Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Project One Airline cost reduction plan - discussion and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project One Airline cost reduction plan - discussion and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by muishkin
The slides don't point to any cuts in elite benefits. They seem to be primarily about improvements to operations, airport technology, fleet management and other business processes.
I would think DUIg and co know better than to put explicity write stuff like that on slides that are going to be widely circulated on the internet
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by daron4000
The 13% data point never made any sense to me and now I understand why - they used the Sunday after Thanksgiving as the data point for their analysis. Of course you would expect more one-off leisure travelers on this day. While some road warriors may have traveled to see family, most I know would be doing whatever they could to stay home for the holiday instead of getting on another plane. I would hazard to guess that if they picked a random Monday during the year, the mix of regular vs. once-a-year fliers would look very different.
It's not clear from this slide whether the 13% applies to the 500,000 passengers from the day after Thanksgiving, or if they're just touting the 500K number because it's the busiest travel day of the year and hence their peak volume and the other statistics are actual annual aggregates.

I totally agree that if they just looked at traffic patterns for that particular day they'd get wildly atypical results, but it seems so stupid that it's hard to imagine that's what they actually did.

Maybe if someone on FlyerTalk is an industry analyst or a shareholder, they can ask on the next earnings call or annual meeting to get to the bottom of this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I would think DUIg and co know better than to put explicity write stuff like that on slides that are going to be widely circulated on the internet

Sure but given what I know, AA could save a lot more through operational improvements, upgrading to advanced decision/planning tools and increase automation rather than cutting some PDBs.

Some interesting stuff from those slides.

Aircraft Taxi Management technologies: could this be a similar technology to CDM?. Or maybe some integrated airport pushback control like the one described in this well-known paper (in the field) by Hamsa Balakrishnan's team at MIT?

Flight route, re-route planning, and optimize aircraft warranty recoveries: is AA finally going to employ "advanced" (it is in quotation because the research is fairly old) mathematical techniques to optimize scheduling and schedule recovery?

New airport ramp technologies: I wonder if this means new autonomous ramps which would eliminate the ramp workers.

New cargo operating system: autonomous or mostly autonomous cargo systems are being developed. Like the ramp, I wonder if this means the elimination of the majority of the cargo workers as well.

Improved asset/gate utilization at hub. Is AA finally going to implement mathematical optimization-based gate assignment scheme at their hubs. See this paper as an example of research in this area.

Redesign schedule seasonality. Has AA finally found a better model for predicting seasonal variability and its impact on routes?

Concentrate wide-body hub deployment. Wait you mean AA doesn't do this already?
george 3 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
With most big corporations, if an outsider makes a friendly cost-saving suggestion then you can be sure that the company will _NOT_ implement the idea.
Amusing, if completely untrue
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
And here is that famous data point about 87% of AA's customers only fly once a year (which I posted about in the other thread).

While I realize this was a presentation for Investors' Day, I'm curious how AA might convert some of that 87% to more than once-a-year fliers, because once a year does not have any loyalty or reason to come back to AA (expect for lowest price and being a hub-captive)
What I like about this data is:

87% of customers fly ONCE per year or LESS

I would like to assume the following:
1, Customers may not mean passengers. Although they used heading of Passengers. It is confusing.
2, Less than once a year could mean flew once during their lifetime or not flying at all.

So there are several issues here:
1, Did AA count all dormant account in AAdvantage?
2. Did AA discount all non-rev passengers?
3, How about passengers with the same name, did AA actually go through the trouble to make sure people with same names are separated or combined the people did not register AA account?

I can totally see this happening: in International routes, there are bulk fares sold by travel agents. These passengers generate a certain degree of revenue and large in numbers. They would never come back to AA again as it is likely this trip to USA in group would be their lifetime trip. Shouldn't AA discount these traffic in order to achieve their conclusion that passengers travel by lowest price??

Thus me think the research is biased and flawed.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
You - and several others in this thread - are turning yourself inside out trying to discredit the data without pointing to any data yourselves. AA execs may be selective in terms of what they share but they're not amateurs - as you are, apparently.

Most Americans don't fly at all in any given calendar year. Not-one-single-flight.

Based on data from the Omnibus Household Survey, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics estimates that about one out of every three (74 million) adult US residents flew at least once on a commercial airline during the 12 months prior to the survey.

That study is ~15 years old but BTS knows what they're doing.

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r...pdf/entire.pdf

As muishkin pointed out, the list of areas for investigation is ops-related, not directly customer-facing. I wouldn't predict that the a la carte craze has ended but catering and elite benefits don't seem to be the focus here.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Most Americans don't fly at all in any given calendar year. Not-one-single-flight.
Heck, my parents have only flown like twice in 20 years!

FT has developed a very warped sense of traveling norms...

Regards
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:40 am

here:
3, How about passengers with the same name, did AA actually go through the trouble to make sure people with same names are separated or combined the people did not register AA account?
They counted unique passengers, disambiguating by name (and possibly birthdate). Utterly standard analysis that every company does.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Sure taking the olives out of first class salads can produce some savings--but nothing like the scale of a few hundred million per annum. When airlines are looking at cutting costs on that scale, there's really only a handful of line items that are going to produce meaningful numbers: Labour, Fuel, Capital costs (financing and lease payments).

