Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do you sometimes hope for a service failure to get comp miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you sometimes hope for a service failure to get comp miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kb9522
I'm curious... Where does one fly, when one actually has nowhere to be?
Coming home. Haha. Whether I get back Fri evening or Sat... once in a while, not a big deal.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
"Hope" is a loaded term, especially since there are more reliable ways to score extra miles. The way I see it, it's cheaper for the airline to comp complaining flyers with miles than it is to hire mystery shoppers. But there's no telling how much you can get for one complaint vs another. I once complained about how the IFE system was turned off for the duration of a transatlantic flight in order to conserve power, and got a very generous comp, considering I had an iPod Touch and other things to entertain me. I have also complained about more serious things (e.g., a toilet that was out of order on another transatlantic flight), and didn't get comped anywhere near that much (I wasn't comped at all when I complained about a profoundly deaf passenger and a child well under 15 years old being seated next to me in an exit row on a codeshare flight). I make a point of never asking for comp outright, but simply following my complaint with "please advise." Before I make a complaint, I check FT for similar complaints filed, to make sure it's worth my while.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by milehound
I once complained about how the IFE system was turned off for the duration of a transatlantic flight in order to conserve power, and got a very generous comp, considering I had an iPod Touch and other things to entertain me. I have also complained about more serious things (e.g., a toilet that was out of order on another transatlantic flight), and didn't get comped anywhere near that much (I wasn't comped at all when I complained about a profoundly deaf passenger and a child well under 15 years old being seated next to me in an exit row on a codeshare flight).
If this is parody, bravo.

If this isn't, then wow.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes. Whenever flying back from France or the UK, if there is a delay, I always hope that it is long enough to trigger the maximum EC261 compensation. I really hate the medium delays that are annoying but not long enough to lead to any compensation. Sometimes, I see a cancellation as an opportunity. I get to enjoy France or the UK for one more day and I get to collect 600 euros.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The miles offered never really compensate for the level of disruption or inconvenience that would cause me to complain and/or get offered miles proactively. However, in my one case of being able to take advantage of EC261 compensation I'd say it was worth it. 600 euros apiece plus reimbursement for our ground expenses was nice.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Never. I'd much rather my flights go as planned and arrive my destination on time. The few times I submitted a complaint all I got was a "sorry for the inconvenience" email, so compensation is not guaranteed.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I'm at about 90% leisure flying now. Generally I've got nothing but time when I'm flying. I'll jump at the opportunity to volunteer for VDB. I wouldn't say I *hope* for things to go wrong, but when things do go wrong on the way home, I do get a bit of joy out of the compensation I know I'll receive... That said, if I have problems on the outbound, it's as if the sky is falling. When I want to leave town, I. Want. To. Leave. Town.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
No....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.