Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Status Increase Based on EQD? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Status Increase Based on EQD? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
By buying more expensive fares, people will get more EQDs. People buying cheap premium fares will earn less EQDs but are benefitting by lower spend. Having a minimum EQD doesn't seem to make much sense
The rewards side of the program can be linear. The loyalty side should not be linear.

The purpose of a loyalty program is not to do a direct linear rewards. It is to encourage a certain set of behaviors that incentivizes a customer to “buy up”.

People buying Premium fares, even discount ones are demonstrating that they are willing to look beyond just price. They are willing to look for added value and pay for that added value. These are the ppl you want to reward with perks to encourage them to keep coming back. Someone who consistently buys W today over Y can over time be the person that buys J.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by cova
What kind of tickets are you buying? F/J or coach?

If you buy business you get double EQM, so at $13K EQM I suspect some of those are J - so likely you really have only flown something like 30+ BIS miles.

If you only buy F/J fares - then you only need to fly 50K miles to get 100K EQM for EXP along with the $12K EQD.

I would find it hard to only get 60K EQM with $13K spend.

With max. Credit Card bonuses (20K EQM and $6K EQD) - and only buying J fares, EXP can be had for:

1. Flying 40K miles (40K miles flown in J x 2 = 80 EQM + 20 EQM bonus from CC's = 100K EQM)
2. Spending $6K ($6K spend + $6K bonus EQD)
Commuter flights in a premium cabin?

It's not unfathomable, and clearly not impossible as OP has found himself in this situation.... and despite your disbelief, no less!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
The rewards side of the program can be linear. The loyalty side should not be linear.

The purpose of a loyalty program is not to do a direct linear rewards. It is to encourage a certain set of behaviors that incentivizes a customer to “buy up”.

People buying Premium fares, even discount ones are demonstrating that they are willing to look beyond just price. They are willing to look for added value and pay for that added value. These are the ppl you want to reward with perks to encourage them to keep coming back. Someone who consistently buys W today over Y can over time be the person that buys J.
Those buying premium fares are paying more for their tickets and are so getting a higher number of EQDs . This seems just to be a suggestion that a certain subset of flyers be able to attain status by spending less than others

Someone consistently buying premium economy will consistently be getting more EQDs than someone buying very cheap economy fares ; that person may well however still be spending less than some of the more expensive economy fares
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
I'm probably a fairly average business passenger. Unfortunately my company won't pay for anything but economy. In the past I've made EXP a number of times, and this year I'll likely barely get there due the EQD situation. Unfortunately I got the Citi Executive MC which gave me 10k EQM at $40k of spend, but didn't help out at all with the EQD situation. Adding EQD requirements could make previously loyal people, such as myself, look to other carriers if the requirements keep getting more difficult on AA. And I think there are a LOT of people in a similar situation.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
I am in the opposite boat (or aircraft). Started doing every other week PHX - SJC at 620 miles in April. We can't book out more than a week, so I pay $350 - $600 RT. I did a challenge to get PLAT based on the segments, but so far this year for 6 months of flying I am at:

6,414 EQD
20,924 EQM
31 EQS

So I would be just barely gold now had I not done the challenge.

Double that and that would be about a yer of travel for me, and just barely making PLAT status with ~$13k in spend.

On top of that:
  • Can't upgrade a 620 mile flight without stickers (not that there's ever anyone below EXP who gets upgraded on that route anyway)
  • I have to constantly check seats in order to get MCE and only get it about 1/2 the time on Monday mornings
  • First class 2 weeks out is almost always less than I pay for coach

I am in the "I'd LOVE to see an EQD only option" camp!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
High spend (or controls high spend) is CK. The rest is a formula. It makes no sense for AA to bump you up from Plat to Plat Pro without meeting its published criteria until and unless it decides not to offer a buy-up.