Cutting labour cost can come from reductions in strength, through process automation (more self-service on the ground), more contracting out and through recruitment of new employees to replace retiring employees on less generous terms. Look to see two-tier labour agreements, banking on existing bargaining unit members negotiating to keep their retirement benefits at the expense of new hires' earnings.

Cutting fuel means fleet replacement and more effective aircraft utilization. Fleet replacement comes at a capital cost, though. More effective aircraft utilization puts savings at the mercy of contingencies. Dispatchers at hubs are severely challenged already to put plane, crew, cargo and self-loading cargo at the same stand at the same time. The more that aircraft turnaround and crew hours are pushed to the margins the more challenging that will become. Look for on-time performance to suffer and MCTs to become increasingly fictional.

Capital and financing will be interesting in the next few years. The era of dirt cheap borrowing is not sustainable, and when it ends, the airline has to be ready not only for increased borrowing costs on its aircraft financing, but also a downturn in revenue. Look for lots of old equipment to be for the chopping block to reduce capacity, and for some new equipment to be sold to lessors.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
$800 million in increased "cobranding" revenue - 2015 --> 2018???

This one is a headscratcher - Slide shows credit cards, which have become more difficult to churn, benefits have been reduced, mileage redemption significantly devalued. From this perspective, I would expect to see a reduction in total revenue, possible gains in the value of the Aadvantage program.

What else could they be referring to?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You - and several others in this thread - are turning yourself inside out trying to discredit the data without pointing to any data yourselves. AA execs may be selective in terms of what they share but they're not amateurs - as you are, apparently.
Is there anything wrong for someone to question the method and findings? Or you think everyone should just accept anything the 'authority' tells you?

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and should freely expressed themselves based on their understanding. Your criticism is harsh and are against the principle of free speech as well as the principle of any scientific research should be questioned before acceptance.

Of course we are amateurs, that is why we are questioning the data. We do not know exactly the methods of this research that is why we ask the questions. As you state AA execs may be selective in terms, which means there is a biased base. What is wrong to question the figure correlate to AA execs's selective use of such data?

What is the good it is if there is no amateurs or stupid people like us questioning the numbers quoted by already 'selective' quotations? And what is the good it is or what the point of discussion if us amateurs and stupid people just say oh yeah the AA execs are right and what is the next?

Based on data from the Omnibus Household Survey, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics estimates that about one out of every three (74 million) adult US residents flew at least once on a commercial airline during the 12 months prior to the survey.

That study is ~15 years old but BTS knows what they're doing.

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r...pdf/entire.pdf

As muishkin pointed out, the list of areas for investigation is ops-related, not directly customer-facing. I wouldn't predict that the a la carte craze has ended but catering and elite benefits don't seem to be the focus here.
Originally Posted by rjw242
They counted unique passengers, disambiguating by name (and possibly birthdate). Utterly standard analysis that every company does.
Are you two talking about the same thing here? One is saying the data is from survey and another is saying someone has gone through the whole passenger data base. Of course us stupid people are really confused when two brilliant minds talk in separate terms.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:48 am

Are you two talking about the same thing here? One is saying the data is from survey and another is saying someone has gone through the whole passenger data base. Of course us stupid people are really confused when two brilliant minds talk in separate terms.
No, we're talking about different but related things. AA's stats would be from their passenger database (unique customers really is one of the most basic metrics a company tracks). The study cited by 3Cforme is not connected to AA but speaks to Americans' larger travel patterns, and supports the statement that the vast majority of unique passengers are infrequent flyers.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
What I like about this data is:

87% of customers fly ONCE per year or LESS

I would like to assume the following:
1, Customers may not mean passengers. Although they used heading of Passengers. It is confusing.
2, Less than once a year could mean flew once during their lifetime or not flying at all.

So there are several issues here:

I can totally see this happening: in International routes, there are bulk fares sold by travel agents. These passengers generate a certain degree of revenue and large in numbers. They would never come back to AA again as it is likely this trip to USA in group would be their lifetime trip. Shouldn't AA discount these traffic in order to achieve their conclusion that passengers travel by lowest price??

I'd love to be listening in on an analyst phone call a few years in the future if 50% of the 87% said we're flying jetBlue, Spirit, et al. Wonder how they will spin that?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:01 am

Which way is it biased?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Is there anything wrong for someone to question the method and findings? Or you think everyone should just accept anything the 'authority' tells you?

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and should freely expressed themselves based on their understanding. Your criticism is harsh and are against the principle of free speech as well as the principle of any scientific research should be questioned before acceptance.

Of course we are amateurs, that is why we are questioning the data. We do not know exactly the methods of this research that is why we ask the questions. As you state AA execs may be selective in terms, which means there is a biased base. What is wrong to question the figure correlate to AA execs's selective use of such data?

What is the good it is if there is no amateurs or stupid people like us questioning the numbers quoted by already 'selective' quotations? And what is the good it is or what the point of discussion if us amateurs and stupid people just say oh yeah the AA execs are right and what is the next?

The real question is why you repeated yourself in four paragraphs asking the same question in each?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.