FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1873248-bumped-tatl-j-award-seat-new-flights-merge.html)

MSPeconomist Oct 24, 2017 8:48 am

Thirty years ago would be about 1987. Back then, there weren't nearly as many movie or music choices on flights with AVOD (if there was even first generation AVOD available in the late 1980s--my guess is that it first appeared on commercial aircraft in about the mid 1990s) and there were certainly lots of aircraft flying around with overhead screens for in flight movies, meaning that there was no choice whatsoever.

Hence I don't find it credible that the OP really experienced the worst movie choices in over three decades of international travel.

andersonCooper Oct 24, 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28970333)
Thirty years ago would be about 1987. Back then, there weren't nearly as many movie or music choices on flights with AVOD (if there was even first generation AVOD available in the late 1980s--my guess is that it first appeared on commercial aircraft in about the mid 1990s) and there were certainly lots of aircraft flying around with overhead screens for in flight movies, meaning that there was no choice whatsoever.

Hence I don't find it credible that the OP really experienced the worst movie choices in over three decades of international travel.

Agree. AA's IFE selections, IMO, are one of the few things that are better than CX's, and nowhere close to being "pathetic". I did 3 back to back TPAC with CX this past couple weeks and still felt ok (That's 15*6=90 hours in flight). In between the 3, I did 2 transcon with AA, and was pleasantly happy with the movie offers, from recent ones Wonder Woman, Spiderman homecoming, to the classics.

rjque Oct 24, 2017 9:02 am

I am glad to hear that AA is proactively dealing with these FAM issues. It is an inconvenience for the OP, though.

<redacted>

craz Oct 24, 2017 9:07 am

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 28960411)

Kudos to AA for handling this perfectly.

If it was handled perfectly then a seat would have been blocked off from get go.Unless it was in fact a FAM or as by me they sold a very expensive last min tkt.

Alot better then showing up for the flight and then being informed

Was downgraded myself on US after the merge got Zippo and thats what they had to give.(former partners award tkt)

OP AA doesnt have to give anything and the fact that you dont want to fly them isnt their problem

Last Mon upon desending into ZRH (on way way to JFK) the Capt told us that only a handful of bags were loaded due to the strike that went into affect. I was angry since had they said something before we left I would have gotten off (good thing they didnt both of bags were loaded in the end) The FA I was speaking to told me BAs 777 came in full and went out full of passengers and the bags that were inbounding from LHR werent off loaded and went back to LHR = 2 plane loads of passengers didnt have their bags not the arriving ones or those who flew to LHR

I wish they gave me $500 even as funny money

andersonCooper Oct 24, 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 28970380)
I am glad to hear that AA is proactively dealing with these FAM issues. It is an inconvenience for the OP, though.

<redacted>

I think we absolutely welcome the irregular, above-and-beyond-expectation and surprising advice on schedule changes, J seats and movie selection that matches OP's situation with the reality we are in.

enpremiere Oct 24, 2017 9:34 am

The OP's issue actually seems to have had a pretty positive outcome without having to have have put in much effort given the alternatives! (1) A pro-active call before showing up at the airport and finding out that there was only room in coach (2) Routing retained in business TATL - albeit a couple of hours more or less on similar aircraft (3) $1K of AA funny money.

No need for a drawn-out back/forth about releasing award seats, courtesy compensation, or an otherwise stressful airport arrival surprise. The possible last minute FAM seat allocation could have happened on any US carrier so it's more of a question of looking at how AA handled (which they seemed to have done quite well).

Dave Noble Oct 24, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 28970141)
The original flight DFW MAD was shown as 11 hours on a 787.

DFW-MAD is scheduled at 9 hours vs 7hrs 15 minutes for JFK-MAD, so would have had about 1hr 45 minutes longer

Dave Noble Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 28970402)

Last Mon upon desending into ZRH (on way way to JFK) the Capt told us that only a handful of bags were loaded due to the strike that went into affect. I was angry since had they said something before we left I would have gotten off (good thing they didnt both of bags were loaded in the end) The FA I was speaking to told me BAs 777 came in full and went out full of passengers and the bags that were inbounding from LHR werent off loaded and went back to LHR = 2 plane loads of passengers didnt have their bags not the arriving ones or those who flew to LHR

I wish they gave me $500 even as funny money

If the luggage had been delayed, then AA would have been liable up to XDR1131 ( Approx $1592 ) for things that you would have had to purchase due to the delay, so you could get $500 in real money if you ended up buying things

arlflyer Oct 24, 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 28970380)
I am glad to hear that AA is proactively dealing with these FAM issues.

I wonder how much money airlines have made over the years selling last-minute, high-fare tickets to big business customers with the assurance that FTers will just automatically and with 100% certainty attribute it to an FAM? Probably gives them a good bit of headroom. :p

Happy Oct 24, 2017 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 28970297)
No sympathy here for OP.

Net net, being paid $1000 for: free tickets, keeping J, having to make 3 first world phone calls, and getting into one's destination early is a good deal!

But if OP is still bent, perhaps donating the $1000 vouchers to Make-a-Wish, The Wounded Warrior project, or a similar charity, would alleviate the need to fly AA again, after the trip is completed.

This!

Yes, there were inconvenience to re-do all the previous arrangements, but those were relatively EASY while at home, and with "first world phone calls" - thank you for pointing this out.

The arrival is NOT delay but 6 hours ahead, so no effect on boarding a cruise, plus avoid the transit at MAD during industrial action (and potential loss of luggage).

For all the above, she was given $1000 worth of travel vouchers. If she is so disgusted on the "useless" money because she would not ever fly AA again, DONATE that to a charity organization for the holiday fund raising party so that can be used as raffle prize and the proceeds can benefit the needy people who dont have to worry about such first world problem!

The rant is really pathetic. :td:

ijgordon Oct 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 28970141)
The original flight DFW MAD was shown as 11 hours on a 787.

I doubt that. MAD-DFW, possibly (though really only in winter), but not DFW-MAD.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28970651)
DFW-MAD is scheduled at 9 hours vs 7hrs 15 minutes for JFK-MAD, so would have had about 1hr 45 minutes longer

BCN is a little further than MAD, and the JFK schedule has a little extra padding for taxiing. If you look at the last few days on FlightAware, wheels-up to wheels-down times were ~6.5h on JFK-BCN and ~8.5h on DFW-MAD, so in reality closer to a 2 hour difference.