If AA does offer a buy-up toward the end of the year, it is bargaining against itself by giving away what it can sell. If it does not, the question becomes whether there are people it believes will spend more next year if they get some love now.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyinMike

On top of that:
  • Can't upgrade a 620 mile flight without stickers (not that there's ever anyone below EXP who gets upgraded on that route anyway)
  • I have to constantly check seats in order to get MCE and only get it about 1/2 the time on Monday mornings
  • First class 2 weeks out is almost always less than I pay for coach
Why wouldn't you buy first then? We've got an absolutely no first policy at work, but at least our corporate travel agent reprices us into first if it's cheaper than coach.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
What kind of tickets are you buying? F/J or coach?

If you buy business you get double EQM, so at $13K EQM I suspect some of those are J - so likely you really have only flown something like 30+ BIS miles.

If you only buy F/J fares - then you only need to fly 50K miles to get 100K EQM for EXP along with the $12K EQD.

With max. Credit Card bonuses (20K EQM and $6K EQD) - and only buying J fares, EXP can be had for:

1. Flying 40K miles (40K miles flown in J x 2 = 80 EQM + 20 EQM bonus from CC's = 100K EQM)
2. Spending $6K ($6K spend + $6K bonus EQD)
It's not hard to imagine. I'm in the same boat.

I've flown 26 round trips ORD-DFW this year for work. 1,604 EQM in economy, and usually $400-$500 per roundtrip.

That's just under 42k EQM and 13k EQD on the year. I'll be lucky to qualify for Platinum Pro by the end of the year without a mileage run.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by OnShortFinal
I've flown 26 round trips ORD-DFW this year for work. 1,604 EQM in economy, and usually $400-$500 per roundtrip.

That's just under 42k EQM and 13k EQD on the year. I'll be lucky to qualify for Platinum Pro by the end of the year without a mileage run.
I, for one, am thankful that AA does not grant status to someone simply because he/she (or more likely, their employer) overspends on airfare.

We hear constant tales of "I spend much more on airfare than most reasonable people spend". I'm not sure how to react. Sympathy? Envy? Respect? Pity? I'm willing to bet that when people buy their own airline tickets, they shop for a better price. Yes, I know, this is a generalization on my part. Still, I can think of just one reason why someone would spend $500 on a ticket which can easily be bought for $200: they're spending someone else's money. And, yes, AA grants CK status for doing exactly that ... but you hafta do a LOT of it, like 50K a year.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by IvanCU
Adding EQD requirements could make previously loyal people, such as myself, look to other carriers if the requirements keep getting more difficult on AA. And I think there are a LOT of people in a similar situation.
Unfortunately for you, those are exactly the types of "loyal" customers AA is perfectly happy to lose.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I, for one, am thankful that AA does not grant status to someone simply because he/she (or more likely, their employer) overspends on airfare.
But isn’t that the most valuable flyer to an airline? The one who spends the most per mile flown?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by deeruck
Why wouldn't you buy first then? We've got an absolutely no first policy at work, but at least our corporate travel agent reprices us into first if it's cheaper than coach.
First is never the same or less on phx-sjc. I did see it once a couple of years back on phx-oak and booked it, but that was a fluke.

It would be nice to have multiple ways to qualify. For example, Hhonors diamond is easy to get on spend when you stay in San Jose a lot. They let you qualify on spend, stays, or nights. Airlines should move to a similar model if they want to encourage high spend.

When traveling for work, schedule trumps all. Most fares are about the same for all carriers between 2 points, so its more about the potential benefits of flying AA vs another carrier.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: LH HON

You should tell this to one of my colleagues. He's on a year-long project duty for a client with offices just outside of LGA - he's based in BOS. Up until today he made about 20-22 of those trips and thus has around 18k EQD, but less than 90k EQM.

Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
And, yes, AA grants CK status for doing exactly that ... but you hafta do a LOT of it, like 50K a year.
I wish. I'm at 60 with no consideration so far!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't understand why AA doesn't allow qualification by EQD as a standalone path to status.
It is still a frequent flyer program, not just about $$. The main purpose is to encourage people to be more loyal. By having two tiers, a small spender will be encouraged to spend more, a big spender will not be rewarded for just 1 or 2 flights either.

If the airlines didn't have a mileage requirement, someone that flies paid J might just alternate airlines to gain top status in all of them, rather than be loyal. Granted paid J flyers don't use too many 'extra' elite benefits, but many do still care about the status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.