Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL or ORD Which would you rather change through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, Azamara, Princess, RCI & more

Trying to decide which flights to take to/from Venice. We can either go through PHL or ORD. We have GOES for re-entry into the US. Which airport would you rather change through and why?

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:14 pm

If I'm connecting, I tend to pick whichever airport has a Plan B if there are any issues with flights....from your home airport to either ORD or PHL and from ORD/PHL to VCE. Neither airport is particularly worth specifically selecting or avoiding IMHO.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
What class of service are you in? Do you have any elite status with AA? (matters for lounge access.)

Without that info:

I'd take ORD on the way to Venice, PHL on the way back.

The international to domestic transfer process at ORD is my least favorite airport experience in the US. The international terminal at ORD is a completely separate building and involves a unpleasant train transfer after leaving the international terminal (T5). The baggage reclaim process at T5 is painfully slow in my experience, and I've been selected for secondary customs screening (even with Global Entry) more times at ORD than any other US airport.

PHL is much easier.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
PHL will have the new Amex centurion lounge, and ORD has the new flagship lounge... which would only be a factor if you have an Amex platinum card or are flying in business class. PHL has the minute suites if you have a long layover. Both airports have a few decent dining options.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

We'd be in Bus. Class both ways.

Here's my dilemma:

do we sit around & wait until the 2:50pm flight out of VCE (sitting in the airport for 4.5 hrs. and I've heard VCE doesn't have a bus. class lounge) and go through ORD
OR
spend 4 hrs. 45 mins. in PHL and leave VCE earlier?

Also, I understand the flights between VCE and ORD & PHL aren't "approved" by the government yet. Anyone know when that will happen or IF?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by bse118
...I'd take ORD on the way to Venice, PHL on the way back.

The international to domestic transfer process at ORD is my least favorite airport experience in the US. The international terminal at ORD is a completely separate building and involves a unpleasant train transfer after leaving the international terminal (T5). The baggage reclaim process at T5 is painfully slow in my experience, and I've been selected for secondary customs screening (even with Global Entry) more times at ORD than any other US airport.
PHL is much easier.
Okay, I think that is exactly what we'll do. Thanks for explaining the gnarly process at ORD when arriving from an international destination & going to domestic.

I appreciate everyone's help!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lady Jag
We'd be in Bus. Class both ways.

Here's my dilemma:

do we sit around & wait until the 2:50pm flight out of VCE (sitting in the airport for 4.5 hrs. and I've heard VCE doesn't have a bus. class lounge) and go through ORD
OR
spend 4 hrs. 45 mins. in PHL and leave VCE earlier?

Also, I understand the flights between VCE and ORD & PHL aren't "approved" by the government yet. Anyone know when that will happen or IF?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

JDiver-Well, that is good to know. The person who told me there's no bus. class lounge access is wrong then! Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think I'd probably choose ORD both ways. Even with the T5 arrival saga on the return - at the end of the day it's a longer flight in business class, a 787 and much nicer lounge at ORD during the connection. Not sure where your final destination is but I'd prefer a shorter domestic flight and longer TATL flight.
jpsj likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I think I'd probably choose ORD both ways. Even with the T5 arrival saga on the return - at the end of the day it's a longer flight in business class, a 787 and much nicer lounge at ORD during the connection. Not sure where your final destination is but I'd prefer a shorter domestic flight and longer TATL flight.
Agree. ORD on the way there, definitely. Slight preference for ORD on the way back.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I'd probably go ORD both ways to use the new Flagship lounge both ways. Admittedly, I lived in Chicago from 2009-2013 so I got to know and not hate ORD (you just have to know how ORD works, or doesn't work, in varying conditions and go with the flow....much like the NYC airports I tolerate now).

If OP did not have Global Entry, I would probably change my answer for the return. ORD mid-afternoon T5 immigration mayhem is what made me get Global Entry in the first place. But since OP has GE, the train transfer from T5-T3, while not ideal, really is rather simple and quick and would not sway my answer.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
... But since OP has GE, the train transfer from T5-T3, while not ideal, really is rather simple and quick and would not sway my answer.
Oh, I hate everything about the T5 arrival process, even with GE, not just the train.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
PHL = LUS = dump

ORD all the way
jpsj likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Ord - ord - ord!
jpsj and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:12 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
A shower after a long flight is the sweetest amenity in the entire frequent flyer realm. For that reason, I'd chose ORD over PHL. When PHL installs some showers, it might be a game changer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.