouse/SO accepts, I have an expectation that any spouse/SO should at least offer the upgraded seat. Like another poster mentioned, many of us get to ride in the front of the bus quite often.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by OnShortFinal
Regardless of whether or not their spouse/SO accepts, I have an expectation that any spouse/SO should at least offer the upgraded seat. Like another poster mentioned, many of us get to ride in the front of the bus quite often.
I certainly agree there!

Back OT - AA always seemed to have a problem with the list when the people traveling were both elites, but at different levels. Usually the check in agent would be able to fix it in my experience, but it could be a hassle.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:47 am

I certainly agree there!

Back OT - AA always seemed to have a problem with the list when the people traveling were both elites, but at different levels. Usually the check in agent would be able to fix it in my experience, but it could be a hassle.
Yes, but that doesn't sound like the case here if OP's girlfriend has no status. May be worth writing to customer service just to ask what happened since it seems like the computer was doing the wrong thing here.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
In this instance my wife has higher status than I do but if only one clears she'll always get that upgrade. It may be somewhat old fashioned nowadays and I'll probably get attacked by social justice warriors, but chivalry isn't totally dead yet.

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
The non-upgraded person is more than likely someone without status and rarely gets to experience an upgrade.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If the upgrade had a cost that was being expensed, it would be a violation of expense policy to give it to my spouse.

Otherwise, it depends. I’m 2.5x her size so if only one, I take it UNLESS it’s a red eye, then she gets it as she needs her sleep more than me.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

OP here.

Flying MIA-PHX in 3 days.

My complimentary upgrade cleared two days ago with EF showing J4. Seatmap shows 4 empty seats in FC.it also shows C1 for award availability.

My companion was not upgraded at the same time.

Wouldnt they upgrade us together?

Im worried about where she is going to be on the airport list if it comes to that.

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 26, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:01 am

OP here.

Flying MIA-PHX in 3 days.

My complimentary upgrade cleared two days ago with EF showing J4. Seatmap shows 4 empty seats in FC.it also shows C1 for award availability.

My companion was not upgraded at the same time.

Wouldnt they upgrade us together?

Im worried about where she is going to be on the airport list if it comes to that.
If you've got the miles, I'd go for a happy girlfriend and do a miles+copay to get her that C1 upgrade.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
U might want to checkout some of the wikis on when a companion inherits ur status. Everyone else seems to understand it.

Originally Posted by ckx2
This seems to be very inconsistent. My +1 was either right below me or spread widely apart - both on SWU and both at the airport upgrade list. Both on International flights.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Coming from DL this situation is frustrating.

Our AUA-MIA flight on Tuesday is showing J7 and I was upgraded automatically today but my companion is still sitting in Y.

Her AA app Shows “not offered” for upgrades on the AUA-MIA leg.

is this the norm for domestic upgrades with an EXP and a non-status companion now?

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 26, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
Are u all linked and did u request an upgrade for your companion?

Coming from DL this situation is frustrating.

Our AUA-MIA flight on Tuesday is showing J7 and I was upgraded automatically today but my companion is still sitting in Y.

Her AA app Shows “not offered” for upgrades on the AUA-MIA leg.

is this the norm for domestic upgrades with an EXP and a non-status companion now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.